2015 Melbourne Cup
The 2015 Emirates Melbourne Cup was the 155th running of the Melbourne Cup, a prestigious Australian Thoroughbred horse race. The race, run over 3,200 metres (1.988 mi), was held on 3 November 2015 at Melbourne's Flemington Racecourse. The date is a public holiday in the state of Victoria. The final field for the race was declared on 31 October. The total prize money for the race was A$6.2 million, the same as the previous year.
Prior to the race, racehorse advocacy groups and animal rights activists attempted to highlight the number of racehorse deaths due to injuries sustained during a race. The death of two horses in Melbourne Cup 2014 race has called into question the use of the whip and whether it results in unnecessary harm to the animal. Racing Australia has since amended its rules governing the use of the whip, effective from 1 December 2015.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2015)
Prince of Penzance pulled ahead of the front-runners only around 100m from the finish of the race, surprising many, including Payne. Payne's technique focused on galloping, due to her belief that doing so was key to winning.
|1||Snow Sky||Sir Michael Stoute||Ryan Moore||58 kg||16||23|
|Michael Walker||57.5 kg||4||3|
|3||Fame Game†||Yoshitada Munakata||Zac Purton||57 kg||12||13|
|4||Our Ivanhowe||Lee Freedman
|Ben Melham||56 kg||22||10|
|5||Big Orange||Michael Bell||Jamie Spencer||55.5 kg||23||5|
|6||Hartnell||John O'Shea||James McDonald||55.5 kg||17||15|
|7||Hokko Brave||Yasutoshi Matsunaga||Craig Williams||55.5 kg||20||17|
|8||Max Dynamite||Willie Mullins||Frankie Dettori||55 kg||2||2|
|9||Red Cadeaux||Ed Dunlop||Gérald Mossé||55 kg||8||DNF|
|10||Trip To Paris||Ed Dunlop||Tommy Berry||55 kg||14||4|
|11||Who Shot Thebarman||Chris Waller||Blake Shinn||54.5 kg||6||11|
|12||Sky Hunter||Saeed bin Suroor||William Buick||54 kg||7||22|
|13||The Offer||Gai Waterhouse||Damien Oliver||54 kg||13||8|
|14||Grand Marshall||Chris Waller||Jim Cassidy||53.5 kg||15||21|
|15||Preferment||Chris Waller||Hugh Bowman||53.5 kg||11||20|
|16||Quest For More||Roger Charlton||Damian Lane||53.5 kg||21||9|
|Dwayne Dunn||53 kg||10||18|
|18||Kingfisher||Aidan O'Brien||Colm O'Donoghue||53 kg||9||19|
|19||Prince of Penzance||Darren Weir||Michelle Payne||53 kg||1||1|
|20||Bondi Beach||Aidan O'Brien||Brett Prebble||52.5 kg||18||16|
|21||Sertorius||Jamie Edwards||Craig Newitt||52.5 kg||5||12|
|22||The United States||Robert Hickmott||João Moreira||52.5 kg||3||14|
|23||Excess Knowledge||Gai Waterhouse||Kerrin McEvoy||51 kg||24||7|
|24||Gust Of Wind||John Sargent||Chad Schofield||51 kg||19||6|
† Indicates race favourite
Three-time cup runner-up Red Cadeaux did not finish, suffering a suspected fracture in the left fetlock, a joint above the hoof similar to an ankle in humans. The gelding was taken to a veterinary clinic for surgery. Red Cadeaux's trainer initially announced that the horse would likely recover, but retired from racing. However, on 21 November, Red Cadeaux was euthanised, due to complications from the injury.
- 2015 Melbourne Cup Horses – racenet.com.au. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- 2015 Melbourne Cup – HorseRacingInfo.com.au. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Melbourne Cup 2015: Michelle Payne first woman to ride winner as long shot Prince of Penzance wins – as it happened". Guardian Australia.
- "127 horses killed on Australian tracks in a year". News. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Cup runner Admire Rakti died of heart attack, initial autopsy finds". ABC News. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- Chang, Charis (3 November 2015). "Courier Mail". Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Whips" (PDF). 2015 media releases. Racing Australia. 23 October 2015. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Fly Emirates Melbourne Cup 2015 Race (video)". Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Melbourne Cup: Michelle Payne lauds 'incredible' Prince Of Penzance after historic win". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 3 November 2015.
- "Melbourne Cup 2015 results: finishing order". The Age (Australia). Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Red Cadeaux breaks down: Trainer Ed Dunlop confirms retirement of popular Melbourne Cup runner". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Red Cadeaux 'alive and well'". NewsComAu. NewsComAu. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Red Cadeaux to retire after Melbourne Cup injury". 9news. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "British Stayer Red Cadeaux Euthanized". bloodhorse.com. 20 November 2015. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "Red Cadeaux euthanised after succumbing to injuries". Sydney Morning Herald. 21 November 2015. Retrieved 21 November 2015.