List of terrorist incidents in 2016
This is a list of terrorist incidents which took place in 2016, including attacks by violent non-state actors, split up by month. Note that terrorism related to drug wars and cartel violence is not included in these lists.
Lists by month
- List of terrorist incidents in January 2016
- List of terrorist incidents in February 2016
- List of terrorist incidents in March 2016
- List of terrorist incidents in April 2016
- List of terrorist incidents in May 2016
- List of terrorist incidents in June 2016
- List of terrorist incidents in July 2016
- List of terrorist incidents in August 2016
- List of terrorist incidents in September 2016
- List of terrorist incidents in October 2016
- List of terrorist incidents in November 2016
- List of terrorist incidents in December 2016
2016 terrorist incidents with highest death tolls
The following table lists the terrorist incidents of 2016 that were reportedly responsible for 100 or more casualties. This list does not include terror attacks committed by other entities; all attacks listed were carried out by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), all but one of which were part of the civil wars in Iraq or Syria.
|11 January||Bombings||126 (+6)||Unknown||Sharaban, Iraq||January 2016 Iraq attacks: Two huge bomb blasts, one at a teashop and the other at a mosque, killed at least 126 people in the township of Sharaban in Iraq's northern Diyala Province.||ISIL||Iraqi Civil War|
|16 January||Massacre, execution, shooting, suicide bombing||135–300+||Unknown||Deir ez-Zor, Syria||ISIL militants attacked the neighbourhoods of Begayliya and Ayash in Deir ez-Zor, killing dozens of people in execution style murder. Fatality estimates variates between 135 and over 300. International sources reported that the attack was against Syrian Army personal and killed 85 Syrian soldiers along with 50 civilians while Syrian sources said over 300 people were killed, most of whom were children and women. ISIL claimed responsibility for the attack and claimed suicide bombers were used.||ISIL||Syrian Civil War − Deir ez-Zor offensive (January 2016)|
|21 February||Bombing||134 (+2)||180||Sayyidah Zaynab, Syria||February 2016 Sayyidah Zaynab bombings : Islamic State militants detonated a car bomb and later launched two suicide bombings, about 400 meters from Sayyidah Zaynab Mosque, a Shia shrine, believed to contain the grave of Prophet Muhammad's granddaughter. 83 to 134 people were killed and 180 wounded, including children. Syrian media said the attack occurred when pupils were leaving school in the area. At least 60 shops were damaged as well as cars in the area. Islamic State claimed responsibility.||ISIL||Syrian Civil War|
|17 May||Suicide and car bombings, shooting||101+||194+||Baghdad, Iraq||May 2016 Baghdad bombings: A series of eight attacks in Baghdad killed numerous people and wounded more.||ISIL||Iraqi Civil War|
|23 May||Suicide bombing||184+ (+5)||200||Jableh and Tartus, Syria||May 2016 Jableh and Tartous bombings: 184 people are killed and at least 200 wounded in a series of car bomb and suicide attacks in the Syrian cities of Jableh and Tartus in government-controlled territory that hosts Russian military bases. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant claims responsibility.||ISIL||Syrian Civil War|
|3 July||Bombing||346+ (+1)||246+||Baghdad, Iraq||2016 Karrada bombing: At least 346 people were killed, and over 246 injured, in a series of coordinated bomb attacks in Baghdad. Early in the evening of July 3, a large car bomb exploded in the middle of a busy market, killing nearly 346 civilians. The blast occurred in the Baghdad neighborhood of Karrada, which contains Shia Muslims and a large Christian minority. A second car bombing in the district of Sha'ab killed at least 5 people and injured 16, while two more bombings killed at least two more people.||ISIL||Iraqi Civil War|
|24 November||Suicide truck bombing||125 (+1)||95||Hillah, Iraq||November 2016 Hillah suicide truck bombing: A truck bomb killed at least 125 people in Hillah city 95 others are injured.||ISIL||Iraqi Civil War|
- "Islamic State kills dozens in Syria's Deir al-Zor city". Reuters. 16 January 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "135 killed, including civilians, in IS Syria onslaught: monitor". Yahoo! News. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "ISIS commits massacre in village in Deir Ezzor, claiming the lives of 300 civilians – Syrian Arab News Agency". Syrian Arab News Agency. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "IS blasts kill more than 140 as US, Russia press Syria truce". Agence France-Presse, Yahoo! News. 21 February 2016.
- "Syrie: 134 morts dans un attentat au sud de Damas". L'Express. 21 February 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- ABC News. "Wave of Bombings in Baghdad Kill 69". ABC News.
- Kareem Raheem (17 May 2016). "After bombings in Baghdad kill 77, Sadr's forces deploy in some areas". Reuters.
- Amre Sarhan (17 May 2016). "Bomb blast kills 1 person, wounds another in al-Rashid south of Baghdad". Iraq news, the latest Iraq news by Iraqi News.
- Abdelhak Mamoun (17 May 2016). "9 security members killed, wounded in battles of Rutba District". Iraq news, the latest Iraq news by Iraqi News.
- Abdelhak Mamoun (17 May 2016). "9 people killed, wounded in bomb blast in eastern Baghdad". Iraq news, the latest Iraq news by Iraqi News.
- John Davison (23 May 2016). "Bombs kill nearly 150 in Syrian government-held cities: monitor". Reuters.
- "Death toll rises to 161 in bombings of Syrian government strongholds". Fox News. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- "Iraq violence: IS bombing kills 125 Ramadan shoppers in Baghdad". BBC. 3 July 2016.
- Adel, Loaa (2016-07-03). "Bomb explosion in western Baghdad, one al-Hashd al-Shaabi member killed – Iraqi News". Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- Sarhan, Amre (2016-07-03). "Car bomb blast kills civilian in al-Latifiya in southern Baghdad – Iraqi News". Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Suicide truck bomb kills more than 80 in Iraq, most of them Iranian pilgrims". Reuters. 24 November 2016.