2014 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000
|2014 Supercheap Auto
|Round 11 of 14 in the 2014 International V8 Supercars Championship|
|Date||9–12 October 2014|
|Location||Bathurst, New South Wales|
|Venue||Mount Panorama Circuit|
The 2014 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 was an Australian touring car motor race for V8 Supercars, the thirtieth race of the 2014 International V8 Supercars Championship. It was held on Sunday, 12 October 2014 at the Mount Panorama Circuit on the outskirts of Bathurst, New South Wales, in Australia.
The race was won by Ford Performance Racing drivers Chaz Mostert and Paul Morris, ahead of Nissan Motorsport's James Moffat and Taz Douglas, and the James Rosenberg Racing pair Nick Percat and Oliver Gavin. 2014 marked the longest running in the race's history, just shy of eight hours, and the first time the race has been won by a combination that started last.
The 2014 race was the eighteenth running of the Australian 1000 race, which was first held after the organisational split between the Australian Racing Drivers Club and V8 Supercars Australia that saw two "Bathurst 1000" races contested in both 1997 and 1998. The 2014 race was also the 58th race for which the lineage can be traced back to the 1960 Armstrong 500 – held at Phillip Island – and the 55th to be held at Mount Panorama.
Volvo made its first appearance in a major endurance race at Bathurst since the factory supported Volvo Dealer Racing finished second and third in the 1999 Bob Jane T-Marts 500 with a pair of Volvo S40s. Garry Rogers Motorsport ran Volvo S60s under the banner of Volvo Polestar Racing.
In addition to the twenty five regular championship entries, two wildcard entries were accepted for the 2014 race. Of the two, the Dragon Motor Racing entry subsequently withdrew, leaving only the Ford FG Falcon entered by Super Black Racing. The team featured much New Zealand symbology, similar to Team Kiwi Racing, although the only connection was some team personnel, notably drivers Andre Heimgartner and Ant Pedersen who had both previously driven with Team Kiwi Racing.
Mark Winterbottom and Steven Richards were the defending race winners, but were not racing together in 2014 as Winterbottom was paired with Steve Owen at Ford Performance Racing, whilst Richards teamed up with Craig Lowndes at Triple Eight Race Engineering.
† Denotes 'wildcard' entries.
The first free practice session took place on the Thursday morning prior to the race with a duration of fifty minutes. The session was open to both championship drivers and co-drivers, with Chaz Mostert setting the fastest time ahead of James Moffat and Garth Tander. David Wall suffered a tyre failure on Conrod Straight, causing him to make contact with the wall and damaging the front and rear of the car. Cameron Waters hit the wall at the Cutting, damaging the rear of his car. Both cars would miss the second free practice session, which was only for co-drivers. Four-time Bathurst winner Greg Murphy topped the session in his Holden Racing Team Commodore over the defending Bathurst winner Steven Richards and Brad Jones Racing's Luke Youlden. The third practice session took place mid-afternoon and was littered with red flags, first for Robert Dahlgren and then Tander, who both had accidents at the Dipper. The session was restarted five minutes from the end and the top three cars all broke the practice lap record (2:06.8012, set by Craig Lowndes in 2010) in that time: David Reynolds set a 2:06.3714, Mark Winterbottom a 2:06.4813 and Fabian Coulthard a 2:06.5463.
Ford Performance Racing topped both free practice sessions on Friday, with Steve Owen going fastest in the co-driver only session ahead of Youlden and Alexandre Prémat. After repairing Wall's car on Thursday, Dick Johnson Racing had more work to do after Ashley Walsh crashed the team's other car in an incident similar to that of Waters the day before. In the fifth free practice session, Winterbottom became the first driver to set a lap time under 2:06 with a time of 2:05.9011, ahead of Scott McLaughlin and Jamie Whincup, who both set a time of 2:06.1.
