2014 Women's British Open
|Dates||10–13 July 2014|
|Course(s)||Royal Birkdale Golf Club|
|Organized by||Ladies' Golf Union|
|Tour(s)||Ladies European Tour|
|Length||6,458 yards (5,905 m)|
|Field||144 players, 70 after cut|
The 2014 Ricoh Women's British Open was played 10–13 July at the Royal Birkdale Golf Club in Southport, England. It was the 38th Women's British Open, and the 14th as a major championship on the LPGA Tour. It was the sixth Women's British Open at Royal Birkdale, the most recent was four years earlier in 2010. ESPN and BBC Sport televised the event from Royal Birkdale.
Mo Martin won her first major, one shot ahead of runners-up Shanshan Feng and Suzann Pettersen. Martin led after 36 holes at 138 (−6) after consecutive rounds of 69, but fell three shots back with a 77 (+5) on Saturday, tied with six others for seventh place. An hour ahead of the final pair on a clear and breezy Sunday, she shot even par, capped by an eagle at the final hole. Her second shot from the fairway on the par 5 nearly holed out for an albatross (double eagle); it rolled onto the green and struck the flagstick, stopping six feet (1.8 m) away. She sank the putt and waited for the others to finish, preparing for a potential playoff. It was Martin's first win on the LPGA Tour, and moved her from 99 to 26 in the women's world rankings.
The field for the tournament was set at 144, and most earned exemptions based on past performance on the Ladies European Tour, the LPGA Tour, previous major championships, or with a high ranking in the Women's World Golf Rankings. The rest of the field earned entry by successfully competing in qualifying tournaments open to any female golfer, professional or amateur, with a low handicap.
- The top 15 finishers (and ties) from the 2013 Women's British Open.
- The top 10 Ladies European Tour members in the Women's World Golf Rankings not already exempt under category 1.
- The top 30 LPGA Tour members in the Women's World Golf Rankings not already exempt under category 1.
- Chella Choi, Carlota Ciganda, Haeji Kang, Cristie Kerr (10), Christina Kim, I.K. Kim (7), Lydia Ko (7), Jessica Korda (7), Ilhee Lee, Brittany Lincicome, Mika Miyazato, Se Ri Pak, Inbee Park (7,8,10), Pornanong Phatlum, Gerina Piller, So Yeon Ryu (10), Jenny Shin, Angela Stanford, Lexi Thompson (7,10), Yani Tseng (9,10), Karrie Webb (7), Michelle Wie (7,10), Amy Yang
- The top 25 on the current LET money list not already exempt under category 1 or 2.
- Beth Allen, Maria Balikoeva, Stacy Lee Bregman, Hannah Burke, Nikki Campbell, Holly Clyburn, Laura Davies, Valentine Derrey (7), Sophie Giquel-Bettan, Trish Johnson, Malene Jørgensen, Sarah Kemp, Vikki Laing, Camilla Lennarth, Amelia Lewis, Diana Luna, Gwladys Nocera, Lee-Anne Pace, Titiya Plucksataporn, Marion Ricordeau, Klára Spilková, Kylie Walker (7), Sophie Walker, Linda Wessberg, Cheyenne Woods (7)
- The top 40 on the current LPGA Tour money list not already exempt under category 1 or 3.
- Amy Anderson, Christel Boeljon, Katie Burnett, Dori Carter, Paz Echeverria, Austin Ernst, Julieta Granada, Mina Harigae, Eun-Hee Ji, Tiffany Joh, Danielle Kang, Kim Kaufman, P.K. Kongkraphan, Candie Kung, Brittany Lang, Mi Hyang Lee (7), Mirim Lee, Mo Martin, Caroline Masson, Belen Mozo, Haru Nomura, Brooke Pancake, Dewi Claire Schreefel, Giulia Sergas, Sarah Jane Smith, Thidapa Suwannapura, Ayako Uehara, Mariajo Uribe, Line Vedel, Alison Walshe, Sun-Young Yoo (10)
- The top five on the current LPGA of Japan Tour (JLPGA) money list not already exempt under category 1, 2, 3 or 11.
- Winners of any recognised LET or LPGA Tour events in the calendar year 2014.
- Winners of the 2013 LET, LPGA, JLPGA and KLPGA money lists.
- Winners of the last 10 editions of the Women's British Open.
- Winners of the last five editions of the U.S. Women's Open, Kraft Nabisco Championship, and LPGA Championship.
- Winner of the 2013 Japan LPGA Tour Championship Ricoh Cup.
- The leading five LPGA Tour members upon completion of 36 holes in the 2014 Manulife Financial LPGA Classic who have entered the Championship and who are not otherwise exempt.
- The leading three LET members in the 2014 ISPS Handa Ladies European Masters, who have entered the Championship and who are not otherwise exempt.
- The 2014 British Ladies Amateur champion, 2013 U.S. Women's Amateur champion, 2013 International European Ladies Amateur Championship champion, winner or next available player in the 2013 LGU Order of Merit, and the Mark H. McCormack Medal holder provided they are still amateurs at the time of the Championship and a maximum of two other leading amateurs at the discretion of the Ladies' Golf Union.
- Any players granted special exemptions from qualifying by the Championship Committee.
- Minjee Lee (a)
- Balance of the 90 LPGA Tour members
- Holly Aitchison, Bree Arthur, Laetitia Beck, Becky Brewerton, Cathryn Bristow, Katie Futcher, Stacey Keating, Louise Larsson, Stephanie Meadow, Stephanie Na, Su-Hyun Oh (a), Marianne Skarpnord, Nontaya Srisawang, Lauren Taylor, Liz Young
- Lucy Williams replaced Lizette Salas
Nationalities in the field
|North America (35)||South America (3)||Europe (49)||Oceania (11)||Asia (43)||Africa (3)|
|Canada (1)||Chile (1)||England (13)||Australia (9)||China (2)||South Africa (3)|
|United States (34)||Colombia (1)||Scotland (4)||New Zealand (2)||Israel (1)|
|Paraguay (1)||Wales (2)||Japan (11)|
|Northern Ireland (1)||South Korea (21)|
|Czech Republic (1)||Taiwan (2)|
|Denmark (3)||Thailand (6)|
Past champions in the field
Made the cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Stacy Lewis||United States||2013||71||74||70||78||293||+5||T12|
|Jiyai Shin||South Korea||2008, 2012||72||75||71||79||297||+9||T29|
|Jeong Jang||South Korea||2005||73||74||74||79||300||+12||T45|
Missed the cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||Total||To par|
|Yani Tseng||Taiwan||2010, 2011||82||72||154||+10|
|Se Ri Pak||South Korea||2001||79||WD||79||+7|
Previous lengths of the course for the Women's British Open (since 2001):
Thursday, 10 July 2014
|2||Mo Martin||United States||69||−3|
|T3||Mina Harigae||United States||70||−2|
|Morgan Pressel||United States|
|Stacy Lewis||United States|
|So Yeon Ryu||South Korea|
|Amy Yang||South Korea|
|T10||Marina Alex||United States||72||E|
|Lydia Ko||New Zealand|
|Jessica Korda||United States|
|Amelia Lewis||United States|
|Inbee Park||South Korea|
|Jiyai Shin||South Korea|
|Emma Talley (a)||United States|
|Lexi Thompson||United States|
Friday, 11 July 2014
|1||Mo Martin||United States||69-69=138||−6|
|So Yeon Ryu||South Korea||71-70=141|
|T4||Sun-Ju Ahn||South Korea||75-67=142||−2|
|Amelia Lewis||United States||72-71=143|
|Amy Yang||South Korea||71-72=143|
|Eun-Hee Ji||South Korea||74-70=144|
|Jessica Korda||United States||72-72=144|
|Inbee Park||South Korea||72-72=144|
|Morgan Pressel||United States||70-74=144|
Saturday, 12 July 2014
|1||Inbee Park||South Korea||72-72-68=212||−4|
|T2||Sun-Ju Ahn||South Korea||75-67-71=213||−3|
|Amelia Lewis||United States||72-71-71=214|
|Eun-Hee Ji||South Korea||74-70-71=215|
|Stacy Lewis||United States||71-74-70=215|
|Mo Martin||United States||69-69-77=215|
|So-Yeon Ryu||South Korea||71-70-74=215|
|Amy Yang||South Korea||71-72-72=215|
Sunday, 13 July 2014
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Mo Martin||United States||69-69-77-72=287||−1||474,575|
|4||Inbee Park||South Korea||72-72-68-77=289||+1||151,532|
|Eun-Hee Ji||South Korea||74-70-71-76=291|
|Jessica Korda||United States||72-72-73-74=291|
|Angela Stanford||United States||74-72-70-75=291|
|T9||Sun-Ju Ahn||South Korea||75-67-71-79=292||+4||72,911|
|Marina Alex||United States||72-76-68-76=292|
Amateurs: Talley (+6), Hall (+9).
Cumulative tournament scores, relative to par
- "Ricoh Women's British Open: Course Statistics". Ladies' Golf Union. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Mo Martin wins British Open". ESPN. Associated Press. 13 July 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Mo Martin wins Women's British Open to cap a Cinderella story". Guardian. 13 July 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Rolex Rankings Move of the Week: Mo Martin". LPGA. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "2014 Ricoh Women's British Open – Competition Entry Details". Ladies' Golf Union. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Ricoh Women's British Open – Tournament Entry List". Ladies European Tour. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "Ricoh Women's British Open Final-Qualifying". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Edwards, Michael (10 July 2014). "Williams gets late call up to Women's British Open". The Herts Advertiser.
- "Ricoh Women's British Open". Ladies European Tour. 13 July 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Leaderboard: RICOH Women's British Open". Yahoo! Sports. 13 July 2014. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- Official website
- LPGA.com - Women's British Open - microsite
- Ladies European Tour: Women's British Open
- Ladies' Golf Union: Women's British Open
2014 U.S. Women's Open
|Major Championships||Succeeded by|
2014 LPGA Championship