2014 Canadian Grand Prix
|2014 Canadian Grand Prix|
|Race 7 of 19 in the 2014 Formula One World Championship|
Layout of the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
|Date||8 June 2014|
|Official name||Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2014|
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve|
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Course length||4.361 km (2.710 mi)|
|Distance||70 laps, 305.270 km (189.700 mi)|
|Weather||Partially cloudy, hot and dry, Air: 27 °C (81 °F)|
|Time||1:18.504 on lap 58|
|First||Red Bull Racing-Renault|
|Third||Red Bull Racing-Renault|
The 2014 Canadian Grand Prix, formally known as the Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2014, was a Formula One motor race that took place on 8 June 2014 at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Won by Daniel Ricciardo, the race was the seventh round of the 2014 season, and marked the 51st Canadian Grand Prix. This is the sixth race in Grand Prix history to end behind the safety car, after a last lap collision between Felipe Massa and Sergio Pérez.
Tyre supplier Pirelli brought its yellow-banded soft compound tyre as the harder "prime" tyre and the red-banded supersoft compound tyre as the softer "option" tyre, as opposed to the previous year where medium and super-soft selections were provided.
Practice and qualifying
Three practice sessions were held before the race; the first on Friday morning and the second on Friday afternoon. Both sessions lasted one and a half hours. The third session was held on Saturday morning and lasted an hour.
Fernando Alonso set the fastest time in the first practice session, ahead of Lewis Hamilton. In the second practice session, Hamilton went fastest ahead of Nico Rosberg. Hamilton was fastest again in the third practice session, ahead of Felipe Massa.
The qualifying session held on Saturday afternoon was split into three parts. The first part ran for 18 minutes and eliminated the cars from qualifying that finished the session 17th or lower. The second part of qualifying lasted 15 minutes and eliminated cars that finished in positions 11 to 16. The final part of qualifying determined the positions from first to tenth, and decided pole position. Cars which completed in the final session of qualifying were not allowed to change tyres before the race, and as such started the race on the tyres they set their quickest lap on.
Qualifying took place under dry conditions. In Q1, Lewis Hamilton set the fastest time. Hamilton set the fastest time again in Q2. In Q3 Nico Rosberg set the fastest time, clinching his third pole position of the season with a time of 1:14.874. Hamilton joined him on the front row of the grid, missing out by 0.079 seconds after locking up his brakes on both of his Q3 laps. He was followed on the grid by Sebastian Vettel who beat his teammate by qualifying third. Valtteri Bottas qualified fourth, 0.7 seconds behind Rosberg and his Williams teammate Massa qualified fifth. Ricciardo, Alonso, Jean-Éric Vergne, Jenson Button and Kimi Räikkönen – in his 200th Grand Prix weekend – rounded out the top ten. Nico Hülkenberg only managed 11th — missing out on the top ten by just 0.045 seconds. Kevin Magnussen placed his McLaren in 12th, ahead of Pérez, Romain Grosjean, Daniil Kvyat, with Adrian Sutil qualifying 16th. Pastor Maldonado was 17th, with the rest of the field consisting of the Marussia and the Caterham cars. Sauber driver Esteban Gutiérrez did not take part in the qualifying session, due to an accident during the earlier free practice session, leaving his team unable to repair his car in time.
Although Gutiérrez did not take part in qualifying, he was allowed to start the race by the stewards who judged that he was capable to compete in a sufficient pace based on his free practice times. Later on he was penalized by having to start from the pit lane because his team had to change the gearbox and the survival cell of his car as a result of his free practice accident. Kamui Kobayashi received a five place grid penalty for an unscheduled gearbox change.
At the start of the race, Lewis Hamilton tried going around the outside of Nico Rosberg into the first corner, but Rosberg locked a brake and ran wide, forcing Hamilton to back out of the move and lose second place to Vettel.
Hamilton overtook Vettel to reclaim second place on lap 10, and then closed to within a second of Rosberg over the following laps. On lap 26, Rosberg was investigated by the stewards for gaining an unfair advantage after he locked-up and cut the chicane. No penalty was given by the stewards, but a "final warning" was issued to Rosberg.
Having built up a lead in excess of 20 seconds over their closest competitors by lap 37, the Mercedes of Hamilton and Rosberg suffered almost simultaneous MGU-K failures, occurring on lap 37 and 38 respectively. The loss of the MGU-K systems caused the Mercedes cars to effectively lose around 160 horsepower and put additional strain on their rear brakes. This loss of power resulted in them lapping considerably slower than the cars behind them. On lap 46, Hamilton passed Rosberg when exiting the pit lane following his second pit stop. At the turn 10 hairpin, Hamilton went wide after having complained of brake problems. This allowed Rosberg to move back up into second, behind race leader Massa. On the casino straight, after attempting to pass Rosberg once again, Hamilton completely lost his brakes and cut the chicane, conceding the place back to Rosberg on the following straight. Hamilton retired from the race due to the brake failure on lap 48. Mercedes later confirmed that the cause of the problem was the rear brakes overheating.
