2018 Parry Sound forest fire
|Parry Sound forest fire|
Parry Sound 33
|Location||Parry Sound District|
|Date(s)||July 18 - October 31, 2018 (ET)|
|Burned area||113.63 km2 (28,080 acres)|
The fire was first discovered on July 18, 2018. The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF), the Ontario government ministry responsible for battling forest fires, began immediate efforts to contain the blaze. By July 23, 2018, the fire had covered 50 km2 (12,000 acres), forcing evacuations and a state of emergency in the community of Henvey Inlet First Nation, as well as evacuations of people in French River Provincial Park.
The fire grew to 67 km2 (17,000 acres) by July 26, 2018. By July 28, 2018, the fire was within 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) of Highway 69. By August 5, the fire had grown to 112.3 km2 (27,700 acres), but the fire was successfully contained within a few days after this. On October 31, 2018 the wildfire was declared extinguished by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry.
An investigation by the MNRF ruled that the fire was started by a disabled ATV near Henvey Inlet. This confirmed unofficial reports that construction crews working on the Henvey Inlet Wind Project were unable to contain a fire started by one of their vehicles. The ministry has decided not to raise charges against the construction company.
- "Parry Sound 33 fire chars 5,000 hectares, pushes people out of Henvey Inlet and Key River area". CBC News. 2018-07-23. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Parry Sound 33 flares up again with wind". CBC News. 2018-07-26. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Forest fire update: Parry Sound 33 grows again, affected residents remain on standby". CBC News. 2018-07-28. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Fire crews hold Parry Sound 33 perimeter despite hot, windy conditions". CBC News. 2018-08-05. Retrieved 2018-08-06.
- "'Parry Sound 33' successfully contained: MNR". Toronto Sun. 2018-08-13. Retrieved 2018-08-15.
- "Parry Sound 33 finally declared out". CTV News. CTV News Northern Ontario. November 1, 2018. Retrieved November 11, 2018.
- White, Erik (February 28, 2019). "Key River cottagers concerned by results of investigation into Parry Sound 33 forest fire". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- Seglins, Dave (July 24, 2018). "Massive Ontario forest fire sparked by wind farm construction during extreme fire ban, workers allege". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- "Forest fires". Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF).