2017 Surigao earthquake
|UTC time||2017-02-10 14:03:43|
|Local date||February 10, 2017|
|Local time||22:03:42 PST|
|Total damage||₱665 million+|
|Max. intensity||PEIS – VII (Destructive)|
|Aftershocks||at least 140|
The 2017 Surigao earthquake occurred on February 10, 2017 at 10:03 PM (PST), with a surface wave magnitude of 6.7 off the coast of Surigao del Norte in the Philippines. According to the PHIVOLCS Earthquake Intensity Scale the earthquake was an Intensity VII (Destructive) earthquake at maximum. In the past Surigao province has been hit by a magnitude 7.2 tremor in both 1879 and 1893.
The earthquake was recorded by PHIVOLCS on February 10, 2017 at 10:03:42 PM (UTC+8). Based on the agency, the epicenter of the 6.7 magnitude-earthquake was at Coordinates: or 16 kilometers, north west of Surigao City. The earthquake was tectonic of origin. The most affected area in terms of PHIVOLCS Earthquake Intensity Scale (PEIS) was Surigao City which experienced an intensity of Intensity VII (Destructive). The United States Geological Survey reports the earthquake as having a moment magnitude of 6.5.
According to the Department of Social Welfare and Development, at least 300 houses in Surigao del Norte were damaged following the earthquake. Seven bridges collapsed, isolating San Francisco. At least eleven towns were affected, experiencing power outages.
The Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council of Surigao del Norte projects that the cost of damage to property and infrastructure is at least ₱665 million.
The Philippine national government, through Presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella, assured the public that the government will provide aid.
By the afternoon of February 14, 2017, there were at least 140 reported aftershocks recorded by PHIVOLCS.
On March 5, 2017, an aftershock of magnitude 5.9 occurred while one person died of a heart attack, 29 others were injured and some walls collapsed.
- "Aftershocks rattle survivors after Philippine quake kills 8". Fox News. February 12, 2017. Retrieved February 12, 2017.
- "6 dead, dozens hurt from magnitude-6.7 Surigao quake". CNN Philippines. 11 February 2017. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "PHILVOLCS - Earthquake Information No.4 (10 Feb 2017 - 10:03:42 PM)". Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology. 11 February 2017. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Magnitude 6.7 quake hits Surigao City". Sun Star Cebu. 10 February 2017. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- Gamil, Jaymee (11 February 2017). "DSWD: More than 300 houses damaged due to Surigao earthquake". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "Surigao quake survivors refuse to go home". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 15 February 2017. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- "State of calamity declared in quake-hit Surigao". ABS-CBN News. 11 February 2017. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "Gov't assures aid for victims of the Surigao earthquake". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Agence France-Presse. 11 February 2017. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- Samhati Bhattacharjya (March 5, 2017). "Philippine: Earthquake-stricken city Surigao experiences aftershock of 5.9-magnitude". International Business Times. Retrieved March 5, 2017.