2018 East Java earthquake
Shakemap of the earthquake
|UTC time||2018-10-11 18:44:55|
|Local date||11 October 2018|
|Local time||01:44:55 WIB|
|Depth||9 km (6 mi)|
|Max. intensity||V (Moderate)|
On 11 October 2018, an earthquake struck off the coast of East Java, Indonesia, with the epicentre located off the coast of Situbondo Regency. The earthquake, which struck at dawn, killed 4 people in addition to destroying or damaging hundreds of houses, mostly in the small island of Sapudi.
The earthquake occurred at 18:44:55 UTC (01:44:55 WIB), with a strength of Mw 6.0, 9 km depth and epicenter location of (USGS) or Mw 6.3, 12 km depth and epicenter at (BMKG). The epicenter was located underwater, around 60 km northeast of the town of Situbondo. Indonesian Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysical Agency reported 12 aftershocks, the strongest one occurring at 02:22 local time with a strength of Mw 3.5. BMKG attributed the earthquake to a thrust fault movement of an unmapped fault, adding that the region historically saw relatively low seismicity and that the earthquake was not caused by the larger and more destructive earthquakes in Sulawesi and Lombok.
According to Indonesian National Board for Disaster Management (BNPB) spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, the earthquake was felt in 22 regencies and cities in East Java province, including the provincial capital and Indonesia's second-largest city Surabaya. No tsunami warnings were issued, and none occurred. Attendees of the 2018 International Monetary Fund Summit in Denpasar reported feeling the earthquake, but no damage occurred and the summit continued without significant disruption.
The earthquake killed 4 people, and injured at least 26. As the earthquake struck around 2 AM, many of the victims were asleep during the shaking and could not escape. Three of the deaths occurred in Prambanan village of Sapudi Island and were caused by falling roof shrapnel, while the fourth fatality was in Jember, where a 47-year-old man died after he slipped and hit his head when running out of his house during the earthquake.
Nearly 500 houses were reported to be damaged by the day following the earthquake in Sapudi Island alone, with lesser damage in other regencies. Cleanup operations, assisted by soldiers from Kodam V/Brawijaya, began soon after the earthquake. Social minister Agus Gumiwang visited Sapudi later in the day of the earthquake. Governor of East Java Soekarwo also visited the island, and promised that the provincial government would incur the costs of repairing damaged houses, with the provincial administration allocating Rp 23.7 billion (US$1.6 million) for the purpose. The central government also provided benefits of Rp 15 million (~USD 1,000) for the relatives of the fatalities, in addition to smaller benefits from the local governments.
- Suryasumirat, Ratu Annisaa (11 October 2018). "BMKG: Hasil Catatan Sensor Seismik, Gempa Situbondo Bermagnitudo 6,0". liputan6.com. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "Korban Gempa Situbondo Bertambah, Jadi 4 Orang". Berita Satu (in Indonesian). 13 October 2018. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- Islam, Syaiful (11 October 2018). "Info Terkini Gempa Situbondo, 26 Korban Terluka dan 36 Rumah Rusak". Okezone (in Indonesian). Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- "M 6.0 - 40km NNE of Cungapmimbo, Indonesia". USGS. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- Yulika, Nila Chrisna (11 October 2018). "Gempa Situbondo, BMKG Mutakhirkan Data Magnitudo 6,4 Menjadi 6,3". liputan6.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- Ikhsanudin, Arief (11 October 2018). "Ini Penyebab Gempa M 6,0 di Timur Laut Situbondo". detikNews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- Nasution, Dedy Darmawan (11 October 2018). "Ini Penyebab Gempa Situbondo Menurut BMKG". Republika (in Indonesian). Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- Sartika, Resa Eka Ayu (12 October 2018). "Gempa Situbondo, Ternyata Penyebabnya Belum Diketahui dan Dipetakan". KOMPAS (in Indonesian). Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "Gempa Magnitudo 6,3 di Situbondo Terasa hingga 22 Daerah". liputan6.com (in Indonesian). 11 October 2018. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- "Three dead, IMF summit shaken as strong quake hits Indonesia's Java, Bali". Channel NewsAsia. 11 October 2018. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- Kurnia, Dadang (12 October 2018). "Gempa Situbondo Sebabkan 498 Bangunan di Pulau Sapudi Rusak". Republika (in Indonesian). Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "16 Rumah di Situbondo Rusak Setelah Gempa 6,3 SR". IDN Times (in Indonesian). 12 October 2018. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "Soekarwo ke Lokasi Gempa Sapudi Sumenep: Rumah Rusak Kami Tanggung". Media Madura (in Indonesian). 11 October 2018. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "Kunjungi Pulau Sapudi di Jatim, Mensos Pastikan Negara Hadir Tangani Dampak Bencana". KOMPAS (in Indonesian). 11 October 2018. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- Boediwardhana, Wahyoe (14 October 2018). "Hundreds of houses collapse on E. Java island after powerful earthquake". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- Novianto, Raka Dwi (12 October 2018). "Pemerintah Pastikan Beri Bantuan Korban Gempa Situbondo". SINDOnews.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- Rahmatullah (23 October 2018). "Keluarga Koban Meninggal Akibat Gempa Dapat Santunan". medcom.id (in Indonesian). Retrieved 17 November 2018.