2014 in Romania
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Years in Romania:||2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
|Centuries:||20th century · 21st century · 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
This is a list of 2014 events that occurred in Romania.
- 1 Incumbents
- 2 Events
- 3 Deaths
- 4 References
- 6 January – Former Prime Minister of Romania, Adrian Năstase, is sentenced to four years imprisonment for bribe taking in the Zambaccian file. His wife, Dana Năstase, is also sentenced to three years imprisonment with suspension. Moreover, they are forced to pay damages of 700,000 euros.
- 15 January – The Constitutional Court unanimously decides that the changes to the Penal Code in "Black Tuesday" are unconstitutional.
- 20 January
- 23 January – Interior Minister Radu Stroe resigns after accusations of mismanagement of rescue operations for survivors of the Apuseni Mountains plane crash.
- 25 January – A snowstorm engulfs southern Romania, disrupting traffic on major national roads and killing at least 13 people. For the first time in the history of Romanian meteorology, authorities establish red code for blizzard and decree state of alert in three counties.
- 30 January – Former Transport Minister Relu Fenechiu is sentenced to five years imprisonment for corruption in the Transformer file.
- 6 February – Daniel Chițoiu resigns from functions of Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance.
- 25 February – Romania's ruling coalition collapses as PNL leaves Government and asks current Prime Minister Victor Ponta to resign.
- 4 March
- Crin Antonescu resigns as President of the Senate and demands the resignation of Prime Minister Victor Ponta.
- Gheorghe Popescu and seven others, among them Mihai Stoica, are convicted by a Romanian appeals court of money laundering and tax evasion in connection with the transfer of football players from Romania to other countries.
- 10 March – Law enforcers are attacked with stones and firecrackers during a meeting commemorating the Szeklers killed in 1854. The meeting takes place in Târgu Mureș and is attended by more than 4,000 people.
- 12 March – 102 house searches occur in 18 counties within the pale of Meat Mafia file. Hundreds of tons of meat are withdrawn from the market or destroyed.
- 14 March – After incidents in Târgu Mureș and displaced statements of Hungarian extremist leaders, Romanian authorities decide the interdiction of entry into the country of Hungarian citizens from four formations, including Jobbik.
- 5 April – Three dancers die burned alive and four other people are injured in a devastating fire at a restaurant in Constanța.
- 22 April – Four people are killed and two others are missing after days of heavy rainfall caused widespread flooding in the south of the country.
- 25 May – PSD-PC-UNPR alliance obtains 37.4% of votes in the European Parliament election, being followed by PNL with 14.86%, PDL with 12.23%, independent Mircea Diaconu with 6.92%, UDMR with 6.47% and PMP with 6.21%.
- 26 May
- 13 June – Romanian hacker Guccifer is indicted in absentia in a federal court in the U.S. state of Virginia for hacking into the e-mails of American government officials and family members.
- 16 June – Mugur Isărescu is unanimously advised by joint commissions of Budget, Finance-Banks in Parliament for a fifth term as governor of the National Bank of Romania.
- 18 June – After seven years of complicated investigations, the case of lawyer Elodia Ghinescu concludes. The main suspect of murder, her husband, policeman Cristian Cioacă, is sentenced to 15 years and eight months in prison and payment of 380,000 euros injury.
- 21 June – Authorities constitute a crisis cell inasmuch as over 1,000 Romanian tourists are stranded on the Bulgarian littoral, severely affected by floods and mudslides in recent days.
- 25 June – Both houses of the Romanian parliament widely adopt a joint statement urging President Traian Băsescu to resign, following corruption scandals involving his arrested brother's graft case and one of his sons-in-law's implication in a criminal investigation.
- 29 July – Two people die and several hundreds are forced to evacuate as surging floodwaters submerge villages in Oltenia.
- 8 August – Businessman Dan Voiculescu is sentenced to 10 years imprisonment for the fraudulent privatization of the Institute of Food Research, after which the state was prejudiced with 60 million euros.
- 21 August
- 27 August – Iași–Ungheni gas pipeline is inaugurated in the presence of prime ministers of Romania and Moldova. The pipeline will ensure Moldova's energy independence from Russia.
