2014 in Philippine sports
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following is a list of notable events that are related to Philippine sports in 2014.
- 1 Events
- 2 Multisports
- 3 Collegiate sports
- 4 Individual sports
- 5 Team sports
- 6 Deaths
- 7 References
- January 18: ABS-CBN's new UHF sports channel on Channel 23, ABS-CBN Sports+Action, was officially launched.
- February 7: Shell Eco-Marathon was held at the Rizal Park. 109 teams from countries across Asia and the Middle East competed for a vehicle that can travel farthest by using the least amount of fuel.
- April 10: The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) board formally approved the application letters of the three new expansion teams, including NLEX Road Warriors (under Metro Pacific Tollways Corporation) and Blackwater Sports (under Ever Bilena) which were currently played for the PBA D-League and Kia Motors (under Columbian Autocars Corporation). These teams will be start playing for the 2014–2015 40th season of the PBA.
- April 26: The first NBA Cafe in the world located at the top floor of SM Aura Premier, Taguig City was opened to the public. US Ambassador to the Philippines Philip Goldberg and Gordon Hayward of the Utah Jazz present on its opening.
- April 30: Businessman and sports patron Manuel V. Pangilinan announced his interest to buy the minority stake of Los Angeles Clippers amid the impose of the association of lifetime ban for team owner Donald Sterling due to racist comments. But the plan did not push through after former Microsoft CEO Steve Balmer acquired the ownership of the team on May 30.
- May 10:
- In the latest rankings by FIFA, the ranking of the Philippine Azkals was now up by 3 notches; due to this, the Philippine national football team is now at the 140th place.
- Twenty teams composing of poor communities in Metro Manila head-to-head in the first Ambassador's Cup organized by the University of Asia and the Pacific. Served as a grassroots project, the cup will help children learn from playing football.
- May 14: The University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) board have submitted the proposal to foreign players in playing for the Basketball tournament to be implemented in the following season. Foreign players who have residency will still be allowed to play in the collegiate league.
- May 15–17: The University of Santo Tomas together with the International Korfball Federation was held the IKF Level 1 Coaching Certification for Sports Leaders of Universities and Schools and 2014 National Korfball Seminar-Workshop at the UST Quadricentennial Pavilion, España, Manila.
- May 26: Committee Report No. 27 on House Bill No. 4084 on the naturalization of NBA player Andray Blatche as a Filipino citizen passed the third and final reading of the Senate with 20 affirmative votes. Blatche will settle to play for Gilas Pilipinas for the 2014 FIBA World Cup.
- May 30: Former PBA broadcast analyst and Talk N' Text Tropang Texters consultant Andy Jao named as the newly appointed commissioner for the basketball tournament of the UAAP Season 77 which the University of the East is the host university for the season. Jao once held duties as the commissioner in 2011 when the Ateneo de Manila University is the host university.
- June 1 – 15: "Pagpupugay: 100 Taon ng Philippine Sports", an event organized by former PBL commissioner and GMA 7 sportscaster Chino Trinidad featuring some of the memorabilia of the 19 legends of Philippine sports exhibited in the Resorts World Manila.
- June 8: In a rare event, Vietnam's and the Philippines' Navies played football, tug of war and volleyball for the daylong sports and cultural festival held at the Southwest Cay Island in the West Philippine Sea.
- June 9
- Filipino boxing champion and Sarangani congressman Manny Pacquiao was announced as the newest head coach of the Kia Motors team, one of the three newest expansion teams in the PBA. Pacquiao says he really focused in coaching than act as a playing coach.
- Filipino Chess Grandmaster Wesley So announced he is migrated to the United States to seek further studies at the Webster University and to accredit for the U.S. Chess Federation.
- June 12: Filipino car racing champion Enzo Pastor was shot dead by an unknown suspect in Congressional Avenue, Quezon City. Racing enthusiasts mourned after the untimely death of Pastor.
- June 16: NLEX Road Warriors will discontinued their option as an expansion team of the PBA but they chooses to buy an existing franchise in the league, particularly in Air 21 Express.
- June 18: Former PBA player turned PBA television coverage analyst Jason Webb joined the San Mig Super Coffee Mixers as their assistant coach. Webb will joined fellow TV analyst Richard del Rosario for the coaching duties.
- July 22: Basketball fans were dismayed inside the Smart Araneta Coliseum and thru social media after the last-minute cancellation of the "PLDT The Last Home Stand" exhibition match of the Gilas Pilipinas and the team composed of NBA players including 2014 NBA Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard, James Harden, Tyson Chandler, Brandon Jennings, Matt Barnes, Damian Lillard, DeMar DeRozan, Kyle Lowry, and Terrence Ross. Instead the game turned-out to a sessions of practices and drills with Gilas and the FIBR All Stars. PLDT chairman Manny V. Pangilinan expresses his deepest apologies to the fans and he promised to give refunds for the ticketholders of the 2-day event.
- July 25: Philip Ella Juico, former Philippine Sports Commission chairman (1996–1998), replaced Go Teng Kok as the chairman of the Philippine Amateur Track and Field Association (PATAFA).
- August 4: Stephan Schrock announced he was "resigning" from the Philippines national team, effectively announcing his international retirement to "pursue new challenges". He then revealed that he resigned as a protest against perceived internal problems in the Philippine Football Federation. He went on to say that he felt the veteran players of the national team were not being respected and won't play for the national team as long as Thomas Dooley is head coach.
