This article needs to be updated.(December 2018)
|Location||Moss Side, Manchester, England|
|Date||12 August 2018|
Moss Side was hosting the Manchester Caribbean Carnival over the weekend, with over 16,000 attendees on the Saturday. The annual event attracted more participants than usual as it marked the 70th anniversary of the Windrush generation. Moss Side is described by a resident as a "volatile" inner-city area, with Sky News adding that it has "numerous gang territories and has long had problems connected with drugs and gun violence", though a local DJ interviewed about the incident said that "[i]t seemed like there was a general understanding over the last few years that everyone would just behave themselves" in Moss Side.
Mass shootings are rare in the UK, with the most recent previous being a spree shooting in Cumbria in 2010, and the one before a school shooting in Dunblane in 1996. The DJ interviewed said he had been alerted to the incident and come down because he wanted to "see this thing, because 10 people is a major thing in Manchester." The most previous major violent crime in Manchester had been the Manchester Arena bombing in 2017, in which 22 people were killed.
Reports say shots were fired at 02:25 in the morning of Sunday, 12 August 2018, on Claremont Road, a street that runs for two miles through Moss Side. Claremont Road is near Alexandra Park, the location of the festival, but the attack is seen as unrelated to the main festival, "just a street party". Police arrived on the scene "within a minute" according to sources, but a witness said that it was "quite a long time [before the police arrived] considering somebody had been shot", mentioning that there was "informal security" on the scene, and that "the ambulance was [probably] waiting for armed police [...] and then eventually the police did turn up".
When the police arrived, they reported "several hundred" people in the area, with Chief Superintendent Wasim Chaudhry describing the street as "distressing". One witness to the incident said that after he heard the first gunshot he thought it was "a balloon", similar to the initial reports of the arena bombing the year before, but then "heard two more and [...] went behind a wall" when he realised something dangerous was happening.
Twelve people were injured, with ten hospitalised, and one of these in serious condition. Nine of those injuries were said to be gunshot pellet wounds, the other was a man's broken leg. Two of the injured were children, one aged 12 and the other a teenager. Later in the day, Detective Superintendent Debbie Dooley confirmed that "most [of the injuries] do not appear to be life-threatening at this time". Several people remained in hospital overnight.
On 11 September two men, aged 24 and 30, were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and on suspicion of possession of a firearm.
- "Two children among 10 injured in Manchester shooting attack". The Irish Times. Retrieved 11 December 2019.
- "Manchester shooting: Moss Side incident treated as 'attempted multiple murder'". Sky News. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- Knight, Leah (24 April 2013). "Manchester Caribbean Carnival 2013". The Manchester Gazette. Archived from the original on 7 July 2013.
- "Moss Side shooting: Two children among 10 injured". BBC. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Mass shootings and gun control". BBC. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "From a balloon pop to a suicide bomb: witnesses in Manchester recount a night of horror". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Moss Side shooting was attempted multiple murder, police say". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Moss Side shooting: Police launch attempted murder investigation". MEN. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Moss Side shooting: Two men arrested over carnival attack". BBC News. 11 September 2018. Retrieved 12 August 2021.