2014–15 PBA season
|2014–15 PBA season|
2014–15 PBA season
|Duration||October 19, 2014 – July 17, 2015|
|Number of teams||12|
|TV partner(s)||Local: |
|Top draft pick||Stanley Pringle|
|Picked by||GlobalPort Batang Pier|
|Philippine Cup champions||San Miguel Beermen|
|Commissioner's Cup champions||Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters|
|Runners-up||Rain or Shine Elasto Painters|
|Governors' Cup champions||San Miguel Beermen|
|Season MVP||June Mar Fajardo |
(San Miguel Beermen)
|Top scorer||June Mar Fajardo |
(San Miguel Beermen)
The 2014–15 PBA season was the 40th season of the Philippine Basketball Association. The season formally opened on October 19, 2014 and finished on July 17, 2015. The league continued to use the three-conference format, starting with the Philippine Cup. The Commissioner's Cup and the Governors' Cup were the second and third conferences for this season, respectively.
This was also the first season that the league had 12 regular teams. The two new teams were Kia Sorento and Blackwater Elite. Although the NLEX Road Warriors had been approved as an expansion team, their owners instead opted to buy the Air21 Express franchise.
This season previously held the record for most games played overall in a season, having 257 games played throughout the whole year. It surpassed the previous record of 249 games, previously set during the 2012–13 season. This record was later broken the following season.
- 1 Board of governors
- 2 Transactions
- 3 Notable events
- 4 Liga ng Bayan
- 5 Opening ceremonies
- 6 2014–15 Philippine Cup
- 7 2015 Commissioner's Cup
- 8 2015 Governors' Cup
- 9 Individual awards
- 10 Cumulative standings
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Board of governors
- Angelico Salud (Commissioner)
- Patrick Gregorio (Chairman, representing Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters)
- Robert Non (Vice-Chairman, representing San Miguel Beermen)
- Eric Arejola (Treasurer, representing GlobalPort Batang Pier)
|Alaska Aces||Alaska Milk Corporation||Richard Bachmann|
|Barako Bull Energy||Energy Food and Drinks Inc.||Manny Alvarez|
|Barangay Ginebra San Miguel||Ginebra San Miguel, Inc.||Alfrancis Chua|
|Blackwater Elite||Ever Bilena Cosmetics, Inc.||Silliman Sy||Wilbert Loa|
|GlobalPort Batang Pier||Sultan 900 Capital, Inc.||Michael Romero||Nathaniel Romero / Erick Arejola|
|Kia Carnival||Columbian Autocar Corporation||Jose Alvarez||Ginia Domingo|
|Meralco Bolts||Manila Electric Company||Al Panlilio||Ryan Gregorio / Betty Siy-Yap|
|NLEX Road Warriors||Metro Pacific Investments Corporation||Ramoncito Fernandez||Rodrigo Franco / Christopher Lizo|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||Asian Coatings Philippines, Inc.||Mamerto Mondragon||Edison Orbania|
|San Miguel Beermen||San Miguel Brewery, Inc.||Robert Huang||Robert Non|
|Star Hotshots||San Miguel Pure Foods Company, Inc.||Rene Pardo|
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||Smart Communications||Manuel V. Pangilinan||Victorico Vargas|
- The expansion draft for incoming teams Blackwater Elite and Kia Sorento was held on July 18, 2014. Danny Ildefonso of the Meralco Bolts and Reil Cervantes of Barako Bull Energy were selected as the first picks of Blackwater and Kia respectively.
- January 9, 2015: Jimmy Alapag formally announced his retirement during a press conference at the Smart Araneta Coliseum prior to the second game of the 2014–15 PBA Philippine Cup Finals between the Alaska Aces and the San Miguel Beermen. However, he came out of retirement after nine months and played for two more seasons with the Meralco Bolts. He later retired for the second time during the end of the 2015–16 season.
- May 18, 2015: Kerby Raymundo officially announced his retirement.
- July 9, 2014: Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters head coach Norman Black was moved to the Meralco Bolts, replacing Ryan Gregorio as head coach. Replacing Black in Talk 'N Text is assistant coach Jong Uichico.
