2018 Brussels summit
|NATO Summit Brussels 2018|
2018 Brussels Summit
|Date||11–12 July 2018|
|Venue(s)||NATO Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium|
|Follows||2017 Brussels summit|
The 2018 Brussels Summit of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) was the 29th formal meeting of the heads of state and heads of government of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, held in Brussels, Belgium, on 11 and 12 July 2018.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2018)
Leaders and other dignitaries in attendance
Non-member states and organisations
- Armenia – Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan
- Azerbaijan – President Ilham Aliyev
- Finland – President Sauli Niinistö
- Georgia – President Giorgi Margvelashvili
- Macedonia - Prime Minister Zoran Zaev
- Ukraine – President Petro Poroshenko
On the opening day of the conference the President of the United States, Donald Trump, caused controversy by asserting that Germany is beholden to Russia over its involvement in the Nord Stream gas pipeline project aimed at doubling energy imports from Russia. German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who grew up in Soviet-controlled East Germany, rebuffed Trump's comments and noted "I am very happy that today we are united in freedom, the Federal Republic of Germany. Because of that we can say that we can make our independent policies and make independent decisions."
The New York Times reported on August 9, 2018 that Trump's senior national security advisors, concerned that Trump might disrupt the summit as he did by refusing to sign the communiqué at the June G7 summit, scrambled to secure a formal policy agreement during the weeks before the summit.
For the first time a RF Drone Detection System was used (a white dome seen at the right rooftop of the summit picture).
- "NATO Secretary General announces dates for 2018 Brussels Summit". nato.int. 20 October 2017.
- Jacobs, Jennifer; Olorunnipa, Toluse (2018-06-06). "Trump Plans July Trip to Brussels for NATO Summit, Officials Say". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Prime Minister, Deputy PM, Ministers: Armenia gears up for NATO Summit". panarmenian.net. 9 July 2018. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "Official web-site of President of Azerbaijan Republic - NEWS » Events". en.president.az. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Presidentti Niinistö Naton huippukokoukseen heinäkuussa" (in Finnish). Yle. 2018-06-27. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- "Macedonia And NATO Sign Deal On Accession Process". Radio Liberty. Radio Free Europe. 12 July 2018. Retrieved 14 July 2018.
- "VOA: Ukraine will attend NATO summit despite Hungarian objection". Unian Information Agency. 4 July 2018. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- Mikelionis, Lukas (2018-07-13). "Democrats assail Trump's remarks on Germany's reliance on Russia despite Kerry, Biden issuing similar concerns". Fox News. Retrieved 2018-07-14.
- MacAskill, Ewen (2018-07-11). "Angela Merkel hits back at Donald Trump at Nato summit". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-07-11.
- "U.S. Officials Scrambled Behind the Scenes to Shield NATO Deal From Trump". Retrieved 12 August 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to NATO summits.|