2017 in Turkey
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs to be updated.(August 2017)
|See also:||List of years in Turkey|
- Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, President, 2014–current
- Binali Yıldırım, Prime Minister, 2016–current
- İsmail Kahraman, Speaker of the Grand National Assembly, 2015–current
- 1 January – A terrorist attack on the Reina nightclub in Istanbul leaves 39 people dead.
- 2 January - The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant claims responsibility for the attack on the nightclub yesterday.
- 3 January - The Grand National Assembly of Turkey votes to extend the state of emergency by 3 months after the attempted coup last year.
- 5 January – A car bomb explodes in İzmir perpetrated by TAK, killing 2 people.
- 13 January - President Erdogan vows that Turkish troops will remain in Cyprus in perpetuity and describes proposed terms of a rotating presidency to be unacceptable.
- 14 January - The Parliament of Turkey approves two constitutional amendments to expand the president's power to appoint new legislation and select the cabinet.
- 26 January - Greece refuses to extradite eight soldiers accused of playing a role in the coup attempt last year.
- 28 January - President Erdogan signs a 100 million pound deal with British Prime Minister Theresa May over the construction of fighter jets.
- 30 January - In the capital of Ankara, 269 people are put on trial after being charged for their roles in the coup attempt last year.
- 31 January – The Eurasia Tunnel, which combines the Asian and European continents with a black tunnel, has started uninterruptedly.
- 5 February - Over 800 suspected ISIL members are arrested by the Turkish police.
- 8 February - 4400 public servants are dismissed in another purge following the attempted coup last year.
- 9 February – A Russian airstrike accidentally killed 3 Turkish troops in al-Bab, Syria.
- 11 February - Abdulgadir Masharipov is charged with murder in relation to the night club shooting at the start of the year and remains incarcerated.
- 14 February - Over 800 people are detained by police due to allegations of them being members of the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).
- 17 February – 2017 European Youth Olympic Winter Festival was held in Erzurum.
- 22 February - Turkey lifts the ban on female army soldiers wearing the hijab.
- 28 February - A trial of 330 suspects in last year's attempted coup opens as the largest trial to date.
- 4 March - A Syrian fighter jet crashed in the Hatay Province near the Turkish-Syrian border.
- 11 March - Dutch authorities withdrew landing permissions for a Turkish minister following his support for the referendum in April. President Erdogan calls the Dutch authorities "Nazi remnants". In response, Dutch authorities expel another minister from Rotterdam to the border with Germany.
- 13 March - Dutch ambassador to Turkey, Cornelis Van Rij, was expelled from Ankara following a Dutch ban on Turkish ministers speaking at pro-Erdogan rallies.
- 29 March - Prime Minister Yildirim declares an end to Operation Euphrates Shield in Syria but says an operation will follow under a different name.
- 16 April – The 2017 Turkish constitutional referendum occurred.
- 19 April – The 2017 Turkvision Song Contest was held in Ankara.
- 29 April - The 2017 block of Wikipedia in Turkey
- "Önce Vatan" Party was shut down by the Constitutional Court of Turkey 
- "Istanbul new year Reina nightclub attack 'leaves 39 dead'".
- "lslamic State claims responsibility for Istanbul nightclub attack".
- "TURKEY TO EXTEND STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED AFTER COUP".
- "Car bomb kills two outside courthouse in Turkish city of İzmir".
- "Cyprus talks: Turkish troops will remain on island, vows Erdoğan".
- "Turkish MPs approve 2 constitutional amendments to enhance president's powers".
- "Turkish anger as Greece rejects extradition of eight soldiers".
- "Theresa May signs £100m fighter jet deal with Turkey's Erdoğan".
- "Turkey puts Gulen, 269 others on trial over coup bid".
- "Avrasya Tüneli 24 saat açık oluyor" (in Turkish). Milliyet. 30 January 2017. Archived from the original on 30 January 2017. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "Turkey says over 800 detained in anti-ISIL operations".
- "Turkey dismisses 4,400 public servants in latest post-coup attempt purge".
- "Russian Air Strike Kills Turkish Soldiers In Syria".
- "Accused Istanbul nightclub gunman Abdulgadir Masharipov formally charged, reports say".
- "Turkey: Hundreds detained over alleged links to PKK".
- "Turkey reverses female army officers' headscarf ban".
- "Largest post-coup bid trial opens with 330 suspects".
- "Turkey says warplane, probably Syrian, crashed near border".
- "Turkey's Erdogan calls Dutch authorities 'Nazi remnants'".
- "Turkey referendum: Clashes as Dutch expel minister".
- "Turkey threatens to pull out of migrant deal as Dutch row intensifies".
- "Turkey ends 'Euphrates Shield' operation in Syria".