2013 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
|2013 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl|
|Date||December 21, 2013|
|Favorite||Buffalo by 3|
|Referee||Jeff Hilyer (Sun Belt)|
|Payout||US$$325,000 per team|
|United States TV coverage|
|Announcers||Clay Matvick (play-by-play), Matt Stinchcomb (analyst), Dawn Davenport (sidelines)|
The 2013 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl was an American college football bowl game that was played on December 21, 2013 at Bronco Stadium on the campus of Boise State University in Boise, Idaho. The seventeenth annual Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, it featured the Buffalo Bulls of the Mid-American Conference against the San Diego State Aztecs of the Mountain West Conference. It began at 3:30 p.m. MST and aired on ESPN. It was one of the 2013–14 bowl games that concluded the 2013 FBS football season. San Diego State defeated Buffalo, 49–24.
The Bulls accepted their invitation after earning an 8–4 record in their season, while the Aztecs accepted their invitation after earning a 7–5 record in theirs.
The Bulls returned to their winning ways this season, finishing at 8–4 overall and 6–2 in conference play, good for second place in the MAC's East Division. At season's end, bowl director Kevin McDonald extended an invitation to the Bulls to play in the game.
This was Buffalo's first Famous Idaho Potato Bowl appearance. The University at Buffalo was led by Khalil Mack, who was the MAC Defensive Player of the Year, with team-high 94 tackles, 19 TFLs, 10.5 sacks, three interceptions and five forced fumbles. Buffalo has seven players named to All-MAC Teams, with five on the first team.
San Diego State Aztecs
The Aztecs continued their recent winning ways this season, finishing at 7–5 overall and 6–2 in conference play, good for second place in the Mountain West's West Division. At season's end, bowl director Kevin McDonald extended an invitation to the Aztecs to play in the game.
This will be San Diego State's first Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, setting a school-record fourth consecutive bowl game. Quarterback Quinn Kaehler has thrown for 2,796 yards and 17 touchdowns for coach Rocky Long this season.
|Total offense, plays – yards||68–309||70–460|
|Passing yards (net)||196||211|
|Time of Possession||27:27||32:24|
|Buffalo||Position||San Diego State|
|Fred Lee||WR||Ezell Ruffin|
|John Kling||LT||Bryce Quigley|
|Andre Davis||LG||Japheth Gordon|
|Trevor Sales||C||Jordan Smith|
|Dillon Guy||RG||Darrell Greene|
|Jake Silas||RT||Terry Poole|
|Matt Weiser||TE||Adam Roberts|
|Alex Neutz||WR||Colin Lockett|
|Joe Licata||QB||Quinn Kaehler|
|Branden Oliver||RB||Adam Muema|
|Kendall Patterson||FB||Chad Young|
|Beau Bachtelle||LE||Cody Galea|
|Kristjan Sokoli||NT||Dontrel Onuoha|
|Colby Way||RE||Jordan Thomas|
|Adam Redden||LOLB||Nick Tenhaeff|
|Blake Bean||LILB–MLB||Josh Gavert|
|Lee Skinner||RILB–CB||Nat Berhe|
|Khalil Mack||ROLB||Vaness Harris|
|Cortney Lester||LCB||J.J. Whittaker|
|Najja Johnson||RCB||King Holder|
|Okoye Houston||SS||Marcus Andrews|
|Derek Brim||FS||Eric Pinkins|
- Bowl Schedule, Los Angeles Times, December 10, 2013
- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Box Score
- "Quick Facts". FamousIdahoPotatoBowl.com. Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. 2013. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- "San Diego State pounds Buffalo in Potato Bowl". Associated Press. December 21, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "UB gets mashed at Potato Bowl". The Buffalo News. December 21, 2013. Archived from the original on July 21, 2015. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- "Buffalo, San Diego State Accept Invitations to Play Famous Idaho Potato Bowl" (PDF). FamousIdahoPotatoBowl.com. Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. December 8, 2013. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- "Bulls Accept Invitation to Idaho Famous Potato Bowl". UBBulls.com. University at Buffalo, The State University of New York. December 8, 2013. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- "Buffalo vs. San Diego State". ubbulls.com. Retrieved 2015-05-19.