As Massa pitted for soft tyres, Sergio Pérez and the Red Bulls caught up to Rosberg and a train of cars formed behind the Mercedes driver, with Rosberg, Pérez, Ricciardo and Vettel running in close succession. While Pérez's Force India was faster than Rosberg's Mercedes in a straight line following its MGU-K failure, Rosberg was able to pull out enough of a gap in the more downforce-reliant sections of the track to stay out of DRS range on the pit straight and defend his lead. Meanwhile, Massa in fifth was rapidly closing on the cars in front following his pit stop, setting the fastest lap and closing in on Vettel by as much as a second per lap. Pérez began to develop a problem with his brakes, and on lap 66, Ricciardo passed him into turn one, moving up to second place. On the following lap, Ricciardo took 0.7 seconds out of Rosberg's lead, and on the penultimate lap passed Rosberg on the casino straight to take the lead of the race. Vettel then passed Pérez into the final chicane to move up to third.
On the final lap, Massa, who had been close behind the cars ahead, attempted to overtake Pérez coming into turn one. Massa's front right tyre collided with the back of Pérez's car, which caused them both to crash into the barriers at high speed and resulted in the deployment of the safety car for the final moments of the race. Daniel Ricciardo won the first race of his Formula One career, taking Red Bull's first victory of the 2014 season. Rosberg finished second – and extended his championship lead to 22 points – after nursing his car home with the problems that had occurred with its kinetic motor generator unit (MGU-K).
After the race Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton were referred to the stewards for their collision during the first lap. Sergio Pérez and Felipe Massa were referred to the stewards as well for their collision during the last lap. The stewards deemed Chilton and Pérez responsible for the accidents and issued them with a three-place and a five-place grid penalty, respectively, for the following race.
|3||1||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull Racing-Renault||1:17.470||1:16.109||1:15.548||3|
|6||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull Racing-Renault||1:17.113||1:15.897||1:15.589||6|
|8||25||Jean-Éric Vergne||Toro Rosso-Renault||1:17.178||1:16.255||1:16.162||8|
|11||27||Nico Hülkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||1:16.897||1:16.300||11|
|13||11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||1:18.235||1:16.472||13|
|15||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso-Renault||1:16.938||1:16.713||15|
|107% time: 1:21.052|
|NC2||21||Esteban Gutiérrez||Sauber-Ferrari||No time2||PL3|
- ^1 — Kamui Kobayashi was given a five-place grid penalty for an unscheduled gearbox change.
- ^2 — Esteban Gutiérrez did not take part in qualifying because his team was unable to repair damage on his car, sustained as a result of a crash during Free Practice 3, in time. He was allowed to start the race on the stewards' discretion, who judged that he is capable of lapping with the 107% limit based on his free practice times.
- ^3 — Gutiérrez was further penalized with having to start from the pit lane because his car needed a gearbox and a survival cell change as a result of his accident during free practice.
- ^1, 2, 3 — Sergio Pérez, Felipe Massa and Esteban Gutiérrez did not finish the race but were classified as they completed more than 90% of the race distance.
Championship standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "2014 Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. Archived from the original on 7 April 2014. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Daniel Ricciardo wins Canadian Grand Prix after Mercedes suffer power problems and Lewis Hamilton retires due to brake failure". Daily Mail. 8 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Pirelli reveal tyre choices for Spain, Monaco and Canada". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. 11 April 2014. Archived from the original on 13 April 2014. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "2014 Formula One Sporting Regulations" (PDF). FIA.com. Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 28 February 2014. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- "2014 Canadian Grand Prix Results". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- ""Time flies" as Raikkonen prepares for 200th GP". Crash.net. Crash Media Group. 5 June 2014. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Qualifying — Rosberg beats Hamilton to pole in Canada". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. 7 June 2014. Archived from the original on 9 June 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- Straw, Edd (7 June 2014). "Sauber's Esteban Gutierrez to miss qualifying". Autosport. Haymarket Publications. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- FIA Stewards Decision — Document No. 24 (PDF). FIA.com (Report). Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 7 June 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 July 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- FIA Stewards Decision — Document No. 26 (PDF). FIA.com (Report). Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 7 June 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- FIA Stewards Decision — Document No. 27 (PDF). FIA.com (Report). Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 7 June 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Canadian GP as it happened". BBC. 8 June 2014. Archived from the original on 11 June 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- FIA Stewards Decision — Document No. 38 (PDF). FIA.com (Report). Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 8 June 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 July 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- FIA Stewards Decision — Document No. 39 (PDF). FIA.com (Report). Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 8 June 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 July 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- FIA Stewards Decision — Document No. 40 (PDF). FIA.com (Report). Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 8 June 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- FIA Stewards Decision — Document No. 42 (PDF). FIA.com (Report). Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 8 June 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 July 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- FIA Stewards Decision — Document No. 44 (PDF). FIA.com (Report). Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 8 June 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 June 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Formula One Grand Prix du Canada 2014". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. 7 June 2014. Archived from the original on 8 June 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2014". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. 8 June 2014. Archived from the original on 8 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Canadian Grand Prix Live". Yahoo. 8 June 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2014 Canadian Grand Prix.|
2014 Monaco Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
2014 Austrian Grand Prix
2013 Canadian Grand Prix
|Canadian Grand Prix||Next race:|
2015 Canadian Grand Prix