2013 Philadelphia Phillies season
|2013 Philadelphia Phillies|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Rubén Amaro, Jr.|
|Manager(s)||Charlie Manuel (through August 16)
Ryne Sandberg (interim: August 16 – September 29)
|Local television||Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia
Comcast Network Philadelphia
(Tom McCarthy, Chris Wheeler, Gary Matthews)
|Local radio||Phillies Radio Network
WPHT 1210 AM & WIP 94.1 FM (English)
(Scott Franzke, Larry Andersen, Jim Jackson)
(Danny Martinez, Bill Kulik, Rickie Ricardo)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- December 6, 2012: Acquired Ben Revere from Minnesota Twins for Vance Worley and Trevor May.
- December 9, 2012: Acquired Michael Young from Texas Rangers for pitcher Josh Lindblom and minor league pitcher Lisalverto Bonilla.
- December 15, 2012: Signed Mike Adams to a two-year deal
- December 15, 2012: Signed John Lannan to a one-year deal
- January 22, 2013: Signed Delmon Young to a one-year deal
- January 29, 2013: Signed Chad Durbin to a one-year deal
On April 5, the Kansas City Royals beat the Philadelphia Phillies 13–4, spoiling their home opener with a sellout crowd of 45,307 at Citizens Bank Park. The interleague matchup was a rare one between teams who first met in the 1980 World Series, as the Royals previously only visited Philadelphia in 2004. Hall of Famers Mike Schmidt and George Brett, rivals when the Phillies beat the Royals to win their first championship 33 years earlier, threw out the first pitches (along with SNL's Joe Piscopo).
On August 16, 2013, the Phillies fired manager Charlie Manuel replacing him with third base coach Ryne Sandberg on an interim basis. At the time, the Phillies were 53–67, and Manuel had exactly 1,000 wins with the Phillies, a milestone he achieved on August 12. The league and fan base mostly expressed sadness and gratitude to Manuel for his tenure. Several Phillies veterans, including Chase Utley and Cole Hamels, expressed regret and guilt feeling their lack of production led to Manuel's firing; they viewed Manuel as a fatherly figure. Sandberg commented the next day, "It was a roller coaster of a day emotionally. It affected me and I think it affects the players." Manuel received significant accolades within the media for his class in handling the situation, while the Phillies organization, namely general manager Rubén Amaro, Jr., were criticized within the media for firing Manuel at that point in the season, as well as for not having better players.
National League East
|New York Mets||74||88||0.457||22||33–48||41–40|
National League Wild Card
|St. Louis Cardinals||97||65||0.599|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||92||70||0.568|
Wild Card teams|
(Top 2 qualify for 1-game playoff)
|San Diego Padres||76||86||0.469||14|
|San Francisco Giants||76||86||0.469||14|
|New York Mets||74||88||0.457||16|
Record vs. opponents
2013 National League Records
Source: NL Standings Head-to-Head
|Bold||Phillies team member|
|2013 Game Log
Overall Record: 73–89
All players who made an appearance for the Phillies during 2013 are included.
|2013 Philadelphia Phillies|
- April 5 Game Recap, from ESPN.
- Watanabe, Ben (August 17, 2013). "Charlie Manuel displays class in wake of being fired, asks fans to keep rooting for Phillies". Daily Blend – NESN.com. New England Sports Network. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Calcaterra, Craig (August 13, 2013). "Charlie Manuel wins his 1,000th game". HardballTalk. NBC Sports. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Jimenez, Tim; Quinones, Todd (August 16, 2013). "Fans sad, but not surprised by Manuel's firing". Latest News. CBS Philly. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Pianovich, Stephen (August 17, 2013). "To core Phillies players, former manager Charlie Manuel 'like a father'". MLB.com: News. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- STATS LLC (August 17, 2013). "Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Philadelphia Phillies – Preview – August 17, 2013". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Nisula, Jonathan (August 16, 2013). "Charlie Manuel reportedly out, press conference at 2:30". Phillies Nation. Phillies Nation. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Gleeman, Aaron (August 16, 2013). "Charlie Manuel is out as Phillies manager, Ryne Sandberg named interim replacement". HardballTalk. NBC Sports. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Miller, Scott (August 16, 2013). "Maybe Ryne Sandberg will help, but what Phillies need is better players". CBSSports.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 18, 2013.
- Ford, Bob (August 17, 2013). "Manuel pays for Amaro's mistakes". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved August 18, 2013.
- Stark, Jayson (August 16, 2013). "The firing of Phillies manager Charlie Manuel". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved August 18, 2013.
- 2013 Phillies Schedule, First half.
- 2013 Phillies Schedule, Second half.
- Game 14 Recap
- "2012 Philadelphia Phillies Team Roster, Payroll, Games Played". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- Leventhal, Josh, ed. (2013). Baseball America 2014 Almanac. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America. ISBN 978-1-932391-48-0.