2014 FIFA World Cup qualification – UEFA Second Round
The UEFA Second Round will be contested by the best eight runners-up from the nine first round groups from the UEFA segment of the qualification tournament for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in football. The winners of each of four home and away ties will join the group winners in the World Cup in Brazil. The matches, which are often referred to as 'play-offs', will be played on 15 and 19 November 2013.
The eight best runners-up from the UEFA First Round qualified for the play-offs; with one group having one team fewer than the others, matches against the sixth-placed team in each First Round group are not included in this ranking. As a result, eight matches played by each team counted for the purposes of ranking the runners-up (below table).
Ranking of second-placed teams
The eight best runners-up were determined by the following parameters in this order:
- Highest number of points
- Goal difference
- Highest number of goals scored
Seeding and draw
The second round draw took place at the headquarters of FIFA in Zurich on 21 October at 14:00 UTC+2. October 2013 FIFA World Rankings was used to decide which of the teams would be seeded (shown below in brackets).
|Pot 1||Pot 2|
The draw was conducted by Gordon Savic, Head of FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, with the assistance of former Switzerland international Alexander Frei. The matches are scheduled to be played on 15 and 19 November 2013.
|Team 1||Agg.||Team 2||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Portugal||Sweden||15 Nov 2013||19 Nov 2013|
|Ukraine||France||15 Nov 2013||19 Nov 2013|
|Greece||Romania||15 Nov 2013||19 Nov 2013|
|Iceland||Croatia||15 Nov 2013||19 Nov 2013|
|Pos||Player||Country||Suspended for match(es)||Reason|
|DF||Birkir Már Sævarsson||Iceland||2||0||vs Croatia (15 November 2013)||Booked in two 2014 World Cup qualifying matches|
|MF||Ognjen Vukojević||Croatia||2||0||vs Iceland (15 November 2013)||Booked in two 2014 World Cup qualifying matches|
|FW||Panagiotis Kone||Greece||2||0||vs Romania (15 November 2013)||Booked in two 2014 World Cup qualifying matches|
- "Dates set for African and European qualifying draws". FIFA. 2013-06-15.
- "Watch the European play-off draw on FIFA.com". uefa.com. 18 October 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "World Cup play-off seeds confirmed". uefa.com. 17 October 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "European play-off draw procedures explained". FIFA.com. 17 October 2013.
- "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil - Preliminary Competition Format and Draw Procedures - European Zone" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 29 July 2011. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "European hopefuls learn play-off fate". FIFA.com. 21 October 2013.
- "World Cup 2014 play-offs draw – live!". Guardian UK. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- "Mundial 2014: Portugal-Suécia antecipado para as 19h45" (in Portuguese). Futebol365. 25 October 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2013.