2018 European floods
|Property damage||€200 million (France)|
From 4 October 2018 to early November, heavy floods affected Europe. The floods started in the Italian region of Calabria. Then, on 9 October, the island of Mallorca, Spain was struck by floods and in the next days some cities in Southwest France, the region of Sardinia, Italy and some parts of Portugal and the United Kingdom were also struck by flash floods. At the end of the month, Italy was struck again by heavy floods and strong winds. A total of 69 people were killed: 36 in Italy, 16 in France, 13 in Spain, 2 in the United Kingdom and 2 in Portugal.
|Italy||36||On 4 October, the region of Calabria was struck by floods. A woman and her two children died when their car crashed. A bridge collapsed and roads were also damaged.
Later, on 10 October, in the city of Cagliari, Sardinia a woman died when her car was swept away. Her husband and their three children were rescued alive. Another man is currently missing in the city.
At the end of October and the beginning of November, heavy floods affected the entire country, killing 32 people, thirteen of whom in the region of Sicily. Several others were injured, the majority of these were in the cities.
Venice flooded due to an exceptionally high tide of 156 centimetres (5.12 ft) (the 4th highest acqua alta since 1923), leaving 70% of the city underwater. The Dolomites mountain range, an UNESCO World Heritage Site, and most of the mountainous region in the North-Eastern Italy (for example at the Asiago plateau) suffered many landslides and flooding due to heavy rain, with extensive communication and basic services disruption, and a great percentage of its woods was levelled by hurricane-force winds up to 190 km/h during the late afternoon of 29 October.
|France||16||France was also struck by the floods, causing damage.
On 15 October, at least 14 people died after floods affected the Aude region. A bridge also collapse in the locality of Villegailhenc, while all roads were inaccessible in Carcassonne. Damage in the region were about €200 million.
|Spain||13||On 9 October, Mallorca was severely struck, leaving 12 dead, including six foreign tourists: three from Germany, two from the United Kingdom and one from the Netherlands.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez has said it will take months to return the disaster-hit towns to normality. More than 300 rescue workers were active, including 200 that were searching for a missing boy, that was found dead days later, bringing the final death toll to 13.
|United Kingdom||2||On 13 October, two people died in United Kingdom: the first victim was a man who died in a landslide in Wales, the second victim was a man who died after entering the sea in Brighton.|
|Portugal||2||On 14 October, 2 men were found dead in Portugal, one near a church. The police said that they are not sure if these people died from storm-related causes as the causes of death were heart attacks. 28 others were injured.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2018 European floods.|
- Hurricane Leslie (2018)
- Autumn 2000 western Europe floods
- 2007 United Kingdom floods
- 2009 European floods
- 2009 Messina floods and mudslides
- 2009 Turkish flash floods
- 2010 Central European floods
- 2010 Var floods
- 2011 European floods
- 2012 Krasnodar Krai floods
- 2013 European floods
- 2014 Southeast Europe floods
- 2014 Bulgarian floods
- 2016 European floods
- 2016 Macedonian floods
- Thomas Guien (October 21, 2018). "Inondations meurtrières dans l'Aude : le montant des dégâts estimé à 200 millions d'euros" (in French). La Chaîne Info. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- Nubifragio in Calabria, trovato il corpo del bambino morto con la madre e il fratello
- Search for missing after 15 killed in Europe floods
- Pubblicato il 2 novembre 2018 Maltempo, turista uccisa da fulmine in Sardegna. Bellunese senza tregua
- Maltempo in Sicilia, 12 morti
- Disperso a Corleone, trovato in un vigneto il corpo del medico Liotta: morto a 10 km dalla sua auto
- "Acqua alta hits Venice". ANSA.
- Maltempo, nel Bellunese situazione disastrosa. Mancano anche i servizi essenziali
- Italy storms: Five dead as northern villages are cut off
- Two dead in flash floods in southern France
- France: le bilan des inondations dans l’Aude monte à 14 morts
- Hallado el cuerpo sin vida de Arthur, el niño de seis años desaparecido en la riada de Mallorca
- Rafael Nadal opens his tennis academy centre to Majorca flood victims
- Storm Callum victim named as England and Wales clean up after floods
- Duas pessoas faleceram na madrugada da passagem de Leslie. Autoridades dão informações contraditórias