August 2015 Baghdad bombing
|2015 Baghdad market truck bombing|
|Part of Iraqi Civil War|
|Location||Sadr City, Baghdad, Iraq|
|Date||13 August 2015|
|Mass murder, truck bomb|
|Deaths||At least 76|
|At least 212|
|Perpetrators||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL)|
On 13 August 2015, shortly after 06:00 local time (03:00 UTC), a bomb-packed refrigeration truck was detonated in Sadr City. As of 13 August 2015[update], at least 76 people were confirmed to have been killed in the bombing, with at least 212 more injured. The market in the Shi'ite neighborhood is one of the biggest in Baghdad selling wholesale food items. This incident caused much resent against the government for the continued terror attacks in the city.
Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) claimed responsibility for the attack, stating that "God has enabled the soldiers of the Islamic State to detonate a parked, booby-trapped truck amid a gathering of apostates in one of their most important Shiite majority strongholds, in Sadr City." According to the group, the attack targeted members of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Forces, largely comprising Shi'ite militias allied with the Iraqi government. However, CNN reported the top United Nations official in Iraq, Gyorgy Busztin, as saying that the victims were "innocent civilians."
In response to the attack, local residents attacked police and security responders, blaming the government for continued attacks in Baghdad.
Shiite lawmaker Hakim al-Zamili, head of Iraq's parliamentary security committee, called for a review of security procedures, including the establishment of local patrols, as well as enhancing the country's intelligence capabilities.
- 2015 Khan Bani Saad bombing
- List of Islamist terrorist attacks
- List of terrorist incidents, 2015
- List of terrorist incidents linked to ISIL
- Timeline of the Iraq War (2015)
- "Islamic State claims huge truck bomb attack in Baghdad's Sadr City". Reuters. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Isis bombing leaves scores dead at market in Baghdad". The Guardian. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Baghdad truck bomb: More than 60 dead after explosion in busy Iraq marketplace". The Independent. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Truck Bombing at Baghdad Market Kills 62; IS Claims Blast". 13 August 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Truck Bomb Kills About 60 at Market in Baghdad Neighborhood of Sadr City". The New York Times. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Blast at Baghdad market kills dozens; ISIS claims responsibility". CNN. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Scores Killed in Baghdad Truck Bomb". The Wall Street Journal. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Truck bomb targeting Shiites kills 67 at Baghdad market". The Washington Post. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2015.