2013 WNBA draft
|2013 WNBA draft|
|Date(s)||April 15, 2013|
|Time||8:00 pm EDT|
|Network(s) (US)||ESPN2, ESPNU|
|First selection||Brittney Griner, Baylor|
The 2013 WNBA draft is the league's annual process for determining which teams receive the rights to negotiate with players entering the league. The draft was held on April 15, 2013 at the ESPN studios in Bristol, Connecticut at 8:00 pm EDT. The first round was shown on ESPN2 (HD), with the second and third rounds shown on ESPNU.
The lottery selection to determine the order of the top four picks in the 2013 draft occurred on September 26, 2012. For the first time in league history, the lottery was televised (during SportsCenter at 6:30 pm ET).
Below were the chances for each team to get specific picks in the 2013 draft lottery, rounded to three decimal places:
|Shaded block denotes actual lottery result.|
The WNBA announced on April 11, 2013 that 12 players had been invited to attend the draft. Unless indicated otherwise, all players listed are Americans who played at U.S. colleges.
- Alex Bentley, Penn State
- Kelsey Bone, Texas A&M
- Layshia Clarendon, California
- Elena Delle Donne, Delaware
- Skylar Diggins, Notre Dame
- Kelly Faris, Connecticut
- Brittney Griner, Baylor
- Tianna Hawkins, Maryland
- Tayler Hill, Ohio State
- Lindsey Moore, Nebraska
- Ta’Shauna “Sugar” Rodgers, Georgetown
- Toni Young, Oklahoma State
- February 2, 2012: The Minnesota Lynx signed-and-traded Alexis Hornbuckle to the Phoenix Mercury in exchange for a 2013 second round draft pick.
- March 14, 2012: The Chicago Sky acquired Sonja Petrovic from the San Antonio Silver Stars in exchange for a 2013 second round draft pick.
- February 19, 2013: The Washington Mystics receive the seventh and 19th overall pick from the Atlanta Dream as part of the Jasmine Thomas trade. Atlanta receives the 13th overall pick.
- February 27, 2013: The New York Liberty receive the seventh overall pick from the Washington Mystics as part of the Kia Vaughn trade. Washington receives the 17th overall pick.
- March 1, 2013: The New York Liberty receive the 15th and 27th overall picks as part of a three-team trade. The Tulsa Shock receive the 29th overall pick.
- April 15, 2013: The New York Liberty receive the 25th overall pick from the Washington Mystics as part of the Quanitra Hollingsworth trade.
|PG||Point guard||SG||Shooting guard||SF||Small forward||PF||Power forward||C||Center|
- Nationality indicates the player's national team or representative nationality. If a player has not competed at the international level, then the nationality indicates the national team which the player is eligible to represent according to FIBA rules.
- Los Angeles's selection of Alina Iagupova was subsequently voided by the league due to her age, under Article XIII, section 1(d) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Notable undrafted players
These players were not selected in the 2013 draft but have played at least one game in the WNBA.
|Macaulay, VictoriaVictoria Macaulay||C||Australia||Temple (Sr.)|
|Ruffin-Pratt, TierraTierra Ruffin-Pratt||G||United States||North Carolina (Sr.)|
- "2013 Draft Invitees" (Press release). Women's National Basketball Association. April 11, 2013. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- Kacēns, Jānis (17 April 2013). "Alina Iagupova's WNBA draft selection has been voided". LoveWomensBasketball.com. Retrieved 19 September 2013.