- 15 September
- A strong Mediterranean cyclone hits southwestern Romania, causing widespread flooding and leaving one man dead and two others missing.
- Romanian Ornithological Society announces that a population of sand boa (Eryx jaculus) was recently discovered in the Danube Valley, after 80 years since this species has not been seen alive in Romania.
- 8 October – Stefan W. Hell, a physicist of Romanian origin, receives the Nobel Prize in Chemistry "for the development of super-resolved fluorescence microscopy", together with Eric Betzig and William E. Moerner.
- 10 October – The first land-based U.S. missile shield opens in Deveselu, Olt County.
- 11 October – Over 60 people are injured in violences between the galleries of Romania and Hungary before the UEFA Euro 2016 qualifier between the two countries.
- 12 October – More than 10,000 people attend the March for Bessarabia in Bucharest, demanding the unification of Romania and Moldova.
- 21 October – The most powerful laser in Europe and the second worldwide, of one petawatt, is inaugurated at the National Institute for Laser, Plasma and Radiation Physics of Măgurele.
- 2 November – Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta, from the rulling Social Democratic Party, and the ethnic German mayor of Sibiu Klaus Iohannis, from the opposition Christian Liberal alliance, will face a 16 November runoff, with the incumbent Social Democratic premier favored to win.
- 16 November – Voters in Romania go to the polls for the second round of the presidential election with Klaus Iohannis scoring an upset victory over current Prime Minister Victor Ponta.
- 18 November – Teodor Meleșcanu becomes the second Foreign Minister of Romania in just eight days to resign because of organizational problems which have left thousands of Romanians abroad unable to vote in the elections.
- 21 November – A military helicopter crashes in Sibiu County, killing nine people on board.
- 22 November – A magnitude 5.7 earthquake strikes Vrancea County, causing light damage and power outages in epicentral area. Eight people in Galați and one in Tulcea were transported to hospital with minor injuries or panic attacks.
- 15 December – A medical helicopter belonging SMURD crashes into Lake Siutghiol, killing all four people on board. Prefect of Constanța County Radu Volcinschi is dismissed as a result of poor rescue operations.
- 17 December
- A GEO allowing politicians to switch between parties is declared by CCR unconstitutional. About 500 local elected migrated to PSD, under this Ordinance, before the presidential election.
- OMV Petrom and Hunt Oil Company discover the biggest oil and gas deposit in 30 years in the southern part of Buzău County.
- 21 December – President Klaus Iohannis takes oath of office in solemn session of the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies.
- 29 December – Russian group Gazprom cuts gas supplies to Romania by 30% of the contracted quantity.
- 1 January – Traian T. Coșovei, poet (b. 1954)
- 13 January – Mihai Fotino, actor (b. 1930)
- 20 January – Adrian Iovan, aviator (b. 1959)
- 26 January – Cicerone Ionițoiu, civic activist and memoirist (b. 1924)
- 30 January – Marioara Murărescu, producer of folklore programs (b. 1947)
- 3 February – Mircea Grosaru, representative of the Italian minority in the Romanian Parliament (b. 1952)
- 18 February – Ruxandra Sireteanu, actress (b. 1943)
- 24 February – Nicolae Herlea, baritone (b. 1927)
- 25 February – Emil Simon, conductor and composer (b. 1936)
- 11 March – Doru Tureanu, ice hockey player (b. 1954)
- 12 March – Florin Șlapac, writer, poet and translator (b. 1952)
- 13 March – Aureliu Manea, theater director, actor and writer (b. 1945)
