|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2013 2014 2015 – 2016 – 2017 2018 2019|
|Ab urbe condita||2769|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||乙未年 (Wood Goat)
4712 or 4652
— to —
丙申年 (Fire Monkey)
4713 or 4653
|- Vikram Samvat||2072–2073|
|- Shaka Samvat||1938–1939|
|- Kali Yuga||5117–5118|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 28
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 105
|Thai solar calendar||2559|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2016.|
2016 (MMXVI) will be a leap year starting on Friday of the Gregorian calendar (dominical letter CB), the 2016th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 16th year of the 3rd millennium, the 16th year of the 21st century, and the 7th year of the 2010s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- The Sri Shakthi Institute of Engineering and Technology plan to organize "2016 International Conference on Computer Communication and Informatics" on 07-09 January 2016, for more details visit www.iccci.in
- May 9 – A transit of Mercury will occur. Full transit will be visible in South America, Eastern North America, Western Europe, and a partial transit everywhere else except Australia and far eastern Asia.
- September 7–18 – The 2016 Summer Paralympics will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- China plans to complete the Five hundred meter Aperture Spherical Telescope.
- November 1 – Sierra Nevada plan to launch Dream Chaser, a privately built spaceplane on an unmanned debut mission.
- November 8 - The US presidential election will take place on this date.
- The right of the United States Armed Forces to use Diego Garcia in the Chagos Islands as a military base will end, but there will be a provision for an automatic 20-year extension of their lease.
- Orbital Technologies, a Russian private spaceflight company, plans to launch a space hotel for wealthy tourists in 2016.
- The Holy and Great Synod of the Orthodox Church is planned to take place in Istanbul.
- "ESA - Robotic Exploration of Mars: ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter (TGO)". Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "The Transit of Mercury on 2016 May 9". Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- "Juno Mission to Jupiter" (PDF). NASA. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- "Rio 2016 Olympic Games". Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "The Paralympic Games". Rio 2016. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "The Five-Hundred-Meter Aperture Spherical Radio Telescope (FAST) Project". Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Private Dream Chaser Space Plane to Launch 1st Orbital Flight in 2016".
- "Chagossians in Seychelles seek to meet UK contracted experts on resettlement study". August 5, 2014. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "'Space hotel' plan unveiled in Russia". BBC. September 30, 2010. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- Afanasieva, Dasha; Heneghan, Tom (March 10, 2014). "Orthodox Churches Will Hold First Ecumenical Council In 1,200 Years In Istanbul". Huffington Post.
- "Communiqué of the Primates of the Orthodox Churches, At the Phanar, March 9, 2014".