|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2013 2014 2015 – 2016 – 2017 2018 2019|
|Ab urbe condita||2769|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||乙未年 (Wood Goat)
4712 or 4652
— to —
丙申年 (Fire Monkey)
4713 or 4653
|- Vikram Samvat||2072–2073|
|- Shaka Samvat||1938–1939|
|- Kali Yuga||5117–5118|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 28
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 105
|Thai solar calendar||2559|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2016.|
2016 (MMXVI) will be a leap year starting on Friday (dominical letter CB) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2016th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 16th year of the 3rd millennium, the 16th year of the 21st century, and the 7th year of the 2010s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- March 14 - The ESA and Roscosmos plan to launch the joint ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter on a mission to Mars. It was originally scheduled to be launched on January 7, but in September 2015 the mission was postponed.
- May 9 – A transit of Mercury will occur. Full transit will be visible in South America, Eastern North America, Western Europe, and a partial transit everywhere else except Australia and far eastern Asia.
- September 3 – NASA plans to launch the OSIRIS-REx mission to retrieve a sample from the asteroid Bennu.
- September 7–18 – The 2016 Summer Paralympics will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- China plans to complete the Five hundred meter Aperture Spherical Telescope.
- November 1 – Sierra Nevada plan to launch Dream Chaser, a privately built spaceplane on an unmanned debut mission.
- December 31 – The last remaining American, British and Australian troops will withdraw from Afghanistan.
- The right of the United States Armed Forces to use Diego Garcia in the Chagos Islands as a military base will end, but there will be a provision for an automatic 20-year extension of their lease.
- Orbital Technologies, a Russian private spaceflight company, plans to launch a space hotel for wealthy tourists in 2016.
- The Holy and Great Synod of the Orthodox Church is planned to take place in Istanbul.
- "United Nations Observances: International Years". United Nations. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- "ESA - Robotic Exploration of Mars: ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter (TGO)". Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Russian, EU Space Agencies Propose to Delay Joint Mission to Mars". September 18, 2015. Retrieved November 26, 2015.
- "The Transit of Mercury on 2016 May 9". Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- "Juno Mission to Jupiter" (PDF). NASA. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- "Rio 2016 Olympic Games". Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "The Paralympic Games". Rio 2016. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "The Five-Hundred-Meter Aperture Spherical Radio Telescope (FAST) Project". Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Private Dream Chaser Space Plane to Launch 1st Orbital Flight in 2016".
- "Chagossians in Seychelles seek to meet UK contracted experts on resettlement study". August 5, 2014. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "'Space hotel' plan unveiled in Russia". BBC. September 30, 2010. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- Afanasieva, Dasha; Heneghan, Tom (March 10, 2014). "Orthodox Churches Will Hold First Ecumenical Council In 1,200 Years In Istanbul". Huffington Post.
- "Communiqué of the Primates of the Orthodox Churches, At the Phanar, March 9, 2014".