- 15 March – Sorin Ioan, general and Chief of Staff of the Romanian Land Forces (b. 1954)
- 27 March – Augustin Deleanu, footballer (b. 1944)
- 3 April – Andrei Bodiu, poet (b. 1965)
- 4 April – Miruna Boruzescu, costume designer for theater and film (b. 1945)
- 8 April – Ghiţă Licu, Olympic handball player (b. 1945)
- 15 April – Nina Cassian, poet, essayist and translator (b. 1924)
- 25 April – Petre Bokor, theater director and writer (b. 1940)
- 27 April – George Astaloș, poet, novelist and playwright (b. 1933)
- 11 May – Margareta Pogonat, theater and film actress (b. 1933)
- 13 May – Mihail Grămescu, writer and member of the Writers' Union of Romania (b. 1951)
- 18 May – Radu Florescu, historian and professor at Boston College (b. 1925)
- 8 June – Veronica Lazăr, actress (b. 1938)
- 20 June – Florica Lavric, Olympic rower (b. 1962)
- 27 June – Nicolae Stroescu-Stînișoară, journalist, writer and director of the Romanian section of Radio Free Europe (b. 1925)
- 14 July – Vasile Zavoda, footballer (b. 1929)
- 20 July – Constantin Lucaci, sculptor and laureate of Herder Prize (b. 1923)
- 1 August – Szabolcs Cseh, stuntman and actor (b. 1942)
- 4 August – Ion Grosu, writer (b. 1939)
- 8 August – Aurel Cioranu, theater and film actor (b. 1929)
- 17 August – Dan Hăulică, literary essayist, art critic and corresponding member of the Romanian Academy (b. 1932)
- 19 August – Dinu Patriciu, politician and businessman (b. 1950)
- 20 August – Nicolae Balotă, essayist, critic, historian and literary theorist (b. 1925)
- 31 August – Ștefan Andrei, Communist politician and former Foreign Minister (b. 1931)
- 12 October – Florin Tudose, psychiatrist (b. 1952)
- 16 October – Emilia Pavel, ethnographer and ethnologist (b. 1925)
- 4 November – Eftimie Luca, archbishop (b. 1914)
- 16 November – Serge Moscovici, social psychologist (b. 1925)
- 3 December – Corneliu Fânățeanu, tenor (b. 1933)
- 8 December – Cătălin Chelu, businessman (b. 1967)
- 10 December – Gavril Creța, engineer and professor (b. 1923)
- 11 December – Șerban Orescu, journalist (b. 1925)
- 15 December – Nicolae Manea, football player and coach (b. 1954)
- 23 December – Cornel Diaconu, film director (b. 1949)
- 27 December – Vlad Hogea, publicist and politician (b. 1977)
- "Adrian Năstase a fost condamnat la 4 ANI de închisoare". Realitatea.net. 6 January 2014.
- Claudia Spridon; Mihai Stoica (6 January 2014). "Dosarul "Zambaccian". Adrian Năstase a fost condamnat la patru ani de închisoare. Acesta se întoarce după gratii". Adevărul.
- Cătălin Lupășteanu (6 January 2014). "Adrian Năstase, condamnat la PATRU ANI DE ÎNCHISOARE CU EXECUTARE. Dana Năstase – 3 ani cu suspendare". Gândul.
- "Adrian Năstase, CONDAMNAT DEFINITIV la 4 ani de închisoare cu executare în dosarul ZAMBACCIAN. Dana Năstase, 3 ani cu suspendare". Mediafax.ro. 6 January 2014.
- Alina Neagu (15 January 2014). "Curtea Constituțională a decis că modificările aduse Codului penal în "marțea neagră" sunt neconstituționale – unanimitate". HotNews.ro.
- Adrian Boioglu (20 January 2014). "Bilanțul accidentului de la Cernavodă: 6 morți, dintre care 3 copii. Șoferul era beat și nu avea permis de conducere". Adevărul.
- "FILMUL ACCIDENTULUI cu 6 morți de la Cernavodă. Șoferul vinovat nu avea permis și băuse înainte să urce la volan". Știrile PRO TV. 20 January 2014.
- "Tragedie aviatică, doi morți și cinci răniți. Filmul evenimentelor și marile semne de întrebare în accidentul care a dus la moartea celor plecați să salveze vieți". HotNews.ro. 21 January 2014.
- "Cine i-a omorât pe pilotul Iovan și pe studenta din avion. Filmul tragediei din Munții Apuseni: la ora 16.16 se primește apelul la 112, la ora 21.00 un pădurar ajunge la victime, înaintea autorităților". Gândul. 21 January 2014.
