2013 World Championships in Athletics – Men's 200 metres
|Men's 200 metres |
at the 2013 World Championships
|Dates||16 August (heats & semifinals)|
17 August (final)
|Competitors||55 from 41 nations|
In the final, Adam Gemili seemed to get the best start, but flanked by the Jamaican uniforms, he was quickly swallowed up. Mid way into the turn, Usain Bolt had a clear lead. Coming off the turn, Bolt had several meters on the field. The winner determined, Bolt eased off and cruised across the finish in what would be a great time for any other human being, just a slow 200 for Bolt in 19.66. Coming off the turn about even with Gemili and Nickel Ashmeade, Warren Weir out in lane 7 separated from those two and gained significantly on the slowing Bolt, setting a personal best of 19.79. Taking a lesson from American teammate Wallace Spearmon who was vanquished in the semis, Curtis Mitchell spotted the field several meters then closed from dead last at the end of the turn to take the bronze. Gemili took a full dive at the finish to try to beat Ashmeade but still finished in fifth.
Prior to the competition, the records were as follows:
|World record||Usain Bolt (JAM)||19.19||Berlin, Germany||20 August 2009|
|World Leading||Usain Bolt (JAM)||19.73||Saint-Denis, France||6 July 2013|
|African Record||Frankie Fredericks (NAM)||19.68||Atlanta, GA, United States||1 August 1996|
|Asian Record||Shingo Suetsugu (JPN)||20.03||Yokohama, Japan||7 June 2003|
|North, Central American and Caribbean record||Usain Bolt (JAM)||19.19||Berlin, Germany||20 August 2009|
|South American Record||Alonso Edward (PAN)||19.81||Berlin, Germany||20 August 2009|
|European Record||Pietro Mennea (ITA)||19.72A||Mexico City, Mexico||12 September 1979|
|Oceanian record||Peter Norman (AUS)||20.06A||Mexico City, Mexico||15 October 1968|
|A time||B time|
|16 August 2013||10:35||Heats|
|16 August 2013||19:40||Semifinals|
|17 August 2013||20:05||Final|
All times are local times (UTC+4)
|KEY:||q||Fastest non-qualifiers||Q||Qualified||NR||National record||PB||Personal best||SB||Seasonal best|
Wind: Heat 1: −0.4 m/s, Heat 2: −0.2 m/s, Heat 3: 0.0 m/s, Heat 4: −0.7 m/s, Heat 5: −0.6 m/s, Heat 6: +0.2 m/s, Heat 7: +0.2 m/s.
Wind: Heat 1: 0.0 m/s, Heat 2: 0.0 m/s, Heat 3: −0.3 m/s.
The final was started at 20:10.
|4||Usain Bolt||Jamaica (JAM)||19.66||WL|
|8||Warren Weir||Jamaica (JAM)||19.79||PB|
|3||Curtis Mitchell||United States (USA)||20.04|
|4||6||Nickel Ashmeade||Jamaica (JAM)||20.05|
|5||5||Adam Gemili||Great Britain & N.I. (GBR)||20.08|
|6||7||Anaso Jobodwana||South Africa (RSA)||20.14|
|7||1||Churandy Martina||Netherlands (NED)||20.35|
|8||2||Jaysuma Saidy Ndure||Norway (NOR)||20.37|
- By winning this 200m final, Usain Bolt became the first man ever to retain the 200m world title three times in a row (winning the title in 2009, in 19.19, and 2011, in 19.40). Calvin Smith and Michael Johnson both won the title twice (in 1983 and 1987, and in 1991 and 1995, respectively) yet only Bolt has retained the title three times (2009, 2011 and 2013).
- Start list
- "Lightning does strike twice for Bolt as brilliant Jamaican claims sprint double... and Gemili narrowly misses out on medal". Daily Mail. 17 August 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Usain Bolt wins 200m gold at World Athletics 2013". BBC Sport. 17 August 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Usain Bolt wins 200m world title with ease as Adam Gemili comes fifth". Guardian. 17 August 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Heats Results
- Semifinals Results
- Final Results
- 200 metres results at IAAF website