2016 Tanzania earthquake
USGS shakemap for the event
|UTC time||2016-09-10 12:27:33|
|Local date||10 September 2016|
|Local time||15:27 EAT (UTC+3)|
|Depth||40.0 km (24.9 mi)|
|Areas affected||Burundi |
Democratic Republic of Congo
A magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck Tanzania 27 km (17 mi) east northeast of Nsunga, Kagera Region on September 10 at a depth of 40 km (25 mi). The shock had a maximum intensity of VII (Very strong). Nineteen people were killed and 253 injured in Tanzania, while four people were killed in Kamuli and seven others were injured in the Rakai District of neighbouring Uganda.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2016)
Casualties and damage
At least 19 people were killed and 253 others injured in Tanzania, with most of the casualties occurring in the town of Bukoba, which suffered widespread damage. In the immediate aftermath of the quake, the main hospital was reported to be stretched beyond its capacity and running low on stocks of medicine, while electricity and telecommunication services were disrupted. On September 12, the Tanzanian Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa's office reported at least 840 houses were destroyed by the quake, with another 1,264 seriously damaged, rendering thousands of people homeless.
In Uganda, the most affected area was the Kyebe sub-county near Kakuuto, where about 78 houses collapsed at Minziiro, and more than 40 others at Kannabulemu, including a police post. At least four people were killed and seven others were injured across the country.
The President of Tanzania John Magufuli postponed a visit to Zambia to take charge of the government's relief efforts, while his Kenyan counterpart Uhuru Kenyatta expressed solidarity with the people of Tanzania and ordered the Kenya Defence Forces to airlift iron sheets, blankets and mattresses in response to the disaster.
- "M5.9 – 27km ENE of Nsunga, Tanzania". United States Geological Survey. September 10, 2016. Retrieved September 10, 2016.
- "Tanzania: Earthquake Death Toll 19, Officials Say". The Citizen (Dar es Salaam). 2016-09-16. Retrieved 2016-09-16.
- "Lives lost, houses collapse as earthquake hits Uganda". The Observer. September 10, 2016. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "At least 16 dead in Tanzania quake". Cape Talk. September 12, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Tanzania earthquake toll clims to 14 dead, 200 injured". Korea Herald. September 11, 2016. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "Official: Death toll in Tanzania earthquake rises to 17". The Associated Press. September 13, 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-09-14. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- "Ten killed in Tanzania earthquake". Deutsche Presse Agentur. September 10, 2016. Retrieved September 10, 2016.
- "5.7 earthquake hits northwest Tanzania, 11 dead and many injured". Africanews. September 10, 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-09-11. Retrieved September 10, 2016.
- "Tanzania rocked by 5.7 magnitude earthquake". Belfast Telegraph. September 10, 2016. Retrieved September 10, 2016.
- "Kenya aids Tanzania following earthquake". Africa Review. September 12, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.