- "ACCIDENT AVIATIC. Mărturii din AVIONUL PRĂBUȘIT". Realitatea.net. 21 January 2014.
- "RADU STROE își dă DEMISIA "DE ONOARE", dar pasează răspunderea ACCIDENTULUI AVIATIC altor instituții". Realitatea.net. 23 January 2014.
- Thomas Dincă (23 January 2014). "Stroe: Mi-am depus demisia în semn de onoare. Plecarea mea, un fapt de normalitate într-o țară democratică. Ponta: Vom propune un nou ministru în jur de 1 februarie". Mediafax.ro.
- "A1, A2, A3 și 33 de drumuri naționale rămân închise. Poliția, Jandarmeria și Armata, mobilizate". Știrile TVR. 25 January 2014.
- "Bilanțul IADULUI ALB din România: 13 morți în ultimele trei zile, din cauza viscolului și a zăpezii". Jurnalul Național. 27 January 2014.
- "COD ROȘU DE NINSOARE ȘI VISCOL pentru prima oară în ROMÂNIA. Sunt vizate trei județe". Realitatea.net. 26 January 2014.
- R.M. (27 January 2014). "Guvernul instituie stare de alertă în județele Buzău, Vrancea și Brăila". HotNews.ro.
- Cătălin Lupășteanu (30 January 2014). "Relu Fenechiu, condamnat definitiv la 5 ani de închisoare CU EXECUTARE. El s-a predat Poliției Județene Iași". Mediafax.ro.
- "DANIEL CHIȚOIU A DEMISIONAT din funcția de ministru de Finanțe". Realitatea.net. 6 February 2014.
- "Vicepremierul Daniel Chițoiu a demisionat din Guvern. Începe un nou război între PNL și PSD". Știrile PRO TV. 6 February 2014.
- Matthias Williams; Radu Marinaș (26 February 2014). "Reforms, presidential vote in focus after Romania coalition splits". Business Insider.
- Luiza Ilie; Andrew Roche (25 February 2014). "Romania's ruling coalition ruptures as elections loom". Chicago Tribune.
- Alexandra Vlădescu; Adelina Dragomir; Valentina Postelnicu (4 March 2014). "Crin Antonescu A DEMISIONAT din funcția de președinte al Senatului și cere DEMISIA lui Ponta. Ponta, despre demisia lui Antonescu: S-a sinucis!". Mediafax.ro.
- "CRIN ANTONESCU și-a dat DEMISIA din fruntea SENATULUI". Realitatea.net. 4 March 2014.
- "The Transfers case file. Gică Popescu, favorite at taking over the leadership of the Romanian Football Federation, convicted. Heavy penalties for the rest of the defendants". Antena 3. 5 March 2014.
- Tom Sheen (4 March 2014). "Ex-Tottenham and Barcelona star Popescu sentenced to three years in prison for money laundering and tax evasion". Daily Mail.
- "Former Romanian football club owners, managers, sentenced to jail without parole for tax evasion, money laundry; decision is final". Romania-Insider.com. 4 March 2014.
- Ela Giurgea (10 March 2014). "Mai mulți extremiști maghiari s-au îmbrâncit cu jandarmii la Târgu Mureș". Gândul.
- "Scandal la mitingul de la Tg. Mureș. 4.000 de maghiari au participat la manifestarea CNS. Președintele Partidului Jobbik, printre participanți". România Liberă. 10 March 2014.
- "DOSARUL MAFIA CĂRNII. Sute de tone de carne au fost retrase de pe piață sau distruse. Paguba se ridică la 15 milioane de euro". Știrile PRO TV. 12 March 2014.
- "ROMÂNIA INTERZICE intrarea pe teritoriul ţării a unor EXTREMIŞTI MAGHIARI". Realitatea.net. 14 March 2014.
- Valentin Anghel (14 March 2014). "MAI: S-a decis INTERZICEREA intrării în ţară a unor cetăţeni ungari din Jobbik şi alte trei formaţiuni". Mediafax.ro.
