2017 in rail transport
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Years in rail transport|
This article lists events related to rail transport that occurred in 2017.
- January 1 – Phase I of New York City's Second Avenue Subway is opened for revenue service after almost a century of planning.
- January 1–January 18 – First scheduled through railborne intermodal container freight service from Yiwu (China) to London via the New Eurasian Land Bridge and Channel Tunnel.
- January 10 – Addis Ababa–Djibouti Railway inaugurated throughout.
- January 11 – Sale of English train operating company c2c by National Express to Trenitalia is agreed.
- January 14 – A Serbian Railways train decorated with Serbian propaganda intended to run from Belgrade to North Mitrovica is turned back at Raška by order of the Serbian Prime Minister amidst claims that the authorities in Kosovo would prevent it from crossing their border.
- February 24 – The R Line and H Line extensions opened in Denver, Colorado, part of the FasTracks project.
- March 25 – The Warm Springs station opens as part of the Bay Area Rapid Transit system in the San Francisco Bay Area, California.
- May 12 – Expected opening of Detroit's QLINE.
- May – Expected extension of DSB railway electrification system to Esbjerg.
- May – Expected opening of Aarhus Letbane first stage.
- May – Expected opening of the MBTA Commuter Rail's Boston Landing station on the Framingham/Worcester Line.
- July 2 – Expected completion of LGV Sud Europe Atlantique from Tours to Bordeaux and of LGV Bretagne-Pays de la Loire from Le Mans to Rennes with consequent major reshaping of Transport express régional services.
- July 10 - Expected opening of Stockholm City Line.
- July 27 - South Western (including Island Line) train operating company franchise in England, previously operated by Stagecoach Group, expires.
- October – Expected completion of the first new railway in Croatia in 50 years, from Gradec to Sveti Ivan Žabno.
- October 31 – West midlands train operating company franchise in England, previously operated by London Midland, expires.
- December 8 – Expected opening of Schnellfahrstrecke Nürnberg–Erfurt.
- December – Expected introduction of through Eurostar passenger services between London (St Pancras International) and Amsterdam (Centraal).
Unknown date events
- – Tuas West extension, a 7.5-kilometre (4.7 mi) extension of the East West MRT Line in Singapore, scheduled to open.
- – Downtown MRT Line Phrase 3 scheduled to open.
- – Expected opening of the first phase of Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit in Sonoma County, California, between San Rafael and Santa Rosa.
- – Expected opening of the Berryessa segment of the Silicon Valley BART extension.
- – Expected opening of the FasTracks commuter rail G Line in Denver, Colorado.
- – Expected opening of Phase 1 (South Florida) portion of Brightline higher-speed rail in Florida.
- – Expected opening of Milan Metro line 1 Extension from Sesto Primo Maggio to Monza. 
- McCowan, Candace (2016-12-31). "Decades in the making, Second Avenue Subway set to open to the public". ABC7 New York. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- "China to London rail freight service launched". Railway Gazette. 2017-01-04. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- "China-built railway linking Ethiopia and Djibouti officially opens for business". Shanghaiist. 2017-01-12.
- "Ethiopia: Portion of Ethio-Djibouti Railway to Be Inaugurated Tomorrow". 2merkato.com. 2017-01-09.
- Sridharan, Vasudevan (2017-01-11). "China-built rail network in African heartland inaugurated". International Business Times.
- "National Express to sell c2c to Italian railways". Railnews. 2017-01-11. Retrieved 2017-01-11.
- "Serbian train sparks escalation in tensions with Kosovo". BBC News. BBC. 2017-01-14. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "R Line from Aurora to Lone Tree to open in February". FOX 31 Denver. 30 January 2017. Retrieved 13 February 2017.
- "All Aboard: Warm Springs BART Station Kicks Off Service". NBC Bay Area. 25 March 2017. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "What to do, Where to go in 2017". Today's Railways Europe (253): 42–3. January 2017.
- Fleming, Leonard (March 9, 2017). "QLine to begin offering rides on May 12". Detroit News. Retrieved March 14, 2017.
- "Brighton Commuter Rail Station Set To Open In May". www.wbur.org. Retrieved 2017-03-22.
- "Euroduplex Atlantique sets to serve Bordeaux". Railway Gazette. 2016-04-12. Retrieved 2016-12-24.
- "LGV Bretagne–Pays de la Loire. Calendrier tenu!". Le Télégramme. 2016-06-13. Retrieved 2016-12-24.
- "Stockholm City Line set for July 2017 opening". International Railway Journal. 2016-11-03. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- "GOV SouthWestern Franchise Agreement" (PDF). gov.uk. The Government of The United Kingdom. Archived (PDF) from the original on 4 February 2017. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- Barrow, Keith (2016-10-12). "Eurostar Amsterdam timetable emerges". International Railway Journal. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- "Four New Stations on Tuas West Extension on Track for Completion by 2016". Factsheet. Singapore: Land Transport Authority. 2015-10-29. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- Paul, Jesse (2016-11-18). "RTD will not open G-Line or R-Line before end of year as planned". The Denver Post. Retrieved 2016-11-20.