- August 2, 2014: Leo Austria was named as the head coach of the San Miguel Beermen. Coach Biboy Ravanes was demoted to assistant coach and active consultant Todd Purves will have a minimal role with the team.
- October 18, 2014: Barako Bull Energy fired head coach Siot Tanquingcen. He was replaced by assistant coach Koy Banal
- November 27, 2014: GlobalPort Batang Pier appointed assistant coach Eric Gonzales as the team's interim head coach, while former head coach Pido Jarencio was reassigned as the team's consultant.
- January 5, 2015: Team manager Alfrancis Chua announced the reappointment of Ato Agustin as Ginebra head coach  after two conferences with Jeffrey Cariaso. Cariaso was then hired by Alaska as an assistant coach.
- March 30, 2015: Barangay Ginebra San Miguel fired head coach Ato Agustin. He was replaced by assistant coach Frankie Lim.
- March 31, 2015: GlobalPort Batang Pier reinstated consultant Pido Jarencio as the team's head coach. Interim head coach Eric Gonzales was relegated as the assistant coach.
- The PBA's developmental league held its annual draft at the PBA office in Libis, Quezon City on September 15. Moala Tautuaa was selected by the Cagayan Valley Rising Suns as the first pick of the draft.
- Team officials of the San Mig Super Coffee Mixers announced that the team will be renamed as the Purefoods Star Hotshots starting this season's Philippine Cup.
- The league's opening ceremonies and the first two games of the elimination round at the Philippine Arena set the all-time indoor Philippine sports attendance record of 52,612.
- The Grand Slam championship ring ceremony of the Purefoods Star Hotshots (formerly known as the San Mig Super Coffee Mixers) was held on October 22, before the start of their game against the Alaska Aces.
- The Purefoods Star Hotshots retired the jersey numbers of Rey Evangelista (#7) and Jerry Codiñera (#44) on November 9, 2014, before their game against Barangay Ginebra San Miguel on November 9. The team also wore retro style jerseys with similarities from their 1988 uniforms.
- The Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters retired the jersey number of Jimmy Alapag during the halftime of the All-Star Game in Puerto Princesa Coliseum, Palawan on March 5, 2015, where he was added as the 13th man of the South All-Stars.
- Columbian Autocar Corporation (CAC) announced that they will change the moniker of their PBA team to Kia Carnival for the Commissioner's Cup.
- On February 15, 2015, Commissioner Chito Salud announced during a press conference at the Mall of Asia Arena that he will resign as the commissioner of the league at the end of the 2014-15 season due to personal reasons. The board of governors, led by chairman Patrick Gregorio told the media that a replacement will be named before the end of the ongoing Commissioner's Cup. The replacement will be assigned as the deputy commissioner at the start of the Governors' Cup.
- During the board of governors meeting on March 7, 2015, they have decided to restructure the league and create the president/chief executive officer position to manage the league's marketing, expansion and business related matters. The commissioner position (which will also be the league's chief operating officer) will handle the game-related matters. Outgoing commissioner Chito Salud has been named as the league's first president/CEO.
- The Purefoods Star Hotshots silently dropped the "Purefoods" brand on their team name. The team will now be known as the "Star Hotshots". The team's new colors and uniforms debuted in their game against the NLEX Road Warriors last May 10.
- On May 14, Basketball Coaches Association of the Philippines (BCAP) president and former PBA coach Chito Narvasa was named as the 9th commissioner of the league, replacing Chito Salud at the end of the 2014-15 season.
