|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2014 2015 2016 – 2017 – 2018 2019 2020|
|Ab urbe condita||2770|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||丙申年 (Fire Monkey)
4713 or 4653
— to —
丁酉年 (Fire Rooster)
4714 or 4654
|- Vikram Samvat||2073–2074|
|- Shaka Samvat||1938–1939|
|- Kali Yuga||5117–5118|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 29
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 106
|Thai solar calendar||2560|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2017.|
2017 (MMXVII) will be a common year starting on Sunday (dominical letter A) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2017th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 17th year of the 3rd millennium, the 17th year of the 21st century, and the 8th year of the 2010s decade.
2017 has been designated as:
- International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development by the United Nations.
Predicted and scheduled events
- August 21 – A total solar eclipse will take place. This will be the first total solar eclipse of the 21st century for the United States, and the first visible in the continental U.S. since February 26, 1979. Totality will occur along a path curving from Oregon to South Carolina, and will last at most for 2 minutes and 40.2 seconds. The location and time of "greatest eclipse" will be on the western edge of Christian County, Kentucky, at 36.9715 degrees north and 87.6559 degrees west, occurring at 18:25 UTC.
- September 15 – The spacecraft Cassini-Huygens, after having studied Saturn for 13 years, will be disposed of by plunging into Saturn's atmosphere.
- October 26 – The collection of records established by the President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992 must be completely disclosed to the public.
- December – NASA plans to launch the exoplanet-seeking TESS mission.
- December – The ESA's CHEOPS exoplanet-hunting satellite will be launched.
- The European Extreme Light Infrastructure project intends to complete its nuclear physics research hub, housing the world's most powerful laser in Romania in 2017.
- The United States plans to deploy additional missile interceptors on its Pacific coast by 2017 to defend against North Korean ballistic missiles.
- International scientists intend to complete the world's first fully synthetic yeast, intended for use in the production of medicines and biofuels, by 2017.
- "United Nations Observances: International Years". United Nations. Retrieved 7 Feb 2016.
- Total Solar Eclipse: August 21 2017. Hermit.org. Updated 2006. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- "Cassini Solstice Mission: Cassini Mission Timeline". Jet Propulsion Laboratory. NASA. Retrieved September 5, 2015.
- "JFK Assassination Records: Frequently Asked Questions". US National Archives. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- "Next Wave of Exoplanet Searches Could Spot Alien Vegetation". Inverse. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "ESA's CHEOPS satellite to hunt transits of suspected exoplanets". Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Romania, EU launch works on world's most powerful laser". Straits Times. June 15, 2013. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- "US to strengthen missile defence in response to North Korea 'provocations'". The Guardian. March 15, 2013. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- "Scientists building synthetic yeast". BBC. July 11, 2013. Retrieved July 11, 2013.