2013 Pure Michigan 400
|Race 23 of 36 in the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season|
Michigan International Speedway
|Date||August 18, 2013|
|Location||Michigan International Speedway
|Course||Permanent racing facility
2.0 mi (3.2 km)
|Distance||200 laps, 400 mi (640 km)|
|Weather||Temperatures up to 81 °F (27 °C); wind speeds up to 4.1 miles per hour (6.6 km/h)|
|Average speed||144.593 mph (232.700 km/h)|
|Most laps led|
|Driver||Joey Logano||Penske Racing|
|No. 22||Joey Logano||Penske Racing|
|Television in the United States|
|Announcers||Allen Bestwick, Dale Jarrett and Andy Petree|
|Nielsen Ratings||3.0 (4.585 million viewers)|
The 2013 Pure Michigan 400 was a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series stock car race that was held on August 18, 2013, at Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn, Michigan. Contested over 200 laps on the 2.0-mile (3.2 km) superspeedway, it was the twenty-third race of the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season. Joey Logano of Penske Racing won the race, his first of the season. Kevin Harvick finished second while Kurt Busch, Mark Martin, and Jeff Burton rounded out the top five.
Michigan International Speedway is a four-turn superspeedway that is 2 miles (3.2 km) long. Opened in 1960, the track's turns are banked at eighteen degrees, while the 3,600-foot-long front stretch, the location of the finish line, is banked at twelve degrees. The back stretch, has a five degree banking and is 2,242 feet long. Michigan International Speedway has a grandstand seating capacity of 84,000 people. Greg Biffle was the defending race winner after winning the race in 2012.
Before the race, Jimmie Johnson was leading the Drivers' Championship with 808 points, while Clint Bowyer stood in second with 733 points. Carl Edwards followed in the third with 728, twenty-one points ahead of Kevin Harvick and thirty-five ahead of Kyle Busch in fourth and fifth. Dale Earnhardt, Jr., with 670, was in sixth; eleven ahead of Matt Kenseth, who was scored seventh. Eighth-placed Brad Keselowski was seven points ahead of Biffle and nine ahead of Martin Truex, Jr. in ninth and tenth. In the Manufacturers' Championship, Chevrolet was leading with 156 points, twelve points ahead of Toyota. Ford was third with 111 points.
Practice and qualifying
Three practice sessions were held before the race. The first session, scheduled on August 16, 2013, was 90 minutes long. The second and third, held a day later on August 17, 2013, were each 55 minutes long.
Standings after the race
- "2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Schedule". ESPN. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- "2013 Pure Michigan 400 weather information". The Old Farmers' Almanac. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "Michigan International Speedway". CBS Sports. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- "2012 Pure Michigan 400". Racing-Reference. USA Today Sports Media Group. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- "2013 Cheez-It 355 at the Glen Report" (PDF). Jayski's NASCAR Silly Season Site. ESPN. August 11, 2013. p. 2. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- "Manufacturer's Championship Classification". Jayski's NASCAR Silly Season Site. ESPN. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- "Pure Michigan 400 Practice/Qualifying Times". Jayski's Silly Season Site. ESPN. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
2013 Cheez-It 355 at The Glen
|NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
2013 Irwin Tools Night Race