Liga ng Bayan
A set of preseason games named "Liga ng Bayan" was scheduled from September 12 to October 12 and were held on various cities around the country. The results of the games are as follows:
|San Miguel Beermen 78, Rain or Shine Elasto Painters 77|
|Barangay Ginebra San Miguel 79, Meralco Bolts 91|
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters 78, GlobalPort Batang Pier 88|
The opening ceremonies for this season was held at the Philippine Arena in Ciudad de Victoria, Bocaue, Bulacan on October 19, 2014. The first games of the Philippine Cup, Kia vs Blackwater and Barangay Ginebra vs Talk 'N Text immediately followed. The muses for the participating teams are as follows:
2014–15 Philippine Cup
– clinched outright semifinals, – clinched quarterfinals with twice-to-beat advantage – clinched quarterfinals with twice-to-win disadvantage, – eliminated
2014–15 PBA Philippine Cup
|1||y– San Miguel Beermen||9||2||.818||—||1.101|
|2||y– Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||9||2||.818||—||0.908|
|3||x– Alaska Aces||8||3||.727||1||1.020|
|4||x– Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||8||3||.727||1||0.980|
|5||x– Barangay Ginebra San Miguel||6||5||.545||3||1.074|
|6||x– Meralco Bolts||6||5||.545||3||1.056|
|7||w– Purefoods Star Hotshots||6||5||.545||3||0.877|
|8||w– GlobalPort Batang Pier||5||6||.455||4|
|9||w– Barako Bull Energy||4||7||.364||5||1.057|
|10||w– NLEX Road Warriors||4||7||.364||5||0.946|
|11||e– Kia Sorento||1||10||.091||8|
|12||e– Blackwater Elite||0||11||.000||9|
|Quarterfinals (1st phase)||Quarterfinals (2nd phase)
|(#3 twice to beat)|
|(#6 twice to beat)||6||Meralco||69||2||Rain or Shine||2|
|(#4 twice to beat)||1||San Miguel||4|
|4||Talk 'N Text||105|
|9||Barako Bull||76||1||San Miguel||4|
|4||Talk 'N Text||83||4||Talk 'N Text||0|
|(#5 twice to beat)||5||Barangay Ginebra||67|
- Philippine Cup Finals: (1) San Miguel def. (3) Alaska, 4 games to 3
- Best Player of the Conference: June Mar Fajardo (San Miguel Beermen)
2015 Commissioner's Cup
– clinched twice to beat in the quarterfinals, – clinched best-of-3 quarterfinals, – clinched twice to win in the quarterfinals, – eliminated
2015 PBA Commissioner's Cup
|1||y–Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||8||3||.727||—||1.025|
|2||y–Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||8||3||.727||—||1.010|
|3||x–Purefoods Star Hotshots||8||3||.727||—||0.969|
|4||x–NLEX Road Warriors||6||5||.545||2||1.171|
|7||w–Barako Bull Energy||5||6||.455||3||1.019|
|8||w–Barangay Ginebra San Miguel||5||6||.455||3||0.960|
|9||e–San Miguel Beermen||4||7||.364||4||1.011|
|10||e–GlobalPort Batang Pier||4||7||.364||4||0.995|
|1||Rain or Shine||92|
|1||Rain or Shine||3|
|1||Rain or Shine||3|
|(#2 twice-to-beat)||2||Talk 'N Text||4|
|2||Talk 'N Text||127|
|2||Talk 'N Text||3|
- Commissioner's Cup Finals: (2) Talk 'N Text def. (1) Rain or Shine, 4 games to 3
- Best Player of the Conference: Jayson Castro (Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters)
- Bobby Parks Best Import of the Conference: Wayne Chism (Rain or Shine Elasto Painters)
2015 Governors' Cup
– clinched twice to beat in the quarterfinals, – clinched twice to win in the quarterfinals, – eliminated
|1||y- Alaska Aces||8||3||.727||—||1.065|
|2||y- San Miguel Beermen||8||3||.727||—||0.939|
|3||y- Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||7||4||.636||1||1.063|
|4||y- GlobalPort Batang Pier||7||4||.636||1||0.941|
|5||w- Star Hotshots||6||5||.545||2||1.315|
|6||w- Barako Bull Energy||6||5||.545||2||0.761|
|7||w- Meralco Bolts||5||6||.455||3||1.125|
|8||w- Barangay Ginebra San Miguel||5||6||.455||3||1.000|
|9||e- Kia Carnival||5||6||.455||3||0.954|
|10||e- Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||5||6||.455||3||0.929|
|11||e- NLEX Road Warriors||3||8||.273||5|
|12||e- Blackwater Elite||1||10||.091||7|
|(#1 twice to beat)|
|(#4 twice to beat)||5||Star||0|
|(#2 twice to beat)||2||San Miguel||4|
|(#3 twice to beat)||3||Rain or Shine||1|
|3||Rain or Shine||134**|
a The number of asterisks denotes the number of overtime(s) occurred.
