2013 in South Africa
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|2013 in South Africa|
|2010 2011 2012 « 2013 » 2014 2015 2016|
Events in the year 2013 in South Africa.
- 3 – South African Olympic mountain biker and former age group world champion Burry Stander is killed in a road accident while training near his home.
- President Jacob Zuma deploys 400 SANDF troops to the Central African Republic in an attempt to bring peace and stability to the region.
- President Jacob Zuma announces that South African anti-apartheid leader Nelson Mandela has recovered from his lung infection and a surgical procedure to remove gallstones.
- 9 – South Africa police fire rubber bullets and tear gas to disperse striking farm workers in the Western Cape region.
- 10 – Fitch Group downgrades South Africa's long term foreign currency Issuer Default Rating to 'BBB' from 'BBB+' and long-term local currency IDR to BBB+ from A.
- 15 – Anglo American subsidiary Anglo American Platinum announces it will mothball its two least profitable South African platinum mines, sell another and cut 14,000 jobs.
- 16 – Workers at three of Anglo American Platinum's mines go on illegal strike.
- 21 – A South African court finds Nigerian militant Henry Okah guilty of masterminding a 2010 car bombing which killed 12 people in Abuja.
- 24 – 15,000 crocodiles escape from a farm after flooding.
- 14 – Paralympian Oscar Pistorius shoots and kills model Reeva Steenkamp at his Pretoria home in the early hours of the morning.
- 21 – Ministers of Police Nathi Mthethwa, Public Works Thulas Nxesi, State Security Siyabonga Cwele and Defence Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula declare that, since it is a National Key Point, it is illegal to publish photographs of President Jacob Zuma's controversial Nkandla residence on which R206 million in public funds has been spent.
- 29 – The confidential preliminary report by Public Protector Thuli Madonsela on public expenditure on President Jacob Zuma's Nkandla residence is leaked in the press.
- 5 – President Nelson Mandela dies at about 20:50 in his house in Houghton, Johannesburg.
- 10 – At the memorial service for Nelson Mandela in the Soccer City stadium in Soweto, attended by the leaders of nearly 100 countries, President Jacob Zuma is booed repeatedly by thousands of the attendees.
- 11 – Thamsanqa Jantjie, the sign language interpreter at the memorial service for Nelson Mandela, is exposed as a fake signer who merely made incomprehensible gestures, has a criminal record and is undergoing psychiatric treatment.
- 24 – The annual televised Presidential Christmas message by the President of South Africa is delivered by Deputy President of South Africa Kgalema Motlanthe instead.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
- 3 January – Burry Stander (25), Olympic (2008, 2012) mountain biker, dies in a traffic collision.
- 6 January – Neil Adcock (81), cricketer, dies of bowel cancer.
- 2 February – Anene Booysen (17), is raped and murdered. (b. 1995)
- 14 February – Reeva Steenkamp (29) model and girlfriend of sprint runner Oscar Pistorius.
- 28 March – Johan Kemp (35), rugby union player, is shot.
- 5 July – Vice Admiral Lambert "Woody" Woodburne" DVR SD SM (73), former Chief of the South African Navy.
- 12 October – Glen Dell (51), pilot (injuries from air show accident)
- 29 November – Colin Eglin (88), politician, former Leader of the Opposition.
- 5 December – President Nelson Mandela (95) dies after a long sickbed. (b. 1918)
- 7 December – Jacob "Baby Jake" Matlala (51), flyweight world champion boxer.
- The first ten of ninety-five 3 kV DC and 25 kV AC dual voltage Class 20E electric locomotives for Transnet Freight Rail are being built in China by CSL Zhuzhou.
- "SA cyclist Burry Stander dies". Sport24. Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- Xinhua (7 January 2013). "SA troops for Central African Republic". southafrica.info. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- ""Blade Runner" Pistorius charged with murdering girlfriend". Reuters. 14 February 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- The Battle in Bangui: The untold inside story. By Helmoed Heitman.
- Dít mag jy NIE sien nie - Die Burger, Vrydag 22 November 2013.
- Woede oor Nkandla: 'Kla Zuma aan!' - OB bevind hy het land mislei en moet terugbetaal - Die Burger, Saterdag 30 November 2013.
- Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela 1918-2013 - Hy is weg - Die Burger, Vrydag 6 December 2013.
- Obama se rede ontroer - Zuma kry duime na onder - Applous vir Thabo en FW, Zuma uitgejou - Die Burger, Woensdag 11 December 2013.
- Mandela memorial interpreter convicted of theft - Mail & Guardian, 13 December 2013
- Sign language interpreter admitted to psychiatric hospital - Mail & Guardian, 19 December 2013
- Shamed sign language interpreter at Mandela memorial claims he is schizo - wavuti.com 12 December 2013
- Kgalema Motlanthe remembers Mandela on Christmas day - City Press, 25 December 2013
- Bernstein, Jenny (20 April 2011). "Fast-bowling great Neil Adcock dies – Yahoo! News South Africa". Za.news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- Alexandra Topping and agencies (14 February 2013). "Oscar Pistorius charged with murder after girlfriend shot dead". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Former Lions rugby player shot dead | City PressCity Press
- "Oud-vlootadmiraal (73) oorlede ná 'n lang siekte". Die Burger. 12 July 2013.
- "Aerobatic pilot dies after show crash". News24. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- Vlae hang Maandag halfstok vir Colin Eglin se begrafnis - Die Burger, Vrydag 6 December 2013, p. 2.
- Railways Africa, 20 Aug 2013: Class 20E Loco Debuts at CSR