2016–17 Australian bushfire season
This article needs to be updated.(February 2017)
The 2016-17 Australian Bushfire Season saw a very wet start with the 5th wettest December on record being 76% above the average rainfall for the month.across much of the country. This caused a significant surge in vegetation growth leading into the fire danger period.
|2016–17 Australian bushfire season|
|Date(s)||Winter (June) 2016 – Autumn (May) 2017|
|State||Start date||Deaths||Injuries||Res. houses lost||Other structures lost||Area (ha)||Local govt.||Impacted communities||Duration||Ref.|
|NSW||11 February 2017||35||52,000+ ha||Warrumbungle||Uarbry||3 days|||
|NSW||17 February 2017||0||0||11 destroyed; 12 damaged.||3,500 ha||Carwoola, Captains Flat||2 days|||
|WA||26 January 2017||0||0||0||2||Capel||Gwindinup Argyle|
|WA||21 December 2016||2,000 ha||Gingin Dandaragen||Mimegarra
|NSW||6,500||Port Stephens||Port Stephens|||
|VIC||5 Jan 2017||150||Kellalac|||
|VIC||24 Dec 2016||150||Bridgewater|
|ACT||24 Jan 2017||2,450||Tarago|||
- "Australia in December 2016". www.bom.gov.au. Retrieved 2017-01-28.
- "35 homes razed in NSW blazes: RFS". SBS News. SBS. 15 February 2017. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- Le Lievre, Kimberley; Groch, Sherryn; Brown, Andrew (18 February 2017). "Police investigate blaze near Queanbeyan as fire crews battle on". The Canberra Times. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- "Crews battle bushfires at Hunter's Port Stephens, Cessnock". ABC New. 2016-11-06. Retrieved 2017-01-28.
- Media, CFA. "Grassfire in Kellalac - CFA". CFA. Retrieved 2017-01-28.
- Cootes, Georgina Mitchell, Charli Shield, Isobel (2017-01-29). "One home destroyed in Currandooley bushfire". The Wimmera Mail-Times. Retrieved 2017-01-29.