2014 in architecture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The year 2014 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.
- June 8 - November 23 - Venice Biennale of Architecture curated by Rem Koolhaas
- October 1 - 3 - The seventh World Architecture Festival in Singapore
- November 4 - Clatrava's Chicago Spire has been postponed its construction continuation.
- date unknown - Infinity Tower, the tallest building in Brisbane, is completed.
- November 11 - Dr Chau Chak Wing Building, University of Technology, Sydney, designed by Frank Gehry, is completed.
- September 18 - Aga Khan Museum in Toronto, opens.
- September 19 - Canadian Museum for Human Rights in Winnipeg, Manitoba, designed by Antoine Predock, opens.
- December 13 - Halifax Central Library in Halifax, Nova Scotia, designed by Fowler Bauld and schmidt hammer lassen architects, opens.
- July 21 - Philippine Arena, the world's largest indoor domed-arena, in Ciudad de Victoria, Bocaue and Santa Maria, Bulacan, is completed.
United Arab Emirates
- Dream Dubai Marina, supertall skyscraper in Dubai, projected for completion. If completed before World One will become the tallest residential building in the world upon completion.
- July - 122 Leadenhall Street in the City of London, designed by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners, completed.
- December 9 - University of Greenwich Stockwell Street Building, designed by heneghan peng architects (hparc), opened.
- Burntwood School, Wandsworth, London, designed by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, completed; awarded 2015 Stirling Prize.
- Everyman Theatre, Liverpool, designed by Haworth Tompkins, completed and awarded Stirling Prize.
- Maggie's palliative care centres opened in
- October 10 - 432 Park Avenue, the tallest residential buildings in the world is topped out.
- November 3 - One World Trade Center in New York City, designed by David Childs of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill with Daniel Libeskind, the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere, opens.
- One57, one of the tallest building in New York City becomes the tallest mixed-use (residential and hotel) skyscraper in the city.
- AIA Architecture Firm Award – Eskew+Dumez+Ripple
- AIA Gold Medal – Julia Morgan
- Emporis Skyscraper Award – Wangjing SOHO designed by Zaha Hadid
- Driehaus Architecture Prize for New Classical architecture – Pier Carlo Bontempi
- Lawrence Israel Prize - LOT-EK
- LEAF Award, Overall Winner – Ateliers Jean Nouvel and PTW Architects
- Praemium Imperiale Architecture Laureate – Steven Holl
- Pritzker Architecture Prize – Shigeru Ban
- Reed Award for classical architecture commitment - Ruan Yisan
- RAIA Gold Medal – Phil Harris and Adrian Welke
- RIBA Royal Gold Medal – Joseph Rykwert
- Stirling Prize - Haworth Tompkins for Everyman Theatre, Liverpool
- Thomas Jefferson Medal in Architecture – Toyo Ito
- Twenty-five Year Award by AIA – Harry Weese for Washington Metro
- UIA Gold Medal – Ieoh Ming Pei
- Vincent Scully Prize from National Building Museum – Charlie Rose
- January 10 - Kathryn Findlay, British-born architect working in Japan (b. 1953)
- February 25 - Heikki Siren, Finnish architect (b. 1918)
- March 20 - William Toomath, (b. 1925), New Zealand architect
- March 28
- April 24 - Hans Hollein, Austrian architect(b. 1934)
- April 28 - Frederic Schwartz, American architect, author and city planner (b. 1951)
- July 26 - Sir Richard MacCormac, British architect (b. 1938)
- August 18 - Kurt Meyer, Swiss-born architect working in the United States and Nepal (b. 1922)
- September 6 - Édith Girard, French architect (b. 1949)
- September 27 - Taylor Hardwick, American architect (b. 1925)
- December 24 - Ricardo Porro, Cuban architect working in France (b. 1925)
- "14th International Architecture Exhibition". Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Dr Chau Chak Wing Building". UTS. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- "University of Greenwich, Stockwell Street Building". RIBA Awards. Royal Institute of British Architects. 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-20.
- Woodman, Ellis (2014-09-09). "Maggie’s Lanarkshire by Reiach and Hall". Architects' Journal.
- "Maggies Lanarkshire". RIBA Awards. Royal Institute of British Architects. 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-20.
- "The architecture and design of Maggie's Oxford Centre". Maggie's. Retrieved 2015-03-16.
- "Professor Ruan Yisan gets Reed Award". University of Notre Dame School of Architecture. Retrieved 2014-04-05.
- "Architekt Hans Hollein gestorben". Frankfurter Rundshau. 2014-04-24.
- Colker, David (2014-08-28). "Kurt Meyer dies at 92; L.A. architect was committed to civic service". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2014-10-24.