2013 Subway Fresh Fit 500
|Race 2 of 36 in the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series|
Map of the Phoenix International Raceway
|Date||March 3, 2013|
|Location||Phoenix International Raceway in Avondale, Arizona|
Permanent racing facility|
1.0 mi (1.6 km)
|Distance||316 laps, 316 mi (508.553 km)|
|Weather||Clear; temperature around 82 °F (28 °C); wind out of the SE at 9 miles per hour (14 km/h).|
|Driver||Michael Waltrip Racing|
|Most laps led|
|Driver||Carl Edwards||Roush-Fenway Racing|
|No. 99||Carl Edwards||Roush Fenway Racing|
|Television in the United States|
|Announcers||Mike Joy, Darrell Waltrip, and Larry McReynolds|
(9.117 million viewers)
The 2013 Subway Fresh Fit 500 was a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series stock car race held on March 3, 2013, at Phoenix International Raceway in Avondale, Arizona. Contested over 316 laps on the 1-mile (1.6 km) asphalt tri-oval, it was the second race of the 2013 Sprint Cup Series championship. Carl Edwards of Roush Fenway Racing won the race, his first win in 70 races. Jimmie Johnson finished second while Denny Hamlin, Brad Keselowski and Dale Earnhardt Jr. rounded out the top five.
Phoenix International Raceway is one of five short tracks to hold NASCAR races; the others are Richmond International Raceway, Dover International Speedway, Bristol Motor Speedway, and Martinsville Speedway. The standard track at Phoenix International Raceway is a four-turn short track oval that is 1 mile (1.6 km) long. The track's first two turns are banked from 10–11 degrees, while the third and fourth turns have an 8–9 degree banking. The front stretch, the location of the finish line, is banked at 3 degrees, and the back stretch has a 10–11 degree banking. The racetrack has seats for 55,000 spectators.
Before the race, Jimmie Johnson was leading the Drivers' Championship with 47 points, and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. stood in second with 42 points. Mark Martin and Brad Keselowski followed in third and fourth with 41 points each, and was one ahead of Ryan Newman in fifth. Greg Biffle with 38 was one point ahead of Danica Patrick, as Michael McDowell with 35 points was one ahead of J. J. Yeley and Clint Bowyer. In the Manufacturers' Championship, Chevrolet was leading with nine points, three points ahead of their rival Toyota. Ford was in the third position with four points. Denny Hamlin was the race's defending winner.
The race was the first of the season to remove roof cameras to lessen turbulent air impact, and will be removed for two-thirds of the points races.
Practice and qualifying
Three practice sessions were held before the race on March 1 and March 2, 2013. The first session lasted 85 minutes long, while the second was 55 minutes long. The third session lasted for 50 minutes. Matt Kenseth was quickest with a speed of 137.023 miles per hour (220.517 km/h) in the first session, 0.047 miles per hour (0.076 km/h) faster than Kyle Busch. Martin was just off Kyle Busch's pace, followed by Hamlin, Carl Edwards, and Johnson. The session was paused temporarily after debris prompted a caution.
Forty-three cars were entered for the qualifying session held on March 1. Martin clinched his fifty-sixth pole position of his career, with a time of 26.073 seconds, which was a new race record. He was joined on the front row of the grid by Kasey Kahne. Johnson qualified third, Kyle Busch took fourth, and Gordon started fifth. Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick, Hamlin, Kenseth, and Newman rounded out the first ten positions.
Denny Hamlin Fine
Standings after the race
- "Sprint Cup Series Schedule". ESPN. Retrieved December 23, 2012.
- Brown, Brian (February 27, 2013). "The Subway Fresh Fit 500". Rotoworld.com. NBC Sports. Archived from the original on March 1, 2013. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Mark Martin on pole in Phoenix". ESPN. March 1, 2013. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Tracks". NASCAR. Turner Sports. Archived from the original on February 7, 2011. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- "Phoenix International Raceway". CBS Sports. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- "Pre-race Drivers' Championship Standings". SPEED. Fox Sports. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- "2012 Subway Fresh Fit 500". Racing-reference.info. USA Today Sports Media Group. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- Bruce, Kenny (March 1, 2013). "Roof cameras removed for Phoenix race". NASCAR. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Subway Fresh Fit 500 Practice/Qualifying Times". Jayski's Silly Season Site. ESPN. Archived from the original on February 28, 2013. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "KENSETH FASTEST IN FIRST DRY RUN IN THE DESERT". NASCAR. March 1, 2013. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "ENTRY LIST SET FOR SUBWAY FRESH FIT 500". NASCAR. February 25, 2013. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Spencer, Reid (March 1, 2013). "MARTIN EDGES KAHNE FOR PHOENIX POLE". NASCAR. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Subway Fresh Fit 500 Starting Lineup" (PDF). Jayski's Silly Season Site. ESPN. March 1, 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 11, 2014. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
2013 Daytona 500
|Sprint Cup Series
2013 Kobalt Tools 400