- Governors' Cup Finals: (2) San Miguel def. (1) Alaska, 4 games to 0
- Best Player of the Conference: June Mar Fajardo (San Miguel Beermen)
- Bobby Parks Best Import of the Conference: Romeo Travis (Alaska Aces)
- Most Valuable Player: June Mar Fajardo (San Miguel)
- Rookie of the Year: Stanley Pringle (GlobalPort)
- First Mythical Team:
- Second Mythical Team:
- All-Defensive Team:
- Most Improved Player: Terrence Romeo (GlobalPort)
- Sportsmanship Award: June Mar Fajardo (San Miguel)
Awards given by the PBA Press Corps
- Scoring Champion: Terrence Romeo (GlobalPort)
- Baby Dalupan Coach of the Year: Leo Austria (San Miguel)
- Mr. Quality Minutes: Calvin Abueva (Alaska)
- Bogs Adornado Comeback Player of the Year: Alex Cabagnot (San Miguel)
- Danny Floro Executive of the Year: Patrick Gregorio (Talk 'N Text)
- Defensive Player of the Year: June Mar Fajardo (San Miguel)
- Order of Merit: Paul Lee (Rain or Shine)
- All-Rookie Team
|San Miguel Beermen||54||37||17||.685||Champions|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||55||35||20||.636||Runners-up|
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||59||35||24||.593||Champions|
|Purefoods / Star Hotshots||47||27||20||.574||Semifinalist|
|Barangay Ginebra San Miguel||38||17||21||.447||Quarterfinalist|
|GlobalPort Batang Pier||38||16||22||.421||Quarterfinalist|
|Barako Bull Energy||37||15||22||.405||Quarterfinalist|
|NLEX Road Warriors||36||13||23||.361||Quarterfinalist|
|Kia Sorento / Carnival||33||10||23||.303||Elimination round|
|Blackwater Elite||33||4||29||.121||Elimination round|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||33||24||9||.727|
|San Miguel Beermen||33||21||12||.636|
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||33||21||12||.636|
|Purefoods / Star Hotshots||33||20||13||.606|
|Barangay Ginebra San Miguel||33||16||17||.485|
|GlobalPort Batang Pier||33||16||17||.485|
|Barako Bull Energy||33||15||18||.455|
|NLEX Road Warriors||33||13||20||.394|
|Kia Sorento / Carnival||33||10||23||.303|
|San Miguel Beermen||21||16||5||.762|
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||25||14||11||.560|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||25||15||15||.500|
|Purefoods / Star Hotshots||14||7||7||.500|
|Barangay Ginebra San Miguel||5||1||4||.200|
|NLEX Road Warriors||3||0||3||.000|
|Barako Bull Energy||4||0||4||.000|
|GlobalPort Batang Pier||5||0||5||.000|
- Joble, Rey (April 10, 2014). "PBA approves entry of new teams NLEX, Kia, Blackwater for next season". InterAksyon. Archived from the original on 2014-10-06. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- Dy, Richard (April 10, 2014). "Historic day as PBA welcomes three new teams to take league membership to an all-time high 13 ballclubs". Spin.ph. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- Bracher, Jane (April 10, 2014). "KIA, NLEX, Blackwater approved as new PBA teams". Rappler. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- Pamintuan, Carlo (April 10, 2014). "PBA to add NLEX, Blackwater Sports, and Team KIA next season". Yahoo PH Sports. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- NLEX opts to buy existing club instead of entering as expansion team, GMA News Online, June 16, 2014
- PBA approval of Air21's sale to NLEX clears way for Joseph Yeo trade to Ginebra for draft pick, Snow Badua, spin.ph, June 26, 2014
- FLASH: Blackwater makes Danny Ildefonso the first pick of PBA dispersal draft, Snow Badua, spin.ph, July 18, 2014
- "Jimmy Alapag retires". Rappler. January 9, 2015.
