2018 California Proposition 12
|Farm Animal Minimum Space|
|Source: California Secretary of State|
|Elections in California|
Proposition 12 ("Prop 12") was a California ballot proposition in that state's general election on November 6, 2018. The measure was self-titled the Prevention of Cruelty to Farm Animals Act. The measure passed, by a vote of about 63% Yes to 37% No.
The proposition establishes new minimum requirements on farmers to provide more space for egg-laying hens, breeding pigs, and calves raised for veal. California businesses will be banned from selling eggs or uncooked pork or veal that came from animals housed in ways that did not meet these requirements.
Ballot Label summary
The California Secretary of State's summary from the Official Voter Information Guide of Proposition 12 is as follows:
"ESTABLISHES NEW STANDARDS FOR CONFINEMENT OF SPECIFIED FARM ANIMALS; BANS SALE OF NONCOMPLYING PRODUCTS. INITIATIVE STATUTE. Establishes minimum requirements for confining certain farm animals. Prohibits sales of meat and egg products from animals confined in noncomplying manner. Fiscal Impact: Potential decrease in state income tax revenues from farm businesses, likely not more than several million dollars annually. State costs up to $10 million annually to enforce the measure."
Humane Society of the United States
ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals)
Mercy for Animals
The Humane League
Compassion in World Farming
Animal Legal Defense Fund
Animal Protection and Rescue League (APRL)
Compassion Over Killing
In Defense of Animals (IDA)
San Francisco SPCA
San Diego Humane Society
Marin Humane Society
Center for Food Safety
Organic Consumers Association
Center for Biological Diversity
Sierra Club California
United Farm Workers
World Animal Protection
Animal Welfare Institute
California Animal Welfare Association
Newspapers supporting Prop 12:
Los Angeles Times
The Mercury News (San Jose)
The Monterey Herald
San Francisco Bay Guardian
East Bay Express
East Bay Times
Marin Independent Journal
San Diego Free Press
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Association of California Egg Farmers
National Association of Egg Farmers
American Veal Association
California Pork Producers Association
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)
National Pork Producers Council
California Farm Bureau Federation
Protect the Harvest
Humane Farming Association
Friends of Animals
Showing Animals Respect and Kindness (SHARK)
Action for Animals
Newspapers opposing Prop 12:
The Bakersfield Californian
Los Angeles Daily News/The San Bernardino Sun
San Francisco Chronicle
The Fresno Bee/The Sacramento Bee
Orange County Register
The Press Democrat (Santa Rosa)
The San Diego Union-Tribune
The Tribune (San Luis Obispo)
Assertions by Proponents
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and other animal protection groups argued that confining animals in small cages is cruel, and that Prop 12 was needed to improve animal welfare, including by mandating cage-free conditions for egg-laying hens. Prop 12 applies equally to both animals raised in California and those raised elsewhere for the California marketplace. Prop 12 was endorsed by the Center for Food Safety because research indicates that caging farm animals increases the spread of food-borne pathogens like Salmonella.
Assertions by Opponents
The American Veal Association argued that Prop 12 would create “unnecessary regulations” and that the veal industry is already well on its way to phasing out crates. Ken Klippen of the National Association of Egg Farmers told Fox News that the measure would take away consumer choice and that the motivation behind the measure was to push consumers towards a vegan diet.
The results of the vote were 62.65% YES to 37.35% NO.
- List of California ballot propositions 2010–19
- List of California ballot propositions
- Elections in California
- California Proposition 2 (2008)
- "Statement of Vote: 2008 General Election" (PDF). California Secretary of State. December 13, 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 6, 2013. Retrieved June 26, 2013.
- "vig.cdn.sos.ca.gov/2018/general/pdf/topl.pdf#prop12" (PDF). vig.cdn.sos.ca.gov. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Proposition 12 | Official Voter Information Guide | California Secretary of State". voterguide.sos.ca.gov. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "California's Proposition 12 Could Be the Latest Measure to Restrict Factory Farming - Pacific Standard". psmag.com. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Prop 12: California voters will have a say on farm animal confinement". KSBY.com. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Yes on Prop 12! Early Voting Begins for CA Law to End Extreme Farmed Animal Confinement". Mercy For Animals. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "The Humane League". Blog. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "A Decade Later, Another 'Cage-Free' Measure is on the California Ballot". Civil Eats. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Proposition 12: Farm Animal Confinement | The Rose Institute of State and Local Government". roseinstitute.org. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Countdown to Critical Vote in California | Animal Equality | International Animal Protection Organization". animalequality.org. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Bryan Pease". Socal VegFest. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "NPR Choice page". npr.org. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "With Proposition 12, California Voters Face Choices On Farm Animal Confinement". capradio.org. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "American Veal Association Statement on California Proposition 12 — American Veal Association". americanveal.com. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "tracy_press/news/dialysis-daylight-saving-ambulance-farm-animal-confinement-propositions-detailed/article_b13b5f24-dd6d-11e8-9c1e-c3fa457e5630". goldenstatenewspapers.com. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Nothing's Good Enough for PETA, Including Prop 12 - October 31, 2018". SF Weekly. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "goldrushcam.com/sierrasuntimes/index.php/news/local-news/15886-california-farm-bureau-federation-announces-positions-on-november-2018-ballot-measures-yes-on-proposition-6-fuel-tax-repeal". goldrushcam.com. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- Yes on Prop 12: Prevent Cruelty California, "Campaign Overview." https://preventcrueltyca.com/campaign-overview. Retrieved 2019-01-04
- citation needed
- citation needed
- Text of Proposition 12
- Prevent Cruelty California – pro-proposition website
- Californians Against Cruelty, Cages, and Fraud – anti-proposition website
- Prop 12 page in California Secretary of State's website
- California Proposition 12, Farm Animal Confinement Initiative (2018) at Ballotpedia
- Treatment of animals on the ballot at Ballotpedia
|This article about the politics of California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to law in the United States or its constituent jurisdictions is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|