- "TRAGEDIE la Constanţa: TREI DANSATOARE au murit ARSE DE VII". Realitatea.net. 6 April 2014.
- Cătălin Legănel (6 April 2014). "Trei tinere au ars de vii într-un incendiu puternic care a cuprins un restaurant din Constanţa. Alte patru persoane au ajuns la spital cu arsuri". Gândul.
- "Bilanț al inundațiilor: Patru morți, doi dispăruți, zeci de localități inundate". Știrile TVR. 22 April 2014.
- Alina Boghiceanu (26 May 2014). "Rezultate europarlamentare 2014: Numărătoarea BEC coboară PSD la 37,4%". Adevărul.
- "REZULTATE ALEGERI EUROPARLAMENTARE 2014. BEC publică rezultate oficiale parţiale. PSD a obţinut 37,40%". Gândul. 26 May 2014.
- Sorina Ionaşc (26 May 2014). "REZULTATE ALEGERI EUROPARLAMENTARE 2014. Antonescu şi-a depus oficial demisia de la şefia PNL. Congres extraordinar în iunie". Gândul.
- Andra Dumitru; Romulus Georgescu (26 May 2014). "Cutremur în PNL după eșecul electoral: Crin Antonescu a demisionat". România Liberă.
- "PNL a decis aderarea la GRUPUL POPULARILOR EUROPENI". Realitatea.net. 26 May 2014.
- "'Guccifer' hacker indicted after George H W Bush's personal email targeted". The Telegraph. 13 June 2014.
- "Mugur Isărescu, la al cincilea mandat ca guvernator al BNR. Ce obiectiv și-a stabilit pentru aderarea la zona euro". Știrile PRO TV. 16 June 2014.
- Dan Străuț; Adina Vlad (16 June 2014). "Parlamentul a votat viitoarea conducere a BNR. Isărescu, ales pentru al cincilea mandat de guvernator. Voinea - viceguvernator, Cristian Popa - respins". Adevărul.
- "CRISTIAN CIOACĂ, condamnat la 15 ani și 8 luni de închisoare". Realitatea.net. 18 June 2014.
- "Cristian Cioacă, încarcerat la Penitenciarul Colibași. În câți ani ar putea fi liber după condamnarea definitivă primită azi". Știrile PRO TV. 18 June 2014.
- "Catastrofă în Bulgaria. Imaginile coșmarului trăit în concediu de 1.000 de români. Mai multe hoteluri au fost grav avariate". Știrile PRO TV. 21 June 2014.
- Cătălina Mihai (21 June 2014). "MAE: 1.000 de români se află în zona afectată de inundații din Bulgaria. Nu există cetățeni români printre victime. Grup de lucru, constituit la Guvern". Mediafax.ro.
- Mădălina Mihalache; Alina Boghiceanu (25 June 2014). "Parlamentul a adoptat declarația prin care cere demisia lui Băsescu. UDMR s-a abținut. Ponta: Astăzi a existat USL". Adevărul.
- "Hundreds Evacuated, 3 Dead in East Europe Floods". ABC News. 29 July 2014.
- "România lovită de viitură: COD ROȘU de inundații. Zeci de localități afectate. Doi morți. HARTA zonelor cu probleme". Gândul. 29 July 2014.
- Claudia Spridon; Andrei Aștefănesei; Radu Eremia (29 July 2014). "Cod roșu de inundații în Oltenia. Doi bărbați au murit, un tren a deraiat din cauza viiturilor". Adevărul.
- Biro Attila (8 August 2014). "Dan Voiculescu, condamnat la 10 ani de închisoare. SENTINȚA în DOSARUL ANULUI". Gândul.
- Mihaela Cojocariu (8 August 2014). "Dosarul „ICA". Dan Voiculescu a fost condamnat la 10 ani de închisoare cu executare. „Nu mă predau, aștept să vină să mă ia"". Adevărul.
- "DAN VOICULESCU A FOST CONDAMNAT LA 10 ANI DE ÎNCHISOARE CU EXECUTARE". Realitatea.net. 8 August 2014.
- "Romania, Hungary sign agreement on opening cross-border roads". Nine O'Clock. 21 August 2014.
