2017 in Iraq
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Other events of 2017|
List of years in Iraq
Events in the year 2017 in Iraq.
- President: Fuad Masum
- Prime Minister: Haider al-Abadi
- Vice President: Nouri al-Maliki, Usama al-Nujayfi, Ayad Allawi
- 2 January – a series of suicide car bombings took place in Sadr City and behind the Kindi and Imam Ali hospitals in Baghdad, killing 56 people and injuring more than 120.
- 27 March – the American-led coalition conducted a bombing of the al-Aghawat al-Jadidah neighborhood in Western Mosul on 17 March 2017 that killed hundreds of civilians.
- 21 June – The Great Mosque of al-Nuri in Mosul was destroyed during the battle by militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- 29 September – Iraqi government official threat to Kurdish to close a border in Northern Iraq follow vote for independence referendum.
- 3 October – Former President of Iraq Jalal Talabani dies in Berlin, Germany aged 83.
- October 3: Jalal Talabani, Iraqi politician, former president (born 1933)
- Hennigan, W.J.; Hennessy-Fiske, Molly (24 March 2017). "More than 200 civilians killed in suspected U.S. airstrike in Iraq". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- BBC staff (21 June 2017). "Battle for Mosul: IS 'blows up' al-Nuri mosque". BBC World News. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Jalal Talabani, Kurdish Leader and Iraq's First Postwar President, Is Dead at 83". The New York Times. 3 October 2017. Retrieved 3 October 2017.