2017 Korean Series
|2017 Korean Series|
The 2017 Korean Series was the championship series of the 2017 KBO League season. The Kia Tigers, as the regular season champions, automatically advanced to the Korean Series. They played the winner of the playoff series, the Doosan Bears, who defeated the NC Dinos in the playoff. Kia won the best-of-seven series, 4–1. Yang Hyeon-jong was named the series' most valuable player
Kia won the series, 4–1.
|1||October 25||Doosan Bears 5 – Kia Tigers 3||Gwangju-Kia Champions Field||18:30||19,600|
|2||October 26||Doosan Bears 0 – Kia Tigers 1||Gwangju-Kia Champions Field||18:30||19,600|
|3||October 28||Kia Tigers 6 – Doosan Bears 3||Jamsil Baseball Stadium||14:00||25,000|
|4||October 29||Kia Tigers 5 – Doosan Bears 1||Jamsil Baseball Stadium||14:00||25,000|
|5||October 30||Kia Tigers 7 – Doosan Bears 6||Jamsil Baseball Stadium||18:30||25,000|
|WP: Dustin Nippert (1–0) LP: Héctor Noesí (0–1) Sv: Kim Kang-ryul (1)|
DOO: Kim Jae-hwan (1), Oh Jae-il (1)
KIA: Roger Bernadina (1)
Moon Jae-in, the President of South Korea, threw the ceremonial first pitch. Dustin Nippert started Game 1 for Doosan and Héctor Noesí started for Kia. Oh Jae-won drew a walk with the bases loaded in the fourth inning to score Doosan's first run. In the fifth inning, Park Kun-woo hit a run batted in (RBI) single, and Kim Jae-hwan and Oh Jae-il hit back-to-back home runs for Doosan in the fifth inning. In their half of the fifth inning, Roger Bernadina hit a three-run home run for Kia, and Doosan held on to win 5–3.
|WP: Yang Hyeon-jong (1–0) LP: Ham Deok-ju (0–1)|
Yang Hyeon-jong started Game 2 for the Tigers, while Chang Won-jun started for the Bears. Yang threw a complete game shutout, allowing four hits and recording 11 strikeouts. Kim Joo-chan scored the game's only run in the eighth inning after hitting a double.
|WP: Pat Dean (1-0) LP: Michael Bowden (0-1) Sv: Kim Se-hyun (1)|
KIA: Na Ji-wan (1)
DOO: Nick Evans (1)
Pat Dean threw seven innings for Kia. He pitched aggressively, inducing weak contact from Doosan's hitters. Lee Myung-ki hit an RBI double in the third inning to give Kia a 1-0 lead, and An Chi-hong hit a two RBI single in the fourth inning to increase the lead to 3-0. The Bears scored in the bottom of the fourth inning with a sacrifice fly by Yang Eui-ji, but the Tigers scored again in the fifth inning with an RBI single by Bernadina. Nick Evans hit a home run for the Bears in the seventh inning and Kim Jae-hwan had an RBI for the Bears in the eighth inning to narrow the score to 4-3. Na Ji-wan entered the game as a pinch hitter for Kia in the ninth inning, and hit a two-run home run.
|WP: Im Gi-yeong (1-0) LP: Yoo Hee-kwan (0-1) Sv: Kim Se-hyun (2)|
Im Gi-yeong started for the Tigers, and Yoo Hee-kwan started for the Bears. Bernadina hit an RBI triple in the first inning for Kia, and scored on a single by Choi Hyung-woo. The Tigers scored two more runs in the seventh inning. The Bears scored a run in the eighth inning, but Kia scored a run in the top of the ninth inning. Kim Se-hyun earned his second save of the series for the Tigers, pitching the final 1 1⁄3 innings.
|WP: Héctor Noesí (1-1) LP: Dustin Nippert (1-1) Sv: Yang Hyeon-jong (1)|
KIA: Lee Bum-ho (1)
Game 5 was a rematch of Game 1's starting pitchers, Noesí for Kia and Nippert for Doosan. Lee Bum-ho hit a grand slam for Kia off of Nippert in the third inning. Yang Hyeon-jong earned the save, pitching out of a bases loaded situation in the ninth inning. Kia won their first Korean Series since 2009. Yang won the Korean Series Most Valuable Player Award.
- "Kia Tigers win S. Korean baseball pennant". Koreaherald.com. Retrieved October 25, 2017.
- "Doosan reach Korean Series for 3rd straight year with Game 4 win over NC". Koreatimes.co.kr. May 24, 2012. Retrieved October 25, 2017.
- "President opens Korean Series with ceremonial pitch". Koreaherald.com. Retrieved October 25, 2017.
- "2 ex-major league pitchers to start opener of baseball championship series". Koreaherald.com. Retrieved October 25, 2017.
- "Doosan off to strong start with win over Kia in Korean Series Game 1". Koreatimes.co.kr. May 24, 2012. Retrieved October 27, 2017.
- "Kia even Korean Series with 1-0 win over Doosan". Koreatimes.co.kr. May 24, 2012. Retrieved October 27, 2017.
- 2017/10/28 22:34. "Winning pitcher exploits opponents' aggressive approach in Korean Series". English.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved October 29, 2017.
- "Kia beat Doosan 6-3 to take Game 3 of Korean Series". Koreatimes.co.kr. May 24, 2012. Retrieved October 29, 2017.
- "Kia one win away from Korea Series championship after 5-1 win over Doosan". Koreatimes.co.kr. May 24, 2012. Retrieved October 29, 2017.
- 2017/10/29 17:54 (October 25, 2017). "Rematch of aces set in elimination game in Korean Series". English.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved October 29, 2017.
- "Kia Tigers roar to S. Korean baseball title". Koreaherald.com. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- 2017/10/30 22:42 (October 30, 2017). "Kia Tigers roar to S. Korean baseball title". English.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- 2017/10/31 00:38 (October 31, 2017). "(LEAD) Left-handed ace voted Korean Series MVP". English.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved November 2, 2018.