|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2014 2015 2016 – 2017 – 2018 2019 2020|
|Ab urbe condita||2770|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||丙申年 (Fire Monkey)
4713 or 4653
— to —
丁酉年 (Fire Rooster)
4714 or 4654
|- Vikram Samvat||2073–2074|
|- Shaka Samvat||1939–1940|
|- Kali Yuga||5118–5119|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 29
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 106
|Thai solar calendar||2560|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2017.|
2017 (MMXVII) will be a common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar (dominical letter A), the 2017th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 17th year of the 3rd millennium, the 17th year of the 21st century, and the 8th year of the 2010s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- July 1 – The first possible government in Hong Kong elected by universal suffrage is scheduled to take office.
- NASA plans to launch the exoplanet-seeking TESS mission.
- August 21 – A total solar eclipse will take place. This will be the first total solar eclipse of the 21st century for the United States, and the first visible in the continental U.S. since February 26, 1979. Totality will occur along a path curving from Oregon to South Carolina, and will last at most for 2 minutes and 40.2 seconds. The location and time of "greatest eclipse" will be on the western edge of Christian County, Kentucky, at 36.9715 degrees north and 87.6559 degrees west, occurring at 18:25 UTC.
- October 26 – The collection of records established by the President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992 must be completely disclosed to the public.
- NASA's Juno Jupiter exploration probe is scheduled to end its mission and be deorbited, after spending about 13 months in Jupiter orbit.
- The European Extreme Light Infrastructure project intends to complete its nuclear physics research hub, housing the world's most powerful laser, in Romania in 2017.
- JAXA's robotic SELENE-2 lunar mission is expected to be launched in 2017.
- The ESA's CHEOPS exoplanet-hunting satellite will be launched in 2017.
- India hopes to conduct its first human spaceflight in 2017.
- The United States plans to deploy additional missile interceptors on its Pacific coast by 2017 to defend against North Korean ballistic missiles.
- International scientists intend to complete the world's first fully synthetic yeast, intended for use in the production of medicines and biofuels, by 2017.
- Cherry 2000 (1987)
- The Running Man (1987)
- Barb Wire (1996)
- Click (2006)
- Thirst (2012)
- Terminator: Genisys (2015)
- Earth Defense Force 2017 (2006)
- "HK 'to elect its leader by 2017'". BBC. December 29, 2007. Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- "NASA Picks Next Exoplanet Mission for Launch in 2017". Science AAAS. April 8, 2013. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
- Total Solar Eclipse: August 21 2017. Hermit.org. Updated 2006. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- "JFK Assassination Records: Frequently Asked Questions". US National Archives. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory (April 2009). "Juno Mission to Jupiter" (PDF). NASA Facts. NASA. JPL 400-1382. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Romania, EU launch works on world's most powerful laser". Straits Times. June 15, 2013. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- Srinivas Laxman (July 16, 2012). "Japan SELENE-2 Lunar Mission Planned For 2017". Asian Scientist. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- "Europe to begin search for habitable planets in our cosmic backyard". The Guardian. October 22, 2012. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- "ESA picks exoplanet telescope for launch in 2017". Spaceflight Now. October 22, 2012. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Habib Beary (January 27, 2010). "India announces first manned space mission". BBC. Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- "US to strengthen missile defence in response to North Korea 'provocations'". The Guardian. March 15, 2013. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- "Scientists building synthetic yeast". BBC. July 11, 2013. Retrieved July 11, 2013.