2014 Kabul Serena Hotel attack
|2014 Kabul Serena Hotel attack|
|Part of the War in Afghanistan (2001–present)|
|Date||March 20, 2014
20:30 – 23:30 (UTC+4:30)
|Target||Foreign election observers and journalists|
|Deaths||9 (+4 attackers)|
The 2014 Kabul Serena Hotel attack was a mass shooting at the restaurant of the Kabul Serena Hotel, in Kabul, Afghanistan on March 20, 2014 for which the Taliban claimed responsibility. Four teenage gunmen entered the restaurant of the hotel, opening fire with handguns against patrons and sparking a three-hour standoff with Afghan security forces. At least nine people were reported killed in the assault, including five Afghans and four foreigners. Among the victims was former Paraguyan diplomat Luis Maria Duarte, who was in the country as an international observer in the upcoming Presidential elections. Afghan authorities later announced that four women and two children were among the victims, which included nationals of New Zealand, Pakistan, India and Canada. At least two of the hotel's security guards were injured during the assault as well.
In 2008 there was a bomb and firearms attack in the hotel's gym. In that attack on January 14, 2008 six people were killed. The Taliban claimed responsibility.
The four underage teenager attackers killed nine hotel guests. After a gunfight with the police, four of the attackers died in the shootout.
Those killed were: two women from Canada, two Bangladeshis, a man and a woman with dual USA/Bangladesh citizenship, a woman from New Zealand,four Afghans (include a family of three), and one Paraguayan.
|Bangladesh/ United States||1|
- Luis Maria Duarte, former ambassador of Paraguay to Afghanistan, United Nations lawyer.
- Ahmad Sardar, Afghan journalist for Agence France-Presse, killed along with his wife and two children; their third child was badly injured.
- 2008 Kabul Serena Hotel attack: A similar attack that occurred on the same hotel 6 years prior.
- 2015 Park Palace guesthouse attack: An attack by the Taliban on a Kabul guesthouse hosting foreign nationals.
- Boston Marathon bombing
- List of Islamist terrorist attacks
- List of terrorist incidents, January–June 2014
- "Afghan Official says 9 People, including 4 Foreigners, Killed in Attack on Kabul hotel (Reuters)". Bigstory.ap.org. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "Taliban attack on Kabul hotel kills nine civilians". Yahoo News. News.yahoo.com. Archived from the original on 22 March 2014. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "9 People killed in a Terrorist Attack at Serena Hotel in Kabul". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- "Two Canadian women, an optometrist and an English teacher, dead after ’brazen’ Kabul hotel attack". Toronto Star. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "AFP reporter, family among nine killed in Kabul hotel attack". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/world/asia/gunmen-open-fire-at-a-luxury-hotel-in-afghanistan.html?_r=0 Journalist Among 9 Killed in Afghan Attack
- "Diplomático paraguayo fallece en un ataque de talibanes en hotel de Kabul" (in Spanish). ABC Color. Retrieved 21 March 2014.