2017 Nueva Ecija bus accident
|2017 Nueva Ecija bus accident|
|Date||April 18, 2017|
|Time||Around 11:00 a.m. (PST)|
|Location||Carranglan, Nueva Ecija|
|Bus route or line||Ilocos Sur|
|Bus operator||LeoMarick Trans|
A passenger bus fell into a ravine, nearly 100-foot (30 m) high, in Carranglan, Nueva Ecija, the Philippines, killing 36 people and injuring about 40 others, after it lost its brakes near Dalton Pass on April 18, 2017. The accident surpassed the number of deaths in the bus crash in Tanay, Rizal this year which happened in February and killed 15.
Accident and investigation
According to Senior Supt. Antonio Yarra, director of the Nueva Ecija provincial police, the bus—Leomarick bus, bound from Isabela to Ilocos Sur, carrying about 60 passengers (exceeding the total capacity of 45). As the bus reached Barangay Capintalan in Carranglan town, the bus lost its brakes and falls into ravine, plunging 80-100 ft. high, while travelling to the zigzag road. The resulting accident killing 36 passengers and injured around 46, who mostly taken to the hospital.
Before the accident, the bus driver notified the passengers as the brakes were not working, according to the survivor via telephone interview with Yarra. Another survivor said the bus was trying to overtake another bus when its engine stopped, however, the bus lost control when the driver tried to restart the engine. Investigators said that the bus' front tires had popped, causing the bus to plunge. Authorities are looked that the overloading of the bus are the possible of the crash, although that the capacity of the bus is 45, it carried 77.
The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) will issue a 30-day suspension against the operator of Leomarick bus which involved in the accident. On the same day, at 3:55 pm, 26 bodies were retrieved by the provincial rescue team from the wreck site. It was confirmed that 13 victims who were retrieved from the wreck were died.
LTFRB spokesperson Atty. Aileen Lizada said the agency will also distributing the P100,000 insurance to the victims.
Malacañang Palace expressed condolences to the families of the victims of the bus crash.
“We express our deep condolences to the families of the victims who died in the tragic bus accident in Carranglan, Nueva Ecija. Rescue operations and investigation are currently underway,”— Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella, April 18, 2017
- "'Several factors' behind Nueva Ecija bus crash – road safety advocate". Rappler.
- "31 dead, 46 injured in Nueva Ecija bus crash". CNN Philippines.
- "Fatalities in Nueva Ecija bus accident rise to 35". SunStar Manila.
- "26 dead in Nueva Ecija road accident". Manilla Bulletin.
- "At least 26 dead in Nueva Ecija bus crash". Rappler.
- "Passengers scream as bus plunges in Philippines, killing 31". Associated Press. Daily Mail UK.
- "29 dead in Nueva Ecija bus crash". The Philippine Star.
- "Bus crash kills 32 in Nueva Ecija". Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- "Bus in Nueva Ecija crash overloaded". Rappler.
- "LTFRB to suspend operation of bus in Nueva Ecija road mishap". ABS-CBN.
- "N. Ecija mishap victims to get initial financial aid". ABS-CBN.
- "Palace condoles with victims of Nueva Ecija bus crash".