- September 15: Teen actor Daniel Padilla was named as the #15th round draft pick for the AMA University for the 2014 PBA D-League Rookie Draft. Padilla said he will not suit up for AMA. Fil-Tongan Moala Tattua named as the first round pick of the draft.
- November 28 – 30: The 2014 Manila Mavericks season of the International Premier Tennis League (IPTL) was held in Mall of Asia Arena
Pasay, Metropolitan Manla, Philippines. On November 30,The Mavericks earned their first victory in franchise history with a 27–19 home win over the Singapore Slammers.
- September 19 – October 4: The Philippines participated in the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea from September 19 to October 4, 2014. For the first time since Bangkok in 1998, the country produced only one gold medal in the history of the country's participation in the games. Daniel Caluag, a Filipino Olympian in London 2012 Games, saved the Philippine team from the gold medal drought by winning first place in the BMX cycling. This is also the Philippine's first gold medal in cycling in the entire history of Asian Games.
- February 7–23: The Philippines competed at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. The team consists of one athlete in figure skating. The country competed at the Winter Olympics for the first time in 22 years and fourth time overall.
- August 24: Luis Gabriel Moreno, grandson of German Moreno delivered the first medal for the Philippines in the 2014 Youth Olympic Games held in Nanjing, China. Moreno together with China's Li Jiaman won the gold in the archery mixed team event.
- May 4–10: 2014 Palarong Pambansa, the 57th edition of the multi-sports competition for the youth athletes was held at Laguna Sports Complex, Sta. Cruz, Laguna; other sporting events were also held in Pila and Los Baños. Laguna Governor E.R. Ejercito, Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada, and prominent athletes led the opening ceremonies at the second day of the games. It was followed by the unveiling of the 26-foot-tall statue of Jose Rizal as an eskrima swordsman, the tallest monument of Rizal in the world. Zeanne Faith Cabrera of the Calabarzon delegation won the first gold medal of the competition after she ruled the girls javelin throw event, Approximately more than 11,000 participants and 1,000 trainers, coaches and sports officials from 17 regions joined the event. The competition ended with the National Capital Region team proclaimed as the over-all champion. The host region CALABARZON settled at second place.
Philippine National Games
- May 16–24: More than 7,000 athletes joined the 4th Philippine National Games, organized by the Philippine Sports Commission held at the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex, Manila. The games will be the preparation stage of the PH delegation for the 2014 Asian Games in Korea.
Cagayan Friendship Games
- June 22–30: The 2014 Alvaro A. Antonio Friendship Basketball & Volleyball Games was commenced at the People's Gym in Tuguegarao, Cagayan.
Asian Beach Games
- March 19: De La Salle University was hailed as the general champions of the UAAP Season 76 on its culmination ceremonies held at the Century Hotel Ballroom, Pasay City. La Salle chess player Jan Jodilyn Fronda and FEU women's basketball team player Camille Sambile named as the Senior's Athletes of the Year of the season.
- June 28: The 90th season of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (Philippines) (NCAA) with the theme "Today's Heroes, Tomorrow's Legends. NCAA@90: We Make History" was commenced at the Mall of Asia Arena.
- July 12: The colorful season kick-off of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Season 77 with the season theme "Unity in Excellence" was held at the Smart Araneta Coliseum. University of the East will be the host university for the whole season.
- June 1: Alaska World Milk Day Family Run was held at the Bonifacio Global City in Taguig.
- July 20: The second installment of "Botak at Kadla ni Pidol 2014" fun run was held at the Quirino Grandstand in Manila, in commemoration of the 2nd death anniversary of comedian Dolphy Quizon.
- August 3: 2014 Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines will be held in Cebu.
- March 2: Genesis Servania won the WBO Intercontinental Junior Featherweight Championship after defeating Alexander Muñoz of Venezuela at the end of the 12 round of the Pinoy Pride XXIV main event held at the Solaire Resort & Casino in Parañaque City. Albert Pagara also won against Isack Junior of Indonesia in the undercard event; while Arthur Villanueva lost to Fernando Aguilar of Mexico, also in the undercard event.
- March 31: Filipino-Hawaiian boxer Brian Viloria won via unanimous decision on his comeback fight against Puerto Rican boxer Juan Herrera at the Texas Station Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- April 12: In a unanimous decision, Manny Pacquiao defeated Timothy Bradley in a boxing rematch held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Paradise, Nevada, United States. Being a championship match, Pacquiao also regained the WBO Welterweight title against Bradley.
- May 3: Despite being overweight by 5 pounds over the 108-pound limit in the official weigh-in & losing his IBF light flyweight belt, Johnriel Casimero won via technical knockout in the 1st round against Colombian Boxer Mauricio Fuentes in the main event of "Pinoy Knockout" held at the Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino in Cebu City.
- May 11: Donnie Nietes defeats Mexican boxer Moises Fuentes in a 9th-round technical knockout on their rematch fight held at the Mall of Asia Arena, Pasay City. Rey Bautista also won against Sergio Villanueva of Mexico in the undercard event; while Milan Melindo won against Martin Tecuapetla of Mexico, also in the undercard event.