|Practice 1||11:05||6||Chaz Mostert||Ford Performance Racing||Ford FG Falcon||2:08.0736||Dry, sunny|
|Practice 2||13:15||22||Greg Murphy||Holden Racing Team||Holden VF Commodore||2:08.5365||Dry, sunny|
|Practice 3||15:10||55||David Reynolds||Rod Nash Racing||Ford FG Falcon||2:06.3714||Dry, sunny|
|Practice 4||09:30||5||Steve Owen||Ford Performance Racing||Ford FG Falcon||2:06.7774||Dry, sunny|
|Practice 5||13:10||5||Mark Winterbottom||Ford Performance Racing||Ford FG Falcon||2:05.9011||Dry, sunny|
|Practice 6||10:20||5||Mark Winterbottom||Ford Performance Racing||Ford FG Falcon||2:06.0635||Dry, sunny|
- ^1 – The car of Garth Tander and Warren Luff was heavily damaged in a crash in the sixth free practice session, held on Saturday morning, which led to the car being withdrawn from the top ten shootout and the race. As a result, all cars which did not qualify for the top ten shootout were moved up one position on the starting grid.
- ^2 – David Reynolds and Jamie Whincup both crashed and caused a red flag during the qualifying session, which led to their fastest lap times being invalidated.
- ^3 – Chaz Mostert originally qualified fourteenth but was excluded from the session for passing under red flags.
Top 10 Shootout
Only nine cars took part in the top ten shootout after Garth Tander's car was heavily damaged in a crash in practice on Saturday morning. Eleventh-fastest qualifier James Courtney was originally promoted to take part of in the top ten shootout, but was later prevented from running after a protest from Triple Eight Race Engineering.
|1||97||Shane van Gisbergen||Tekno Autosports||8th||2:05.7011||2nd||2:06.3267||1st|
|2||5||Mark Winterbottom||Ford Performance Racing||6th||2:06.2556||4th||2:06.6389||2nd|
|3||33||Scott McLaughlin||Garry Rogers Motorsport||5th||2:06.3358||5th||2:06.7782||3rd|
|4||8||Jason Bright||Brad Jones Racing||4th||2:06.4769||6th||2:07.0431||4th|
|5||14||Fabian Coulthard||Brad Jones Racing||9th||2:05.6080||1st||2:07.0568||5th|
|6||888||Craig Lowndes||Triple Eight Race Engineering||1st||2:06.7069||10th||2:07.7304||6th|
|7||360||James Moffat||Nissan Motorsport||2nd||2:06.6088||8th||2:07.7453||7th|
|8||21||Dale Wood||Britek Motorsport||7th||2:06.2391||3rd||2:07.9923||8th|
|9||18||Jack Perkins||Charlie Schwerkolt Racing||3rd||2:06.5347||7th||2:08.2498||9th|
The following table represents the final starting grid for the race on Sunday:
- "Official Release: 2014 V8 Supercars Calendar and Race Formats". Australian Racing Drivers Club. 23 September 2013. Archived from the original on 19 October 2014. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Hopes fade for Dragon V8 Supercars Wildcards". Speedcafe. 20 August 2014.
- "Mostert fastest as DJR crashes in first practice". Speedcafe. 9 October 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Murphy on top as pace quickens in Practice 2". Speedcafe. 9 October 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Reynolds leads record breaking Thursday practice". Speedcafe. 9 October 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "More repairs for DJR as FPR continues form". Speedcafe. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Winterbottom into the 2:05s ahead of qualifying". Speedcafe. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 V8 Supercars Championship Results – Qualifying". V8Supercars.com.au. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "HRT withdraws Tander/Luff Commodore". Speedcafe. 11 October 2014. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Mostert to start from rear of grid". V8Supercars.com.au. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Courtney will not run in shootout". V8Supercars.com.au. 11 October 2014. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 V8 Supercars Championship Results – Top 10 Shootout". V8Supercars.com.au. 11 October 2014. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "GRID: 2014 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000". Speedcafe.com. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- "Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 V8 Supercars Championship Results – Race 30". V8Supercars.com.au. 12 October 2014. Archived from the original on 21 September 2014. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
2014 Wilson Security Sandown 500
|2014 Supercars Championship||Next race:|
2014 Castrol Edge Gold Coast 600
2013 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000
|Bathurst 1000||Next year:|
2015 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000