2014 Stade Tata Raphaël disaster
|Date||May 11, 2014|
|Location||Stade Tata Raphaël, Kinshasa|
The 2014 Stade Tata Raphaël disaster refers to a stampede that occurred in Kinshasa at the Stade Tata Raphaël on 11 May 2014.
Fifteen people lost their lives after police launched tear gas into the stands causing a stampede. A police source who declined to be named put the death toll higher, at 18. Governor Andre Kimbuta said at least 24 other people were injured during the melee that followed.
Supporters were said to have been blinded by the gas, with the panic and confusion contributing to the collapse of a stadium wall. Suffocation was reported to have been the cause of death in most instances.
- Emma Farge (11 May 2014). "At least 15 killed in Congo football stadium stampede". Reuters.
- "Division I: 15 morts après la rencontre V.club-Mazembe (officiel)". Radio Okapi. 12 May 2014. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "DR Congo football fans killed in stampede". Aljazeera. 12 May 2014.
- "DR Congo football fans killed in stadium stampede". France 24. 12 May 2014.
- "Congo-Kinshasa: Multiple Deaths in DR Congo Soccer Stampede". allAfrica.com. 12 May 2014.
|This article about disaster management or a disaster is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|