- May 31: Nonito Donaire, Jr. defeated South African boxer Simpiwe Vetyeka and proclaimed as the new titleholder of IBF featherweight championship belt via 4th round fight stopping and unanimous technical decision in the main fight at the Cotai Arena in Macau, China SAR.
- June 22: Jason Pagara defeats Mexican boxer Mario Meraz in a 4th-round technical knockout in the main event held at the Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino in Cebu City. Albert Pagara also won against Hugo Partida of Mexico in the 1st-round TKO while AJ Banal won via 2nd Round TKO against Indonesian Boxer Defry Palulu.
- July 19: Filipino-Hawaiian boxer Brian Viloria won via 5th-round knockout on his fight against Mexican boxer Jose Alfredo Zuniga at the CotaiArena in Macau, China.
- October 19: Nonito Donaire made the first defense of his WBA (Super) Featherweight Championship against undefeated Jamaican, WBA (Regular) Featherweight Champion Nicholas Walters. The fight took place in Carson, California. Donaire lost to Walters by TKO in the 6th round.
- November 23: Manny Pacquiao is scheduled to fight against undefeated American boxer Christopher Algieri. The WBO Welterweight title fight will be held at the CotaiArena in Macau, China SAR. Pacquiao defeated Algieri in a unanimous decision to retain the World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title in 12th round.
- May 21: Filipino chess grand master Wesley So hailed as the champion of the Capablanca Memorial Chess Open 2014 held in Havana, Cuba.
- February 1–16: Ronda Pilipinas International 2014's first of all the sixteen stages was held at the Quezon City Memorial Circle. It ended with Reimon Lapaza declared as the winner. Peter Pouly ended as the runner-up, while Mark Galedo ranked third place.
- April 21–24: The 5th Le Tour de Filipinas bikeathon, organized by the Lina Group (Air 21 and UBE Media) was officially started at the Clark Field, Pampanga to Olongapo, Zambales, other following routes are Olongapo to Cabanatuan, Cabanatuan to Bayombong and Bayombong to Baguio. The 610.6 kilometer international cycling race is sanctioned by the Union Cycliste Internationale. It ended with Mark Galedo declared as the winner of the bikeathon. Galedo was the 2nd Filipino to win in the competition.
- May 16–18: Alaska Cycle Philippines was held at the Bonifacio Global City in Taguig.
- June 14: The Cobra Philippine Dragon Boat Federation Team won two gold medals for the 100-meter mixed standard boat and 500-meter mixed standard boat categories in the recently concluded International Dragon Boat Federation (IDBF) World Cup in Fuzhou, China. PDBF Team also have one silver medal and one bronze medals.
- February 13–14: On February 13, Michael Christian Martinez competed in the figure skating short program event at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia scoring 64.81 points making him advance to the free skate program. By February 14, Martinez scored 119.44 points in the free skating program. He placed 19th place overall with the score of 184.25 total points. Martinez was the lone Filipino athlete competing in the Olympics, and the first Southeast Asian to compete in the figure skating event.
- April 6: Olympian figure skater Michael Martinez won the Triglav Trophy International Figure Skating Tournament of the senior's division in Jesenice, Slovenia.
- April 11: With eight strokes and a total of 301 shots, Japanese young golfer Gen Nagai was proclaimed the winner of the 2014 Philippine Junior Amateur Golf Championship held in Trece Martires, Cavite.
- May 15–18: The 2014 Philippine Open, organized by the MVP Sports Foundation was held at the Wack-Wack Golf & Country Club. Several Asian Tour champions including former champion Angelo Que joined the tournament. Australian guest golfer and one-time Asian Tour champion Marcus Both, won this year's tournament.
Mixed martial arts
- March 1: Team Lakay Mark Eddiva won against Featherweight Jumabieke Tuerxun via unanimous decision in the Preliminary Card of The Ultimate Fighter China Finale in Macau, China.
- May 2: One Fighting Championship 15: Rise of Heroes was held at the SM Mall of Asia Arena. Filipino-American boxer Ana Julaton won against Aya Saber via 2nd-round technical knockout on her first fight inside the cage of ONE FC. Team Lakay's Edward Folayang also won the co-main event against Kotetsu Boku via unanimous decision. In the main event, Bibiano Fernandes scores a unanimous decision winning on the main fight of ONE FC 15 against Masakatsu Ueda.
- May 31:
- Filipino-American MMA artist Mark Muñoz suffered a loss to light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi due to rear naked choke in the 1st round of their main event of UFC Fight Night 41 in Berlin, Germany.
- MMA artist Mark Eddiva suffered a loss to Featherweight Kevin Souza due to Technical Knockout in the 2nd round of the Preliminary Card of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil Finale in São Paulo, Brazil.
- June 12: Mark Muñoz's new four-fight contract with UFC was announced.
- February 21–22: The first Asian Surfing Championship was held at the Urbiztondo beach in San Juan, La Union.
- February 26:
- The NLEX Road Warriors achieved their 5th title of the PBA D-League after their winning against Big Chill Super Chargers in Game 2 of the 2014 PBA D-League Aspirants Cup Finals, 88–70.
- The San Mig Super Coffee Mixers were crowned as the champions of the 2013–14 PBA Philippine Cup after beating Rain or Shine Elasto Painters in the Game 6 of the finals series, 93–87. Mark Barroca was crowned as the Finals MVP.
