2013 in rail transport
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article needs to be updated. (December 2015)|
|Years in rail transport|
This article lists events related to rail transport that occurred in 2013.
- January 18 - Brand new V250-high speed EMU's taken out of Fyra-service definitely due to poor quality.
- January 28 - New Orleans Regional Transit Authority Loyola Avenue Streetcar Line opened.
- February 11 - Manchester Metrolink light rail system East Manchester Line opened to Droylsden.
- February 24 – The platforms at Togoshi-kōen Station, on the Tokyu Oimachi Line in Shinagawa, Tokyo, Japan, are extended from three car lengths to five.
- March 16 - Shibuya Station of Tokyu Toyoko Line move on underground station from ground station, with direct commuter express train start on Motomachi-Chūkagai of Yokohama to Hanno of Seibu Ikebukuro Line, Kawagoeshi of Tobu Tojo Line, via Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line.
- April 14 - Utah Transit Authority's TRAX light rail Green Line extends service west from downtown Salt Lake City to the Salt Lake City International Airport.
- April 26 - RTD's W-Line light rail corridor extends service west from Denver Union Station to Golden. This is the first FasTracks corridor to be completed.
- May 10 – Norfolk Southern Railway announces the appointment of James A. Squires to become the railroad's new president effective 1 June.
- May 26 - National Express Group's LTS Rail franchise, c2c expires; extended through 2014.
- May 27 - CapeFLYER summer weekend service from Boston, Massachusetts to Cape Cod begun.
- July 1 – Opening of Hangzhou–Ningbo High-Speed Railway and Nanjing–Hangzhou Passenger Railway.
- July 6 – 47 people are killed in explosions and fire after an unattended train carrying Bakken formation crude oil runs away and derails in Lac-Mégantic, Quebec. It becomes the deadliest rail accident in Canadian history since 1864.
- August 18 - Utah Transit Authority's TRAX light rail Blue Line extends service further south from Sandy to Draper.
- October 15 - The Kyushu Railway Company (Japan Railways Group) launches the 'Seven Stars in Kyushu' luxury sleeping car excursion train from Hakata Station with dedicated diesel locomotive haulage.
- October 29 - Completion of Marmaray suburban rail project in Istanbul with official opening of its tunnel under the Bosphorus, the first standard gauge rail connection between Europe and Asia.
- December 8 - Utah Transit Authority's S Line (formerly known as Sugar House Streetcar) opens with service from South Salt Lake to the Sugar House neighborhood of Salt Lake City.
- – Phase 1 of the Dulles Corridor Metro Project, also known as the Silver Line, is expected to open as far as Reston, Virginia, connecting Fairfax County suburbs to the Washington Metro system.
- December 22 – Downtown MRT Line Phase 1 scheduled to open.
- December 28 – Opening of high speed Xiamen–Shenzhen Railway in southern China, fully completing the Hangzhou–Fuzhou–Shenzhen High-Speed Railway.
- December 28 - Wuhan Metro Line 4 and Suzhou Metro Line 2, including Zhengzhou Metro has been opened.
- December 29 - Shanghai Metro Lines 12 and 16 opened.
Unknown date events
- – A new line for passenger trains only connecting Harbin, Dalian, Changchun and Shenyang, is scheduled to open.
- – The first segment of a new high-speed rail line in Morocco between Tangier and Kenitra, a line that will eventually extend to Marrakech, is scheduled to open.
- – Completion of suburban rail network electrification in Auckland, New Zealand, sponsored by the regional council.
- – Completion of the first phase of Rail Baltica connecting Tallinn, Riga, Kaunas and Warsaw.
- 28 May – Isabel Benham, American railroad financial expert, dies (b. 1909).
- 23 August – Richard J. Corman, founder and owner of R.J. Corman Railroad Group, dies (b. 1955).
- Awards presented by the Japan Railfan Club
- "Capital Projects". New Orleans Regional Transit Authority. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- Kirby, Dean (4 December 2012). "Opening of Metrolink tram service to Droylsden delayed until February 2013". Manchester Evening News. Chadderton, England. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- 東急大井町線戸越公園駅でのドアカット解消 [Selective door-opening eliminated at Togoshi-kōen Station on Tokyu Oimachi Line]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Airport TRAX Line to Open April 14". Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- "RTD celebrates the successful grand opening of the West Rail Line" (PDF). Denver: RTD. 9 April 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- Norfolk Southern Corporation (10 May 2013). "Norfolk Southern Names Six to Senior Management Positions" (Press release). Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Cassidy, Patrick (13 December 2012). "Weekend passenger rail service to run seasonally between Cape and Boston". The Standard-Times. New Bedford, Massachusetts. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "New high-speed railways open to promote intercity development". Xinhua. 1 July 2013. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Van Eyck, Zack (14 March 1999). "Bus routes will change when TRAX arrives". Deseret News. Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "西安地铁一号线15日正式通车试运营". 14 September 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- Vo-Duc, Viviane (5 September 2013). "New streetcar S-line set to open Dec. 8 in Sugar House". Deseret News. Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Lazo, Luz (16 September 2012). "In Fairfax, bus service adjustments planned ahead of Silver Line opening". The Washington Post. Washington, D.C. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- "Xiamen-Shenzhen HSR expected to open to traffic by end of 2013". What's On Xiamen. 30 May 2012. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Work begins on Harbin-Dalian railway line". China Daily. 24 August 2007. Retrieved 24 August 2007.
- "France and Morocco in train deal". BBC News. 23 October 2007. Retrieved 23 October 2007.
- 'Transit' (2008). "Boost for NZ commuters". Electric Railway. 53: 9.
- "Latvia to Begin Constructing Rail Baltica". RZD-Partner Portal. 18 April 2008.