2013 United States Grand Prix
|2013 United States Grand Prix|
|Race 18 of 19 in the 2013 Formula One World Championship|
Layout of the Circuit of the Americas
|Date||17 November 2013|
|Official name||2013 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix|
Circuit of the Americas|
Travis County, Austin, Texas
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||5.513 km (3.426 mi)|
|Distance||56 laps, 308.405 km (191.634 mi)|
Partly cloudy, warm|
Temperatures reaching up to 89.1 °F (31.7 °C); wind speeds approaching speeds of 11.1 miles per hour (17.9 km/h)
|Attendance||250,324 (Weekend) 113,162 (Race Day)|
|Driver||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault|
|Time||1:39.856 on lap 54|
The 2013 United States Grand Prix is a Formula One motor race that was held at the Circuit of the Americas on November 17, 2013. The race was the eighteenth round of the 2013 season, and marks the second running of the United States Grand Prix in Austin. The race was won by Red Bull-Renault's Sebastian Vettel, for his eighth consecutive win, a new F1 record for consecutive wins within a single season.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2019)
Kimi Räikkönen announced a week before the Grand Prix that he would be missing the final two races of 2013, in order to have back surgery. He had wanted to delay the operation until the off-season, but suffered increasing discomfort over the previous races. Räikkönen's decision meant that the previous race was his last race competing for Lotus, having agreed to join Ferrari for the 2014 season. His place was taken by Heikki Kovalainen, who signed a two-race deal with the team.
Like the previous United States Grand Prix, tyre supplier Pirelli will bring its orange-banded hard compound tyre as the harder "prime" tyre and the white-banded medium compound tyre as the softer "option" tyre.
Jenson Button was given a three-place grid penalty for the race, after overtaking under red flags during the opening practice session. Charles Pic was given a five-place penalty for the race after Caterham changed the gearbox in his car.
Esteban Gutiérrez and Max Chilton were given penalties for impeding other drivers in the first qualifying session. Gutiérrez, who blocked Pastor Maldonado was handed a ten-place grid penalty; Chilton will have to serve a drive-through penalty within the first five laps of the race after he impeded both Maldonado and Adrian Sutil.
|1||1||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1:38.516||1:37.065||1:36.338||1|
|2||2||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1:38.161||1:37.312||1:36.441||2|
|11||19||Daniel Ricciardo||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:38.882||1:38.131||10|
|12||14||Paul di Resta||Force India-Mercedes||1:38.894||1:38.139||11|
|16||18||Jean-Éric Vergne||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:38.880||1:41.696||14|
|17||15||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes||1:39.250||16|
|19||21||Giedo van der Garde||Caterham-Renault||1:40.491||18|
|107% time: 1:44.668|
- ^1 – Esteban Gutiérrez qualified 10th, but was given a ten-place grid penalty for the race after blocking Pastor Maldonado during qualifying.
- ^2 – Jenson Button qualified 13th, but was given a three-place grid penalty for the race, after overtaking under red flags during the opening practice session.
- ^3 – Charles Pic qualified 21st, but was given a five-place penalty for the race after a gearbox change.
- As of February 2019[update], this remains the last race where all three drivers on the podium drove Renault-powered cars.
- First points: Valtteri Bottas
Championship standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "2013 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix". Formula1.com. Formula One Management. Archived from the original on 13 November 2013. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- "Weather information for the "2013 United States Grand Prix"". The Old Farmers' Almanac. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- "Austin Formula 1 attendance declines again as rains come to race day". Austin Business Journal. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- McEvoy, Jonathan (November 18, 2013). "Peerless Vettel proves it really is a lone star state at US Grand Prix in Texas". Daily Mail. dmg media. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- Benson, Andrew (November 17, 2013). "Sebastian Vettel takes record eighth win in row at the US GP". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- Cary, Tom (November 17, 2013). "Sebastian Vettel completes eighth consecutive win at Austin's Circuit of The Americas". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen to have back surgery next week". Sky Sports. BSkyB. November 10, 2013. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- Noble, Jonathan (November 13, 2013). "Lotus agrees deal with Heikki Kovalainen to replace Kimi Raikkonen". Autosport. Haymarket Publications. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- Wise, Mike (November 15, 2013). "Jenson Button has been handed a three-place grid penalty for the United States GP". Sky Sports. BSkyB. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- Straw, Edd (November 16, 2013). "Caterham's Charles Pic gets gearbox penalty". Autosport. Haymarket Publications. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Gutierrez and Chilton handed penalties for impeding". Formula1.com. Formula One Management. November 16, 2013. Archived from the original on 18 November 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Vergne penalised for Gutierrez clash". Crash.net. Crash Media Group. November 17, 2013. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- "2013 United States Grand Prix Qualifying Results". Formula1.com. Formula One Management. November 16, 2013. Archived from the original on 19 November 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "2013 United States Grand Prix Race Results". Formula1.com. Formula One Management. November 17, 2013. Archived from the original on 19 November 2013. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2013 United States Grand Prix.|
2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
2013 Brazilian Grand Prix
2012 United States Grand Prix
|United States Grand Prix||Next race:|
2014 United States Grand Prix