- March 5: The opening of the 2014 PBA Commissioner's Cup, the second conference of the 2013-14 PBA season. The tournament allowed teams to hire foreign players or imports with a height limit of 6'11 for the bottom two of the last conference, and a limit of 6'9 for other teams.
- March 24–29: A charity 5-day non-stop basketball marathon held in the Meralco Gym in Pasig City for the victims of Typhoon Yolanda was recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the Longest Basketball Game beaten the record of the Missouri Athletic Club last 2012. Team Bounce Back won the game against Team Walang Iwanan, 16,783–16,732.
- April 4–6: The 2014 PBA All-Star Weekend was held at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City. Rey Guevara of Meralco Bolts and Justin Melton of San Mig Super Coffee Mixers tied as champions of the Slam-Dunk contest. Gilas Pilipinas won their exhibition game against PBA All-Star Selection, 101–93. Gary David, currently played for Meralco Bolts was the game's Most Valuable Player.
- May 16: The San Mig Super Coffee Mixers beat the Talk N' Text Tropang Texters as the team proclaimed as champions of the 2014 PBA Commissioner's Cup and gave their 3rd straight titles on the game 4 the Finals series held at the PhilSports Arena, 100–91. James Yap named as the Finals MVP with an average of 11.5 points in the whole series.
- May 18: The 2014 PLDT Home Telpad PBA Governor's Cup, will be the third and last conference of the 2013-14 PBA season. The conference will start on May 18 and is expected to end in the last week of June 2014 to give way for the preparations of the Gilas Pilipinas for the 2014 FIBA World Cup.
- June 2: The NLEX Road Warriors achieved their 6th title of the PBA D-League after their winning against Blackwater Sports in Game 2 of the 2014 PBA D-League Foundation Cup Finals, 81–78.
- June 21: Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Love was visited the country for the 2014 Master GameFace Challenge. Team Chris, headed by Chris Tiu dominated the three-point-shootout challenge and the all star game against Team Marc of Marc Pingris. The event was held at the Smart Araneta Coliseum and organized by a facial cleanser brand. Team Chris won the game, 135–110, Greg Slaughter named as the MVP.
- July 4–6: Toronto Raptors player DeMar DeRozan was visited the Philippines for the NBA 3X event held at SM Mall of Asia Music Hall.
- July 8: The AFP Cavaliers bagged the championship title of Season 2 of UNTV Cup after they won against PNP Responders in the Game 3 of the Finals series at Smart Araneta Coliseum, Quezon City, 74–73. AFP won the P1.5 million cash prize for their chosen beneficiary.
- July 9: The San Mig Super Coffee Mixers were crowned as the Grand Slam champions of the 2014 PBA Governors' Cup after beating Rain or Shine Elasto Painters in the Game 5 of the finals series, 92–89. James Yap was crowned as the Finals MVP.
- July 11–19 The 2014 FIBA Asia Cup will be held in various locations in Wuhan, China. Gilas Pilipinas national basketball team, grouped under Group B.
- July 18: Gilas Pilipinas lost their semi-finals match against the national basketball team, Iran in the 2014 FIBA Asia Cup, 76–55.
- July 19: Gilas Pilipinas thru one of their players, Paul Dalistan, ended their campaign at the 2014 FIBA Asia Cup after a sudden won against to China, 80–79 in their Third place match.
- July 19–20: The FIBA 3x3 World Tour was hosted by manila will be held at the SM Megamall Fashion Hall in Mandaluyong City.
- August 8–16: The 2014 FIBA Under-17 World Championship will be held in various locations in United Arab Emirates.
- August 24: The 2014 PBA Rookie Draft was held at the Robinson's Place Manila. GlobalPort Batang Pier picked Stanley Pringle as the #1 overall draft pick. Manny Pacquiao is the first round pick for Kia Sorento.
- September 4: Gilas Pilipinas claims their first win in the FIBA World Cup in four decades against Senegal in overtime, 81–79. Filipino fans and Malacanang Palace congratulates Gilas after their successful end of their campaign.
- September 22: EAC Generals and Mapua Cardinals are involved in a bench-clearing brawl in the final seconds of their game of the NCAA eliminations held at the San Juan Arena. The NCAA management formally suspends EAC and MIT players including John Tayongtong (5 game suspension) and referees after the incident
- October 15: The NU Bulldogs were crowned as the season 77 Basketball champions of the UAAP Season 77 basketball tournaments after beating FEU Tamaraws in the Game 3 of the finals series, 75–59. and also breaking its 60-year title drought. Alfred Aroga was crowned as the Finals MVP.
- October 19: The opening ceremonies and opening games of the 2014–15 PBA Philippine Cup was held at the Philippine Arena, Bocaue, Bulacan. 12 tournament teams will compete in this year's conference.
- November 5: Allen Iverson, together with Eddy Curry and the Ballhog Squad will play against PBA legends, UAAP & NCAA players in "All In" charity basketball game to be held at the Mall of Asia Arena.
- November 8: The inaugural season of the Pinay Ballers League (PIBALeague), a new professional basketball league for women was commenced thru an opening ceremonies at the Rizal Memorial Stadium.
- January 11: The fifth season of the United Football League kicked off with 21 participating teams from two divisions.
- April 7: The Philippine girl's Street Child World Cup team placed second in the said sporting event. The team was defeated by Brazil in the finals.
