2015 Skycity Triple Crown
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Round 5 of 14 in the 2015 International V8 Supercars Championship|
|Date||19–21 June 2015|
|Location||Darwin, Northern Territory|
|Venue||Hidden Valley Raceway|
The 2015 Skycity Triple Crown was a motor race for V8 Supercars held on the weekend of 19–21 June 2015. The event was held at Hidden Valley in Darwin, Northern Territory, and consisted of two sprint races, each over a distance of 60 kilometres (37 miles) and one endurance race over a distance of 200 kilometres (124 miles). It was the fifth round of fourteen in the 2015 International V8 Supercars Championship.
The two sprint races were shared between Holden and Ford; Prodrive Racing Australia driver Chaz Mostert won the opening race by a second ahead of teammate, and championship leader, Mark Winterbottom, while the next three placings were taken by Nissan Motorsport drivers Rick Kelly, James Moffat and Michael Caruso. In race two, Triple Eight Race Engineering's Craig Lowndes led home a Holden 1–2 ahead of Walkinshaw Racing driver Tim Slade, while Mostert completed the podium. With victory, Lowndes became the first V8 Supercar driver to win 100 championship races, spanning 19 years from his maiden win during the 1996 Australian Touring Car Championship season.
The main 200 kilometres (124 miles) race was won by David Reynolds for Rod Nash Racing, having started from pole position. Mostert again finished on the podium, with a second-place finish, while Fabian Coulthard completed the podium for the Brad Jones Racing team. In the championship standings, the top three drivers remained the same; however, Winterbottom extended his championship lead from 12 to 95 ahead of Lowndes, while Coulthard moved closer to Lowndes, trailing by 60 points. Mostert's triple podium finish moved him up to fourth in the standings.
- After Race 15 of 36.
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- Bartholomaeus, Stefan (20 June 2015). "Mostert wins chaotic Hidden Valley opener". Speedcafe.com. Speedcafe. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Craig Lowndes finally hits 100 V8 Supercars victories at the Hidden Valley circuit". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. 20 June 2015. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Dale, Will (22 June 2015). "Craig Lowndes 100 wins: His 10 key milestone victories and the stats behind his V8 Supercars century". Fox Sports. Fox Sports Pty Limited. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Bartholomaeus, Stefan (21 June 2015). "Reynolds hangs on for Hidden Valley victory". Speedcafe.com. Speedcafe. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Dutton: Our strategy would have worked". V8 Supercars. V8 Supercars Media. 22 June 2015. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
While the same issue affected Lowndes, the final result wasn't as bad for the #888 driver - the Championship margin to leader Mark Winterbottom has expanded to 95 points.
2015 NP300 Navara Winton Super Sprint
|2015 Supercars Championship||Next race:|
2015 Castrol Edge Townsville 400
2014 Skycity Triple Crown
|Skycity Triple Crown||Next year:|
2016 Skycity Triple Crown