2014 Mumbai stampede
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for events. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Location of Maharashtra state in India
|Date||18 January 2014|
|Location||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
The stampede started around 1:30 a.m. when his supporters had assembled to pay their last respect after the gates were opened and the crowds burst in. According to the BBC, "reports suggest people were crushed after the gates of the house where the body of Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin were kept were closed." Eighteen people were confirmed dead and around fifty-six injured.
According to one mourner, "There were a lot of people pouring in, and there was not much attention given by the government and the police, who should have been here and who should have managed things." Another mourner said, "In an attempt to get a glimpse of the Syedna, people started climbing on the main gates. Several fell and commotion ensued."
A full list of the victims and their ages was later provided.
- "18 people killed in stampede in Mumbai". Hindustantimes.com. 2014-01-18. Retrieved 2014-06-12.
- "18 people killed in Mumbai stampede". Hindustan Times. 18 January 2014. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- A Stampede of Mourners in India Kills at Least 18
- "Funeral stampede kills 18 in Indian city of Mumbai". Bbc.co.uk. 2014-01-18. Retrieved 2014-06-12.
- "Malabar Hill Stampede leaves 18 Dead and 20 injured". Biharprabha News. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- Staff writer (January 19, 2014). "Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin laid to rest in Mumbai, 70,000 mourners attend funeral". http://zeenews.india.com/. Zee Media Corporation Ltd. Archived from the original on February 12, 2014. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
At least 70,000 mourners attended the funeral of their spiritual leader. At least 18 people were killed and over 50 others were injured in a stampede that broke out early Saturday near the Malabar Hill residence of Syedna, officials said.External link in
- "Eighteen die in stampede at home of Muslim spiritual leader in Mumbai". In.reuters.com. 2014-01-18. Retrieved 2014-06-12.
- "18 killed in stampede ahead of Bohra leader’s funeral in Mumbai". Indianexpress.com. 2014-01-19. Retrieved 2014-06-12.
- "18 dead in Mumbai in stampede outside Dawoodi Bohra spiritual leader Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin's residence". Dnaindia.com. 2014-01-18. Retrieved 2014-06-12.