- Badua, Snow (January 9, 2015). "Jimmy Alapag retires, takes on new role as Talk 'N Text manager, Gilas assistant coach". spin.ph.
- Lozada, Bong (January 9, 2015). "'For me it's time', Alapag says as he retires". INQUIRER.net.
- KERBY RETIRES: Raymundo given clean bill of health, but admits passion no longer there SPIN.ph, May 18, 2015
- Norman Black moves to Meralco, Jong Uichico to take over Talk ‘N Text as MVP group shuffles coaches Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine., Interaksyon.com, July 9, 2014
- Leo Austria named new San Miguel Beermen head coach, Naveen Ganglani, Rappler, August 2, 2014
- Koy Banal is new Barako Bull coach after PBA team parts ways with Siot Tanquingcen, Snow Badua, spin.ph, October 18, 2014
- Eric Gonzales appointed interim coach of GlobalPort; Pido Jarencio remains as consultant, Rey Joble, InterAksyon.com, November 27, 2014
- "Agustin back as Ginebra coach", January 5, 2015, Inquirer
- "Future uncertain for former Ginebra coaches Cariaso, Racela with team making changes for Commissioner’s Cup", January 5, 2015, Sports5
- SMC big boss Ramon Ang confirms Frankie Lim replacing Ato Agustin as Ginebra coach, Snow Badua, spin.ph, March 30, 2015
- Pido Jarencio reappointed as GlobalPort head coach; Eric Gonzales back as deputy Archived 2015-04-01 at the Wayback Machine., Rey Joble, InterAksyon.com, March 31, 2015
- Fil-Tongan prospect Moala Tautuaa made No. 1 pick overall in PBA D-League draft, Reuben Terrado, spin.ph, September 15, 2014
- After winning Grand Slam, San Mig Coffee back to being Purefoods, Jessica Bartolome, GMA News Online, October 15, 2014
- "PHOTO: 52k-strong fans watch PBA opener at Philippine Arena". Interaksyon.com. Archived from the original on 2014-10-21. Retrieved 2014-10-19.
- Mixers to retire Codiñera jersey, Nelson Beltran, The Philippine Star, October 11, 2014
- Purefoods retires jerseys of Jerry Codiñera, Rey Evangelista Archived 2014-11-09 at the Wayback Machine., Rey Joble, InterAksyon.com, November 9, 2014
- Fitting curtain call as Salud names Jimmy Alapag '13th man' of South team in PBA All-Stars, Snow Badua, spin.ph, January 30, 2015
- KIA changing moniker of PBA ballclub from Sorento to Carnival - seriously, by: Snow Badua, spin.ph, January 23, 2015
- "PBA commissioner Chito Salud announces plan to step down at end of season". interaksyon.com. February 13, 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-02-15. Retrieved February 15, 2015.
- Gerry Ramos (February 13, 2015). "PBA board to name successor to Commissioner Salud before end of conference, assures Gregorio". spin.ph. Retrieved February 15, 2015.
- Outgoing commissioner Chito Salud named president and CEO in PBA reorganization, Richard Dy, spin.ph, March 7, 2015
- Former coach Chito Narvasa named new PBA commissioner via 12-0 vote by board, Richard Dy, spin.ph, May 14, 2015
- 'Liga ng Bayan' preseason games to give fans first glimpse of PBA newcomers Kia, Blackwater, Richard Dy, spin.ph, August 6, 2014
- Salud says it's 'all systems go' for staging of PBA opening games at Philippine Arena, Snow Badua, spin.ph, September 18, 2014
- Maegan Young, Alice Dixson, Ellen Adarna, Rachelle Ann Daquis, Ritz Azul lead PBA muses, Snow Badua, spin.ph, October 16, 2014