- Alina Dan (26 August 2014). "ALERTĂ VETERINARĂ! A fost semnalat PRIMUL CAZ de BOALĂ A LIMBII ALBASTRE în România". Libertatea.
- "Victor Ponta și Iulie Leancă au inaugurat gazoductul Iași-Ungheni. Premierul R. Moldova: "Nu ne va mai amenința nimeni"". Știrile PRO TV. 27 August 2014.
- Iulian Tudor (16 September 2014). "PRĂPĂD DUPĂ INUNDAȚII în Mehedinți: Un mort, doi dispăruți și un versant prăbușit". România TV.
- "Revărsarea apelor: Un mort, doi dispăruți, gospodării inundate, străzi transformate în râuri". Știrile TVR. 15 September 2014.
- Laura Mitran (15 September 2014). "Cel mai rar șarpe din România, boa de nisip, a reapărut după 80 de ani". Mediafax.
- "The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2014" (PDF). Nobelprize.org. 8 October 2014.
- "US commissions 'crucial' NATO missile shield facility in Romania". RT. 10 October 2014.
- Steven Beardsley (9 October 2014). "Navy to commission missile defense base in Romania". Stars and Stripes.
- Ben Nagle (11 October 2014). "Flares, firecrackers and tear gas: Romania's bad-tempered draw with Hungary marred by brutal violence on and off the pitch". Daily Mail.
- "Police use tear gas at Romania-Hungary qualifier". The New Zealand Herald. 12 October 2014.
- "ROMÂNIA - UNGARIA 1-1. Incidente violente în tribune, mai mulți suporteri au fost răniți". Gândul (in Romanian). 11 October 2014.
- "Peste 10 mii de oameni au cerut la București unirea Basarabiei cu România". Moldova.org (in Romanian). 12 October 2014.
- Sorin Ghica; Andrei Aștefănesei (21 October 2014). "Cel mai puternic laser din Europa, lansat oficial pe platforma de la Măgurele". Adevărul (in Romanian).
- "România are cel mai puternic laser din Europa, la Măgurele. Vom putea fabrica acceleratoare pentru terapiile anticancer". Știrile Pro TV (in Romanian). 21 October 2014.
- "Romania Foreign Minister Melescanu resigns over vote row". BBC News. 18 November 2014.
- "Romania's top diplomat resigns after botched expatriate vote". Deutsche Welle. 18 November 2014.
- "Eight die in helicopter crash in Romania". Reuters. 21 November 2014.
- "Eight Romanian Soldiers Killed in Helicopter Crash". NBC News. 21 November 2014.
- "8 military dead, 2 injured in Romanian helicopter crash". Stars and Stripes. 21 November 2014.
- "CUTREMUR de 5,7 grade în Vrancea, urmat de PESTE 20 de REPLICI. Ce PAGUBE a produs seismul". Realitatea.net (in Romanian). 23 November 2014.
- Oana Cernat (23 November 2014). "Cutremurul a lăsat în beznă orașul Galați. Mai mulți oameni au suferit atacuri de panică". Adevărul (in Romanian).
- "Acuzații și controverse după prăbușirea elicopterului SMURD. Parchetul Militar a început o anchetă". Știrile TVR (in Romanian). 16 December 2014.
- "PREFECTUL de CONSTANȚA, DEMIS după TRAGEDIA de la SIUTGHIOL!". Libertatea (in Romanian). 17 December 2014.
- Andrei Luca Popescu; Otilia Ciocan (17 December 2014). "ORDONANȚA TRASEIȘTILOR, NECONSTITUȚIONALĂ. CCR pune Parlamentul să decidă ce se întâmplă cu mandatele aleșilor migratori". Gândul (in Romanian).
- Ioan Dornescu (17 December 2014). "Zăcământ de ţiţei şi gaze, descoperit în Buzău: "Poate fi cea mai mare descoperire din ultimii 30 de ani"". Mediafax.ro (in Romanian).
- "Gazprom a redus livrările de gaze către România cu 30%. Ministrul Energiei: „Este un mod de viaţă"". Gândul. 29 December 2014.