- April 27: The Philippine Azkals faced the Malaysian Tigers in a FIFA-sanction international friendly game in Cebu City Sports Complex. The match was for the preparations of the national football team for the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup. The match ended in a scoreless draw.
- May 20–31: The 2014 AFC Challenge Cup was held in Maldives. Philippine Azkals national football team was grouped under Group B.
- May 28: Azkals won their semi-finals match against the national football team of host country, Maldives in the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup, 3–2. Finals first-timers Azkals will face Palestine in the finals match for the spot of the 2015 AFC Asian Cup in Australia on May 30.
- May 31: Azkals ended their campaign at the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup after a sudden loss to Palestine, 1–0 in their finals match.
- June 8: The inaugural staging of the PFF's Women's Cup, organized by the Philippine Football Federation to be held at The Turf, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City. Similar to the UFL, the PFF's Women's Cup will several football clubs featuring women's football players from the UAAP and the Malditas Philippine national football team.
- June 15: The Philippine women's U14 team achieved second place at the AFC U14 Girls Championship for Southeast Asia only losing to Thailand in the finals with the score 1–2. The team also won the Fair Play Award and midfielder Joyce Demacio was declared most valuable player of the tournament.
- November 22 – December 20: 2014 AFF Suzuki Cup was held in Singapore and Vietnam. The Azkals reached its third consecutive semi-finals but failed its bid to reach the final.
- April 5–6: The Asian V8 Championship was held in Clark International Speedway.
- May 24: The 2014 Toyota Vios Cup was held in Clark International Speedway, Pampanga. 30 race car drivers including celebrities Rhian Ramos, Phoemela Baranda, Sam YG, Fabio Ide, Solar Sports Desk's Jinno Rufino and Radyo Inquirer anchor Ira Panganiban competed in the race. Jason Choachoy and Allan Uy emerged as the champion and the first place, respectably.
- June 7–8: The Second Leg of the Asian V8 Championship was held in Rosario Racing Circuit in Batangas.
- March 4: Inaugural open of the Philippine Polo Open 2014 at the Globalport Field in Calatagan, Batangas. Six teams are competing in the said sporting event.
- March 15: The Ateneo de Manila University's (ADMU) Ateneo Lady Eagles won their first championship title in the season 76 of the UAAP Women's Volleyball Tournament against De La Salle University's (DLSU) De La Salle Lady Spikers in three straight sets: 25–23, 26–24, and 25–21. Alyssa Valdez, now on her third UAAP year in ADMU, was named as the season's MVP, best scorer, best server, and the finals' MVP of the season.
- April 2: The Philippine Super Liga 1st player draft was held at the NBA Cafe, SM Aura Premier, Taguig City. Former NU Lady Bulldogs star spiker Dindin Santiago was the 1st overall pick of the draft. Santiago will be played for Petron. Graduating La Salle Lady Spikers team captain Abigail Maraño picked by AirAsia Zest, the newest franchise of the league as the 2nd overall pick. AirAsia Zest will be headed by 16-year champion coach of La Salle, Ramil de Jesus.
- April 8: The 8-day 2014 Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship in Manila officially started at the SM Mall of Asia Arena.
- April 16: Vatin Varamin-Iran men's volleyball team defended their championship title in the 2014 Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship after they beaten Al-Rayyan Qatar in the championship match, 19–25, 25–17, 26–24, 25–16. PLDT Home FIBR Power Pinoys ended in the 7th place.
- May 16: The opening ceremonies and opening games of the 2014 Philippine Super Liga All-Filipino Conference was held at the Cuneta Astrodome, Pasay City. 7 women's tournament teams and 5 men's tournament team will compete in this year's conference.
- May 18: NU Lady Bulldogs and Petron Blaze Spikers player Dindin Santiago won her second MVP award in the recently concluded Awards ceremony of the Shakey's V-League's Season 11 First Conference.
- May 25: The FEU Lady Tamaraws won their first-ever title of the Shakey's V-League after they beaten the NU Lady Bulldogs on a 3-straight set finals match of Season 11 First COnference held at the San Juan Arena, 25–21, 25–23, 25–18. Former FEU team captain and guest player Rachel Anne Daquis, who will settle to play for Generika-Army Lady Troopers, together with co-guest player Jovelyn Gonzaga on the Philippine Super Liga named as the Finals MVP.
- July 26: The Generika-Army Lady Troopers won their third straight title of the Philippine Super Liga after they beaten the RC Cola Air Force Raiders on a 3-straight set finals match of The 2014 PSL All-Filipino Conference held at Cuneta Astrodome, 25–22, 25–19, 25–16. Veteran Tina Salak named as the MVP of the conference. PLDT Home TVolution-Air Force won their second straight championship in the Men's Division.
- September 8–9: 70 volleybelles attended the 2-day National Women's Volleyball tryout for the 2015 Southeast Asian Games at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium.
- May 3: De La Salle University spikers Kim Fajardo and Ara Galang emerged as the newest titleholders of the 17th Nestea Beach Volleyball Tournament held at Boracay, Aklan after beating the Adamson University team (Shiela Pineda and Amanda Villanueva), 15–21, 21–14, 17–15.
- February 23: Ely Capacio (born 1954), 58, former Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) player and coach, ruptured aneurysm.
- March 31: Bryan Gahol (born 1977), 36, former PBA player, vehicular accident.
- April 5: Rodolfo Lordan Jr. (born circa 1984–1985), 29, billiards player, sudden unexpected death syndrome.
- April 14: Jesus T. Tanchanco Sr., (born circa 1925–1926), 83, former National Food Authority (NFA) administrator and former UE Red Warriors team manager, cardiac arrest.
- May 13: Anthony Villanueva, (born 1945), 69, boxer and first Olympic silver medalist for the Philippines, heart failure.
- June 12: Ferdinand "Enzo" Pastor, Jr., (born circa 1981–1982), 32, Asian V8 race champion, shot dead.
- August 29: Kurt Bachmann, (born 1936), 78, former basketball player who competed in the 1960 Summer Olympics.
- November 4: Nikki Tabafunda, (born circa 1991–1992), 23, Lyceum Pirates setter, tonsilitis.
- December 3: Isabelo "Bong" Hilario, Filipino car racer & 2013 Honda Master Trans Sports Competition Champion, gunshot wound.
- Dennis Gasgonia (January 16, 2014). "ABS-CBN launches new sports channel". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Rowena Tan (January 17, 2014). "ABS-CBN launches Sports+Action". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on January 17, 2014. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- "ABS-CBN Sports+Action, All New Sports Destination For Kapamilya Sports Fans". ABS-CBN Corporation. January 18, 2014. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Kim Luces (February 7, 2014). "Pinoy eco-cars go head-to-head vs. 108 rivals in Shell Eco Marathon Asia". GMA News. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- "PBA adds three new teams". ABS-CBN News. April 10, 2014. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- "A look inside the world's first NBA Cafe in PH". ABS-CBN News. April 26, 2014. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- "Manny Pangilinan eyes stake in LA Clippers after NBA ban on owner Sterling". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. April 30, 2014. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- "Philippine Azkals rise in FIFA rankings". ABS-CBN News. May 10, 2014. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- "Ambassadors Cup set to launch". Soccer Central. May 9, 2014. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- "UAAP board recommends stop to recruitment of foreign players starting in 2015". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. May 13, 2014. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "UST to host 'korfball' national conference". ABS-CBN News. May 9, 2014. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- "Senate grants Filipino citizenship to NBA center Andray Blatche". Philippine Daily Inquirer. May 26, 2014. Retrieved May 27, 2014.
- "Andy Jao appointed UAAP Season 77 Commissioner". Rappler. May 30, 2014. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "Pinoy greats hailed in 'Pagpupugay'". Philippine Star. May 28, 2014. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Vietnam, Philippines turn to sports in Spratlys". Cortez Journal. June 8, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "It's official: Manny Pacquiao will be head coach of Kia Motors in PBA debut next season". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. June 9, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "PHL loses chess whiz Wesley So to the US". GMA News. June 10, 2014. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- "QC police form special team to focus on Enzo Pastor case". Coconot Manila. June 19, 2014. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "PBA player turned TV analyst Jason Webb joins Tim Cone in San Mig staff as assistant". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. June 18, 2014. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- "MVP says sorry, promises full refund for Last Home Stand tickets". Rivals Sports Network. July 23, 2014. Retrieved July 28, 2014.
- "Former PSC Chairman Juico is new Patafa president". Manila Times. July 25, 2014. Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- "Azkals star Stephan Schrock 'resigns' from national team duty". InterAkyson. August 4, 2014. Archived from the original on August 6, 2014. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- Pöhlmann, Florian (August 2, 2014). "Schröck: "Ich musste jetzt Rückgrat zeigen"". Nürnberger Zeitung (in German). Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- "Daniel Padilla thumbs down PBA D-League stint". Philippine Star. September 15, 2014. Retrieved September 15, 2014.
- "Schedule". International Premier Tennis League. Archived from the original on November 23, 2014. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Day 3 Match 6 – Report: Manila Mavericks vs. DBS Singapore Slammers" (PDF). International Premier Tennis League. November 30, 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 12, 2014. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Noguera, Emil (January 29, 2014). "Teener lone Philippine entry in Sochi Winter Olympics". The Manila Times. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "Filipino archer Gabriel Moreno bags gold in Youth Olympic Games". Yahoo! Sports. August 24, 2014. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- Ina Malipot (May 5, 2014). "2014 Palarong Pambansa kicks off". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- Marc Anthony Reyes (May 5, 2014). "Laguna athlete nails first Palaro gold". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- "DepEd finalizing details of 2014 Palarong Pambansa". Official Gazette. March 14, 2014. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- "Priority athletes kailangang magpakita ng maganda sa PNG" (in Tagalog). Pilipino Star Ngayon. May 14, 2014. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- "Woman Fide Master Fronda, Perlas Pilipinas star Sambile named UAAP Athletes of the Year". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. March 19, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Karlo Sacamos (April 10, 2014). "Former Crispa ace and Stags coach Bai Cristobal succeeds Joe Lipa as NCAA commissioner". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Naveen Ganglani (June 16, 2014). "NCAA Season 90 kicks off on June 28". Rappler. Retrieved June 16, 2014.
- Reuben Terrado (March 19, 2014). "Hosts UE Warriors to take on UP Maroons in July 12 opening game of UAAP season". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Reuel John F. Lumawag (June 4, 2014). "500 join World Milk Day". Sun.Star. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Botak at Kadla ni Pidol 2014 Race Results". Takbo.ph. June 20, 2014. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- Dennis Monterde (January 27, 2014). "8 Local Competitive Races to Check Out in 2014". Yahoo! News Philippines. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- Roy Luarca (March 3, 2014). "Closes in on world title crack after punishing Venezuelan". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- "Viloria marks return with win over Puerto Rican". ABS-CBN News. March 31, 2014. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- Kieran Mulvaney (April 13, 2014). "Pacquiao defeats Bradley to regain title". Las Vegas: Reuters. p. 2. Retrieved April 13, 2014.
- Edri Aznar (May 4, 2014). "Casimero KOs foe after losing in scales". Rappler. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- "Nietes TKOs foe to retain WBO title". ABS-CBN News. May 11, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "Donaire Jr defeats Vetyeka, wins featherweight title". Rappler. May 31, 2014. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "WATCH: Pagara brothers score KO wins". ABS-CBN News. June 22, 2014. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "Pagara Brothers, AJ Banal Get KO Wins in Cebu City". BoxingScene.com. June 21, 2014. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "Brian Viloria wins by knockout against Mexican in Macau". Yahoo Sports Philippines. July 19, 2014. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- "Donaire suffers KO loss against Walters". GMA News. October 19, 2014. Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- "Nov. 16, susunod na laban ni Pacquiao sa Macau, China – Arum" (in Tagalog). Bombo Radyo. May 14, 2014. Archived from the original on May 14, 2014. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "Pacquiao dominates Algieri to retain world title". GMA News. November 23, 2014. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- Roy Luarca (May 21, 2014). "Wesley So clinches Capablanca crown with a round to go". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved May 21, 2014.
- Joey Villar (February 2, 2014). "Kiwi off to flying start in Ronda Pilipinas". Philippine Star. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Joey villar (February 17, 2014). "Last stage a mere formality: Lapaza Ronda Pilipinas champ". The Philippine Star. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- June Navarro (March 21, 2014). "Le Tour de Filipinas hits road April 21". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Mike Myravite (April 24, 2014). "Galedo becomes second Filipino to win Le Tour de Filipinas". Rappler. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
- "Cyclists take over BGC to promote fun and health". Manila Standard Today. May 25, 2014. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "PH Team, nag-uwi ng 2 ginto mula sa Dragonboat World Cup sa China" (in Tagalog). DZMM. June 16, 2014. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- Dennis Gasgonia (February 14, 2014). "Michael Martinez advances to Sochi Olympics finals". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- "Will Martinez win Olympics medal?". Rappler. February 14, 2014. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- "Hanyu wins Japan's first men's figure skating gold at Winter Olympics". Agence France-Presse. Rappler. February 15, 2014. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- Beth Celis (February 12, 2014). "Michael Christian Martinez skates Feb. 13". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Ryan Songalia (April 7, 2014). "Martinez overcomes injuries to win gold at Triglav Trophy". Rappler. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Japan's Nagai wins Philippine Junior Amateur golfest by eight strokes". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. April 11, 2014. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- "PH Open: All eyes on Que". Manila Bulletin. May 10, 2014. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- "Invitee Marcus Both feels born again after winning Philippine Open at Wack Wack". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. May 18, 2014. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Carlo Pamintuan (March 1, 2014). "Team Lakay's Mark Eddiva scores first UFC victory". Yahoo! Sports Philippines. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Nissi Icasiano (May 3, 2014). "Filipino MMA fighters Folayang, Docyogen score ONE FC wins". Rappler. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "UFC Fight Night 41 results: Gegard Mousasi dominates, submits Mark Munoz". MMA Fighting. May 31, 2014. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Eddiva loses to Souza in The Ultimate Fighter Brazil finale". Rappler. June 1, 2014. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- Jesse Holland (June 12, 2014). "He's back! Mark Munoz inks four-fight UFC contract". mmamania.com.
- "La Union to host first Asian Surfing Championship contest in the PHL". GMA News. February 7, 2014. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- "NLEX puts away Big Chill to seize 5th PBA D-League title". Rappler. February 26, 2014. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "San Mig: Great blend, great champ". Philippine Star. February 27, 2014. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Nelson Beltran (March 2, 2014). "PBA commissioner's cup fires off Wednesday, Aces see crowded room at the top". The Philippine Star. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- Chris Lagunzad (February 22, 2014). "Meet the imports of the 2014 PBA Commissioner's Cup". Yahoo! Sports Philippines. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- Enzo Flojo (March 2, 2014). "PBA Commish Cup Import Lowdown: Lamizana and Butch". Rappler. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- "PH Basketball Marathon sets new Guinness record". Rappler. March 29, 2014. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Celest R. Flores (April 2, 2014). "Tickets for 2014 PBA All-Star weekend". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved April 5, 2014.
