Copa América Centenario
2016 Copa América
|Host country||United States|
|Teams||16 (from 2 confederations)|
The Copa América Centenario (sometimes referred to as the Pan-American Cup or Copa Panamericana) is a proposed association football tournament to be scheduled for 2016. The competition is a celebration of CONMEBOL's centenary and is to be the first Copa América hosted outside of South America.
Luis Chiriboga, the President of the Ecuadorian Football Federation stated that the United States and Mexico were potential hosts of at least one stage of the competition. CONMEBOL President Nicolás Leoz said "Mexico has the possibility [of hosting the competition], no doubt. Hopefully we can organize a big event, because we have 100 years and we want to celebrate big,". Hawit, however preferred the competition to be hosted in United States for financial reasons stating that "the market is in the United States, the stadiums are in the United States, the people are in the United States. The study that we have made [shows] that everything’s in the United States."
The following stadiums have been selected for the tournament. Listed are the stadiums, their capacity, and the metropolitan area.
- Rose Bowl (91,000) — Los Angeles, CA
- Stanford Stadium (80,000) — San Francisco, CA
- MetLife Stadium (83,000) — New York, NY
- RFK Stadium (60,000) — Washington, DC
- Florida Citrus Bowl (70,000) — Orlando, FL
- Reliant Stadium (71,000) — Houston, TX
All ten members of CONMEBOL are expected to participate along with teams from the CONCACAF region. Leoz suggested that 10 CONMEBOL teams will participate along with six teams from the CONCACAF region.
CONMEBOL have confirmed that all 10 CONMEBOL members, Mexico, United States and four other CONCACAF teams will qualify.
- Possible CONCACAF entrants
1:Non-FIFA member, eligibility TBD
- Montes, Juan Martín (8 February 2012). "Pretenden nueva era en CONCACAF" (in Spanish). MedioTempo.com. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- "La edición de 2016 será abierta para que no se realice en Sudamérica" (in Spanish). televisadeportes.esmas.com. 26 January 2012. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- "México suena como sede de Copa América en 2016" (in Spanish). erbol.com. 28 January 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "Tricolores, sin restricciones" (in Spanish). elsiglodedurango.com. 9 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "Webb meets with CONMEBOL in Brazil". CONCACAF.com. 4 July 2012. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- "Reunión de Presidentes y el C. Ejecutivo". CONMEBOL.com. 24 October 2012. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "CONCACAF Statement on 2016 Copa America". CONCACAF.com. 26 October 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- Doble ración de Copa América, Marca, 5 January 2014.
- "Conmebol quiere hacer una Copa América en México el 2016" (in Spanish). peruinicia.com. 27 January 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.