2014 Copa del Rey Final
|Event||2013–14 Copa del Rey|
|Date||16 April 2014|
|Man of the Match||Gareth Bale (Real Madrid)|
|Referee||Mateu Lahoz (Valencian committee)|
The 2014 Copa del Rey Final was the 112th final of Spain's premier football cup since its establishment. The match was an El Clásico between Real Madrid and Barcelona on 16 April 2014 at Mestalla in Valencia, making it the seventh such Copa del Rey final (the last one was also played at the Mestalla on 20 April 2011). Real Madrid won the cup for the 19th time after a 2–1 win.
Road to the final
|Olímpic de Xàtiva||2–0||0–0 away; 2–0 home||Round of 32||Cartagena||7–1||4–1 away; 3–0 home|
|Osasuna||4–0||2–0 home; 2–0 away||Round of 16||Getafe||6–0||4–0 home; 2–0 away|
|Espanyol||2–0||1–0 away; 1–0 home||Quarterfinals||Levante||9–2||4–1 away; 5–1 home|
|Atlético Madrid||5–0||3–0 home; 2–0 away||Semifinals||Real Sociedad||3–1||2–0 home; 1–1 away|
The match was re-scheduled to be played three days earlier than the original date as there was a chance that both clubs could have UEFA Champions League semi-finals the following week. Each team was allotted 20,000 tickets for club members. Real Madrid's top scorer of the season Cristiano Ronaldo missed the final due to knee and thigh injuries.
Real Madrid were appearing in their 39th Copa del Rey Final, with a prior tally of 18 victories, while Barcelona had won 26 of their 35 finals. The two teams had each won three of the six previous El Clásico finals: Real Madrid in 1936, 1974 and 2011, Barcelona in 1968, 1983 and 1990. The 2011 win was Real Madrid's most recent, having been defeated in the 2013 final. Barcelona had last won the cup in 2012.
After 11 minutes Real Madrid went in front when Ángel Di María's low left footed shot from the left went through Jordi Alba's legs and in off goalkeeper José Manuel Pinto's left hand. Barcelona were level in the 68th minute when Marc Bartra headed into the far corner of the net after a Xavi corner from the left. The winning goal came with five minutes to go when Gareth Bale picked the ball up just inside his own half on the left wing and went past Bartra at a blistering pace (at one point off the field before running back onto the field) leaving Bartra in his wake, before running into the penalty area, evading more challenges and then composedly slotting the ball left-footed low past the goalkeeper from six yards out.
16 April 2014
|Di María 11'
- "La RFEF acogió la reunión entre los finalistas de la Copa de SM el Rey" (in Spanish). Royal Spanish Football Federation. 20 February 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Cristiano Ronaldo out of Real Madrid v Barcelona tie". BBC Sport. 15 April 2014. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "Barcelona 1-2 Real Madrid Live". Daily Telegraph. 16 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Barcelona 1-2 Real Madrid". BBC Sport. 16 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Brilliant Bale breakaway heaps more misery on Martino's men". Goal.com. 16 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Barcelona vs. Real Madrid Copa del Rey final rescheduled". Sports Illustrated. 10 April 2014. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "Cristiano Ronaldo ruled out of cup final". ESPN. 10 April 2014. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "Cristiano Ronaldo to miss Copa del Rey final against Barcelona with injury". Guardian. 15 April 2014. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "Spain - List of Cup Finals". RSSSF. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "Barcelona 1-2 Real Madrid". Daily Mail. 16 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Real Madrid's Gareth Bale gallops past Barcelona to land Copa del Rey". Guardian. 16 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Gareth Bale and Real Madrid stars given victorious homecoming after win against fierce rivals Barcelona in Copa del Rey final". Daily Mail. 17 April 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2014.