- Mei-lin Lozada (April 5, 2014). "Seldom-used Rey Guevarra says PBA All-Star performance wasn't meant to prove a point to his coaches". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- Renee Fopalan (April 6, 2014). "David shines as strong third quarter propels Gilas past All-Star selection". GMA News. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- Celest R. Flores (May 16, 2014). "San Mig Coffee Mixers halt Talk 'N Text to clinch 3rd straight PBA title". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "NLEX stays perfect, earns sixth D-League title at Blackwaters' expense; Alas named MVP". GMA News. June 2, 2014. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- Celest Flores (June 21, 2014). "Team Chris dominates Master Game Face Challenge". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "DeMar DeRozan to visit Manila for NBA 3X Philippines". GMA News. June 9, 2014. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- Randy Caluag (July 10, 2014). "AFP Cavaliers capture UNTV Cup title". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "San Mig Coffee Mixers win basketball grandslam". Solar News. July 9, 2014. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- Quinito Henson (June 7, 2014). "5th FIBA Asia Cup: Toroman to face Gilas in Wuhan". Philippine Star. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "Manila to host FIBA 3x3 World Tour". Philippine Star. June 25, 2014. Retrieved June 25, 2014.
- Levi Verora Jr. (August 7, 2014). "BATANG GILAS OPENS U-17 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BID AGAINST ANGOLA". Solar Sports Desk. Retrieved August 7, 2014.
- "GlobalPort selects Fil-Am Stanley Pringle first overall". GMA News. August 24, 2014. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- Josiah Albelda (September 4, 2014). "Gilas summons #PUSO to edge Senegal in OT thriller". Rivals. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- Ryan Songalia (September 23, 2014). "NCAA suspends most of EAC, Mapua rosters, 3 refs for brawl". Rappler. Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- Frank Calapre (October 18, 2014). "PBA 40th season unfolds today". The Manila Times. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- "Allen Iverson crosses over to PH in November for some 'inspiring' hoops action". Philippine Daily Inquirer. August 1, 2014. Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- "18-team Pinay Ballers League gets under way Nov. 8". Philippine Star. November 5, 2014. Retrieved February 9, 2015.
- Bob Guerrero (January 9, 2014). "UFL: Some thoughts going into the 2014 League". Yahoo! Sports Philippines. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- Levi Verora (April 7, 2014). "PH girls bow to Brazil in Street Child World Cup finals". Rappler. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "PH Azkals clash with Malaysia". Manila Bulletin. April 27, 2014. Retrieved April 27, 2014.
- "Azkals, Malaysia settle for another draw". ABS-CBN News. April 28, 2014. Retrieved April 28, 2014.
- "PH Azkals outlast Maldives to make AFC Challenge Cup finals". Philippine Daily Inquirer. May 28, 2014. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- "Azkals forced to settle for second place at 2014 AFC Challenge Cup". GMA News. May 31, 2014. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- Karlo Sacamos (May 31, 2014). "Chance for new Malditas discoveries as PFF launches maiden Women's Cup". Spin.ph. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Choachoy, Uy fastest in Vios Cup races". Philippine Daily Inquirer. May 27, 2014. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Asian V8 set in Batangas". Manila Bulletin. May 25, 2014. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Phl Polo Open fires off tomorrow at Calatagan". The Philippine Star. March 3, 2014. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- Mei-Lin Lozada (March 15, 2014). "Ateneo's giant killers complete dream run to first UAAP championship with rout of La Salle". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Petron selects NU's Santiago as No. 1 pick in PSL draft; AirAsia makes La Salle's Maraño No. 2". Solar Sports Desk. April 2, 2014. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- "Philippines to host 2014 Asian Men's Volleyball Club Championships". Fédération Internationale de Volleyball. January 13, 2014. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- Olmin Leyba (January 10, 2014). "Phl takes over hosting of Asian men's volley". The Philippine Star. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- Celest Flores (April 16, 2014). "Tenacious Iran frustrates Qatar to retain Asian Club volleyball crown". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "PSL All-Pinoy kick-off libre sa mga panatiko" (in Tagalog). Pilipino Star Ngayon. May 12, 2014. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- Mei-Lin Lozada (May 18, 2014). "National University star Dindin Santiago bags second V-League MVP award". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Mei-Lin Lozada (May 25, 2014). "Army duo provides firepower as FEU Lady Tamaraws ends 11-year wait for maiden V-League title". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- "Army wins third straight Philippine SuperLiga title". Rappler. July 26, 2014. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- Josiah Albelda (September 10, 2014). "Rachel Daquis reveals why she was absent in Day 1 of national team tryouts". Rivals. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- Levi Verora (May 3, 2014). "Nestea Beach finals: La Salle serves revenge to bag women's crown". Rappler. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- "Ely Capacio, former PBA player, coach, and official, passes away". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. February 23, 2014. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- Julliane Love De Jesus, Nestor Corrales (April 1, 2014). "Ex-PBA player Bryan Gahol dies in road mishap". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Earl Sebastian (April 21, 2014). "Phl snooker star Lordan dead at 29". The Philippine Star. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- "First NFA chief Jesus Tanchanco Sr. passes away". Solar News. April 15, 2014. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "Former UE Red Warriors team manager Jess Tanchanco dies age 83". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. April 16, 2014. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "First Filipino Olympic silver medalist Anthony Villanueva passes away at age 69". GMA News. May 13, 2014. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Filipino racer shot dead in Quezon City". Solar News. June 13, 2014. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "La Salle legend Kurt Bachmann dies at 78". ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs. September 1, 2014. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- "Gone too soon: Former Lyceum setter Nikki Tabafunda". Rivals.ph. February 15, 2015. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- "Another car racer shot dead". The Philippine Star. December 5, 2014. Retrieved December 5, 2014.