2014 Boston Red Sox season
|2014 Boston Red Sox|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||John W. Henry (Fenway Sports Group)|
|General manager(s)||Ben Cherington|
(Don Orsillo, Jerry Remy, Dennis Eckersley, Jon Rish)
Boston Red Sox Radio Network
(Joe Castiglione, Dave O'Brien, Sean Grande, Lou Merloni)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 2014 Boston Red Sox season was the 114th season in the team's history. The Red Sox entered the 2014 season as the defending champions, having won the 2013 World Series, but quickly returned to their mediocre ways of 2012, finishing last in the American League East. They were the first defending champions to finish last in their division the next season since the Florida Marlins in 1998. They also became the first MLB team to finish last in one season, win the World Series the next, and finish last again the following season.
The Red Sox played their last year's World Series opponent St. Louis Cardinals in interleague play in early August at Busch Stadium. Other interleague match-ups included 2013 postseason participants Atlanta, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.
The Red Sox finished 2014 with a record of 71–91, only two wins better than their disastrous 2012 campaign under Bobby Valentine, in which they finished 69–93. Their combined 2012–14 regular season record is 237–249, a .488 winning percentage, in spite of their 2013 world championship season.
- On November 1, 2013 the Red Sox picked up their $13 million club option on their ace pitcher Jon Lester for 2014.
- On November 11, 2013 Boston announced that Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Drew and Mike Napoli have all declined the qualifying offer from the club and hit the free agent market.
- On December 3, 2013 the Red Sox signed catcher A. J. Pierzynski to a one-year, $8.25 million contract.
- On December 3, 2013, just hours after Boston's signing of Pierzynski, catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia signed a 3-year, $21 million deal with the Miami Marlins.
- On December 3, 2013, a third and final offseason move culminated the day with an announcement with major implications for the league and free agency market. Outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury signed a 7-year, $153 million deal with the New York Yankees.
- On December 12, 2013, the Red Sox resigned Mike Napoli to a two-year contract.
- On December 18, 2013, the Red Sox signed Japanese pitcher Shunsuke Watanabe to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
- On December 18, 2013, the Red Sox traded pitcher Franklin Morales to the Colorado Rockies for infielder Jonathan Herrera.
- On January 22, 2014, the Red Sox signed outfielder Grady Sizemore to a one-year deal, initially only worth $750,000 but with a possible $6 million in incentives. Sizemore had been out of baseball since 2011 due to injuries.
- On February 16, 2014, one day after Pitchers and Catchers reported, Ryan Dempster announced he will not pitch in 2014.
- On February 20, 2014 the Red Sox signed Chris Capuano to a one-year worth $2,250,000 contract with incentives to make the contract worth up to $5,000,000
- On March 23, 2014, the Red Sox and David Ortiz agreed on a 1-year contract extension through the 2015 season worth $16 million with a club/vesting option for 2016 and a club option for 2017.
During the season
- On April 7, the Red Sox signed infielder Ryan Roberts. He is designated for assignment 11 days later, but stays with the organization.
- On May 21, the Red Sox sign Stephen Drew.
- On June 18, the Red Sox release Sizemore.
- On July 1, the Red Sox release Capuano.
- On July 9, the Red Sox release Pierzynski.
- On July 26, the Red Sox traded Jake Peavy to the San Francisco Giants for LHP Edwin Escobar and RHP Heath Hembree.
- On July 30, the Red Sox traded Félix Doubront to the Chicago Cubs for a player to be named later (Marco Hernández).
- On July 31, the Red Sox traded Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes and cash considerations to the Oakland Athletics for OF Yoenis Céspedes and a competitive balance draft pick. The Red Sox traded John Lackey to the St. Louis Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly. The Red Sox traded Andrew Miller to the Baltimore Orioles for Eduardo Rodríguez. The Red Sox traded Stephen Drew to the New York Yankees for Kelly Johnson.
- On August 1, the Red Sox release Mike Carp.
- On August 22, 2014 the Red Sox sign Rusney Castillo to a 7-year, $72.5 million deal.
|New York Yankees||84||78||0.519||12||43–38||41–40|
|Toronto Blue Jays||83||79||0.512||13||46–35||37–44|
|Tampa Bay Rays||77||85||0.475||19||36–45||41–40|
|Boston Red Sox||71||91||0.438||25||34–47||37–44|
|(1) Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim||98||64||0.605|
|(2) Baltimore Orioles||96||66||0.593|
|(3) Detroit Tigers||90||72||0.556|
Wild Card teams|
(Top 2 qualify for 1-game playoff)
|(4) Kansas City Royals||89||73||0.549||+1|
|(5) Oakland Athletics||88||74||0.543||—|
|New York Yankees||84||78||0.519||4|
|Toronto Blue Jays||83||79||0.512||5|
|Tampa Bay Rays||77||85||0.475||11|
|Chicago White Sox||73||89||0.451||15|
|Boston Red Sox||71||91||0.438||17|
Record vs. opponents
2014 AL Records
Source: AL Standings Head-to-Head
|2014 Boston Red Sox|
|Past Games Legend|
|Red Sox Win
|Red Sox Loss
|Eliminated from Playoff Race*
|Boldface text denotes a Red Sox pitcher|
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Pawtucket, GCL Red Sox
- "Boston Red Sox 2014 Schedule – Red Sox Home and Away – Part 1". ESPN. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Boston Red Sox 2014 Schedule – Home and Away – Part 2". ESPN. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Tim Daniels (November 1, 2013). "Jon Lester Has $13M Club Option for 2014 Picked Up by Red Sox". Bleacher Report. Retrieved November 2, 2013.
- Ricky Doyle (November 11, 2013). "Red Sox Announce That Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Drew, Mike Napoli Have Declined One-Year Qualifying Offers". NESN.com. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- Ian Browne (December 3, 2013). "Pierzynski agrees to one-year deal with Red Sox". MLB.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Mike Axisa (December 3, 2013). "Marlins agree to three-year deal with Jarrod Saltalamacchia". CBS Sports.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Albert Chen (December 4, 2013). "Yankees sign Jacoby Ellsbury to a seven-year, $153 million deal". MLB.SI.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "December 2013 transactions". redsox.com. December 18, 2013. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- "Red Sox sign Watanabe to minor league deal". boston.com. December 18, 2013. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "Red Sox trade Franklin Morales to Rockies". boston.com. December 18, 2013. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "Red Sox agree to one-year deal with Grady Sizemore". cbssports.com. January 22, 2014. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "Sox righty Ryan Dempster won't pitch in 2014". Boston Herald. February 16, 2014. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- Red Sox–Orioles postponed due to inclement weather. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Leventhal, Josh, ed. (2014). Baseball America 2015 Almanac. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America. ISBN 978-1-932391-54-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2014 Boston Red Sox season.|