2018 BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award
|BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2018|
|Date||16 December 2018|
|Location||Resorts World Arena, Birmingham|
|Hosted by||Gary Lineker|
Des Clarke and Jazmin Sawyers provided the pre-show entertainment. George Ezra, Paloma Faith and Freya Ridings performed during the show. The Lightning Seeds along with David Baddiel and Frank Skinner performed "Three Lions" whilst a montage of England's run to the football World Cup semi final was played.
- 1 Sport Personality of the year
- 2 Other awards
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Sport Personality of the year
The nominees for the award were revealed during the ceremony.
|Geraint Thomas||Cycling||Became the first Welshman (and fourth Briton) to claim a Grand Tour victory upon winning the Tour de France.|
|Lewis Hamilton||Formula 1||Became just the third driver (after Michael Schumacher and Juan Manuel Fangio) to win a fifth World Drivers' Championship.|
|Harry Kane||Football||Served as England captain in the FIFA World Cup, where he led the squad to a fourth-place finish and scored 6 goals (including a hat trick against Panama) to win the Golden Boot.|
|Dina Asher-Smith||Athletics||Secured a hat trick of European titles with world leading times in the 100 metres, 200 metres and 4x100 metres relay (the first two were also British records).|
|Lizzy Yarnold||Skeleton||Became the first competitor (man or woman) to successfully defend an Olympic skeleton title, as well as the first British Olympian to successfully defend a title in any winter Olympic sport.|
|James Anderson||Cricket||Became the most prolific pace bowler in Test history upon securing his 564th wicket with the final ball of the England v India Test series.|
In addition to the main award as "Sports Personality of the Year", several other awards will also be presented:
- BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award: Gareth Southgate
- BBC Sports Unsung Hero Award: Kirsty Ewen
BBC Sports Personality Greatest Sporting Moment of the Year
On 3 December 2018 the nominees for the inaugural Greatest sporting moment of the year were announced. The winner was decided by public vote (online only) between the 3 December 2018 at 18.30 GMT and 14 December 2018 at 20.00 GMT. It was announced that England netball's last second win over Australia for the Commonwealth games title had been voted sporting moment of the year.
- England's historic netball gold
- England win penalty shootout
- Alastair Cook's farewell century
- Tiger Woods' first win in five years
- Tyson Fury fights back from knockdowns
BBC Sports Personality World Sport Star of the Year
Formerly known as the BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year, the nominees for the award were announced on 3 December. People from outside of the UK could participate in the voting for the first time. Voting took place online between the 3 December 2018 at 15:00 GMT and 15 December 2018 at 14:00 GMT. The winner was Italian golfer, Francesco Molinari.
|Simone Biles||United States||Gymnastics||Won six medals at the 2018 World Championships, a total which included four golds. She won a record breaking 4th all around title despite suffering from a kidney stone and being in hospital the day before the meeting began. She is the first gymnast to win every event at the national championships since 1994.|
|Ester Ledecká||Czech Republic||Skiing and Snowboarding||First woman to win two Winter Olympic titles in different sports at the same games.|
|Francesco Molinari||Italy||Golf||Won the Open Championship and all five Ryder Cup matches that he played in. In addition he won for the first time on the PGA tour and took the European Tour Race to Dubai crown.|
|Oleksandr Usyk||Ukraine||Boxing||Unified the WBO and WBC cruiserweight titles against Mairis Briedis before adding the WBA, IBF and The Ring Magazine belts to his collection after defeating Murat Gassiev. He finished the year by defeating Tony Bellew to defend the titles.|
BBC Sports Personality Team of the Year
The Nominations for Team of the year were announced on the night of the ceremony. The nominees were:
- England Football
- Ireland Rugby Union
- Celtic F.C.
- England Netball
- European Ryder Cup
- Manchester City F.C.
- Mercedes F1
- Team Sky
England Netball team was announced as the winners of the team of the year award.
BBC Sports Personality Lifetime Achievement Award
Billie Jean King became the third woman and third tennis player to be given the Lifetime achievement award. King had won 39 Grand Slam titles in both singles and doubles competitions through out her career, with 20 coming at Wimbledon. In 1961 King and Karen Hantze Susman became the youngest pair to win the women's doubles title at Wimbledon. Through out her career King was world singles number one in six years and won 129 singles titles in total, with the very last one coming in Birmingham where the award was presented. King also won 7 Fed Cup titles as a player and a further 4 as a captain. Away from the court King founded the Women's Tennis Association and was a advocate of gender equality defeating Bobby Riggs in the Battle of the Sexes match. King was inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame in 1987 and was given the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2009. King used her speech to remind people to continue to influence and inspire others.
BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year
|Kare Adenegan||Wheelchair racing||Became T34 100m WPA European champion and 100m world record holder. Beat Hannah Cockcroft for the first time when setting the world record.|
|James Bowen||Horse racing|
|Anna Hursey||Table tennis|
|Georgia Roche||Rugby league|
Helen Rollason award
The Helen Rollason award was given to racing driver Billy Monger. Monger had both his legs amputated after an accident during a Formula 4 race in April 2017. He returned to racing in March 2018 in the British Formula 3 Championship (F3). He took his first pole position in F3 upon his return to the scene of the accident. Monger finished sixth overall in the championship, with three podium finishes and another pole position to his name.
- "BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2018: Nominees to be revealed live on the night". BBC. 2 October 2018. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "New and exciting changes to BBC Sports Personality of the Year". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "BBC Sports Personality of the Year: George Ezra and Paloma Faith among performers". BBC. 22 November 2018. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "BBC Sports Personality of the Year: Baddiel and Skinner to sing Three Lions". BBC. 8 December 2018. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Geraint Thomas wins BBC Sports Personality of the Year award". Guardian. 16 December 2018. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Sports Personality of the Year winner: Geraint Thomas triumphs after Tour de France success". BBC Sport. 16 December 2018. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Sports Personality of the Year: Gareth Southgate named Coach of the Year". BBC Sport. 16 December 2018. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Sports Personality: Vote for your Greatest Sporting Moment of the Year". BBC. 3 December 2018.
- Sports Personality of the Year: Terms and conditions, 8 November 2018, archived from the original on 13 December 2018
- Cary, Tom (16 December 2018). "England netball seal double success at SPOTY awards winning team of the year and best sporting moment". Retrieved 17 December 2018 – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- "Sports Personality of the Year: England netball win Team & Greatest Sporting Moment awards". BBC Sport. 16 December 2018. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Vote for your World Sport Star of the Year 2018". BBC. 3 December 2018.
- "Cyclist Thomas voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year". Reuters. 17 December 2018. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "Molinari named World Sport Star - European Tour". www.europeantour.com. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "Simone Biles: World Sport Star of the Year nominee - BBC Sport". Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Ester Ledecka - BBC World Sport Star of the Year nominee - BBC Sport". Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Francesco Molinari - BBC World Sport Star of the Year nominee - BBC Sport". Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Oleksandr Usyk - BBC World Sport Star of the Year nominee - BBC Sport". Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "2018". Sport Personality of the year. 16 December 2018. BBC.
- "Sports Personality of the Year: Billie Jean King given lifetime achievement award". BBC. 16 December 2018. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "BBC Young Sports Personality 2018: Kare Adenegan wins award". BBC. 21 October 2018. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year 2018: Top 10 revealed". BBC. 15 October 2018.
- "Sports Personality of the Year: Billy Monger wins Helen Rollason Award". 16 December 2018. Retrieved 16 December 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
|This sports award or trophy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|