2017 May Day protests
The 2017 May Day protests were a series of protests that took place on May Day (May 1, 2017) over worker and immigrant rights, throughout the United States and around the world. Protests became violent in Olympia, Washington, and Portland, Oregon. Many demonstrators were protesting against the policies of President Donald Trump, specifically those related to immigration.
The protests occurred in several major cities, including Chicago, Detroit, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. Protesters against deportation held a sit-in at the office of Texas governor Greg Abbott in Austin, and blocked the driveway of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in San Francisco. In New York City, twelve protesters were arrested for civil disobedience after blocking the entrance to the Manhattan JPMorgan building. In Oakland, California, four people were arrested for trespassing at an Alameda County government building.
The protests in Olympia, Washington and Portland, Oregon turned violent and were classified as riots by police. In Portland, protesters allegedly threw lead balls, smoke bombs, paint, glass bottles, and cans of Pepsi at officers. There were multiple cases of property damage and arson. This resulted in 25 arrests and the cancellation of the protest permit. In Olympia, black-clad protesters shattered windows, and threw smoke-issuing devices and rocks at police. Some of the 50 protesters in Olympia had signs reading "delete the port" and broke windows in the Downtown Historic District. Several storefronts suffered damage. Nine police officers were injured by thrown rocks, and nine protesters were arrested.
Protests also occurred in the following cities:
- Concord, California
- Durham, North Carolina
- Fortuna, California
- Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Lansing, Michigan
- Nashville, Tennessee
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Pontiac, Michigan
- Riverside, California
Outside the United States
The protests in Paris, which were held over immigration and labor rights, as well as the 2017 French presidential election, turned violent when Black Bloc protesters joined the protests and began clashing with police, throwing rocks, bricks, concrete, Molotov cocktails, and firebombs. French police clashed with the violent rioters throughout the day, and at least six officers were injured, with some suffering severe burns from firebombs and Molotov cocktails.
- Kelly, Heather (May 1, 2017). "May Day protests put spotlight on tech's other immigrant workers". CNN. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- Johnson, Alex (May 2, 2017). "May Day Protests Turn Violent in Portland as Police Cancel Permits". NBC News. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Violence erupts during May Day protests in Portland, Olympia". The Seattle Times. May 1, 2017. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- Amelia DICKSON (May 1, 2017), "Windows broken, nine arrested in Olympia May Day protest", The Olympian, Olympia, Washington
- "25 arrested after Portland May Day march turns into riot". KGW. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- Francescani, Chris. "May Day rallies across U.S. target Trump immigration policy". Reuters. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- Medina, Jennifer; Yee, Vivian (2017-05-01). "On May Day, Protesters Take to the Streets Nationwide". The New York Times. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- "Teens study 'democracy in action' at May Day protest". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Pontiac protesters join nationwide May Day". Freep.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- Name (required). "Protesters Hold May Day Rallies In Lansing, Southwest Detroit « CBS Detroit". Detroit.cbslocal.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- Katsilometes, John (2012-02-20). "'Superpeaceful' May Day protest on Las Vegas Strip draws thousands – Las Vegas Review-Journal". Reviewjournal.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "May Day live updates: Trump supporters face off with demonstrators". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- Cota, Marc. "May Day march: 1 arrested in downtown LA after burning American flag". abc7.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "May Day protests in US draw attention to immigrant rights". Fox News. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- McLaughlin, Eliott C. (2015-09-01). "May Day rallies turn violent in several cities". CNN.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "May Day Live Updates: Bay Area protests, arrests and more". Mercurynews.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- KIRO 7 News Staff. "Anti-Trump protesters, Trump supporters met during May Day; here's what happened". KIRO-TV. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- Duara, Nigel; Jarvie, Jenny; Etehad, Melissa (May 1, 2017). "Portland police report violence during May Day event; rallies are held across the U.S." Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- Somashekhar, Sandhya; Sottie, Leah (May 1, 2017). "May Day protests spark brawls, arrests across country". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "Riot, arrests in Portland, Ore., as May Day protesters march across US". Alabama Live.
- Gillian Flaccus and Lisa Baumann (May 2, 2017). "May Day Riots Strike Portland and Olympia: Smoke bombs, Molotov cocktails and other items were thrown at police Monday afternoon in Portland, Oregon, during May Day protests which police were calling a riot". US News and World Report. Associated Press.
- Allen, Karma; Jacobo, Julia (2017-05-02). "25 arrested after May Day protests turn violent". ABC News. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- "Police declare riot as protesters set fires in downtown Portland". Oregon Live.
- "May Day demonstrations turn violent in Northwest, dozens arrested". CBS News.
- "May Day protests turn into 'riots' in Portland, Olympia". Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Portland, Oregon, mayor condemns violent May Day protest". 2 May 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- Edevane, Gillian. "'We Are Not Your Enemy:' Hundreds Flock to Peaceful Concord May Day Rally". NBC Bay Area. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- Pulliam, Tim. "Durham protesters blame driver, police for tense incident". abc11.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- McKenna, Mark. "Dozens Gather for May Day Protest in Fortuna (with Video) | News Blog". Northcoastjournal.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "May Day protests held in the Twin Cities - Austin Daily Herald". www.austindailyherald.com. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Nashville May Day demonstration nearly turns violent". Tennessean.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Hundreds take the streets in Phoenix for May Day". Azcentral.com. 2016-10-20. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Hundreds gather in Riverside for May Day march to protest Trump agenda". Sbsun.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "May Day violence breaks out in Paris; demonstrations around the world". Fox News. 1 May 2017. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- Ten, Network. "May Day in France: Six officers injured in riots". Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "WATCH: Violent Riots in Paris as May Day celebrations end in tear gas and fires in the capital - Independent.ie". Independent.ie. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- Media related to 2017 May Day protests at Wikimedia Commons