2018 United States Grand Prix
|2018 United States Grand Prix|
Race 18 of 21 in the 2018 Formula One World Championship|
Layout of the Circuit of the Americas
|Date||21 October 2018|
|Official name||Formula 1 Pirelli 2018 United States Grand Prix|
|Location||Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas, United States|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||5.513 km (3.426 mi)|
|Distance||56 laps, 308.405 km (191.634 mi)|
|Time||1:37.392 on lap 40 (lap record)|
|Second||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer|
The 2018 United States Grand Prix (formally known as the Formula 1 Pirelli 2018 United States Grand Prix) was a Formula One motor race held on 21 October 2018 at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, United States. The race was the eighteenth round of the 2018 Formula One World Championship and marked the forty-eighth running of the United States Grand Prix, the 40th time that the race run as a World Championship event since the inaugural season in 1950, and the 7th time that a World Championship round was held at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas.
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton entered the round with a 67-point lead over Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel in the World Drivers' Championship. Hamilton's team-mate, Valtteri Bottas, sat third, a further 57 points behind. In the World Constructors' Championship, Mercedes held a lead of 78 points over Ferrari, with Red Bull Racing a further 141 points behind in third place.
The race was won by Kimi Räikkönen, who made a one-stop strategy work, achieving his first Grand Prix win since the 2013 Australian Grand Prix, breaking a record-setting 113-race winless streak. It was also his first for Ferrari since rejoining the team in 2014 and Ferrari's first win in Austin.
|5||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:34.755||1:34.185||1:33.494||4|
|6||31||Esteban Ocon||Force India-Mercedes||1:34.876||1:34.522||1:34.145||6|
|10||11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||1:35.193||1:34.525||1:34.594||10|
|11||55||Carlos Sainz Jr.||Renault||1:34.891||1:34.566||11|
|13||10||Pierre Gasly||Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda||1:34.850||No time||192|
|14||28||Brendon Hartley||Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda||1:35.206||No time||203|
|15||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:34.766||No time||184|
|107% time: 1:40.719|
- ^1 – Sebastian Vettel received a three-place grid penalty for failing to slow sufficiently during a red flag period in Free Practice 1.
- ^2 – Pierre Gasly received a 35-place grid penalty for exceeding his quota of power unit elements.
- ^3 – Brendon Hartley received a 40-place grid penalty: 35 places for exceeding his quota of power unit elements and 5 places for an unscheduled gearbox change.
- ^4 – Max Verstappen received a five-place grid penalty for an unscheduled gearbox change.
- ^1 – Esteban Ocon originally finished eighth, but was disqualified for exceeding fuel flow limits on lap 1.
- ^2 – Kevin Magnussen originally finished ninth, but was disqualified for consuming more than 105 kg of fuel during the race.
Championship standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "United States". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- "Formula 1 Pirelli 2018 United States Grand Prix – Qualifying". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 20 October 2018. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- "Formula 1 Pirelli 2018 United States Grand Prix – Race Result". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 21 October 2018. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "United States 2018 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
2018 Japanese Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
2018 Mexican Grand Prix
2017 United States Grand Prix
|United States Grand Prix||Next race:|
2019 United States Grand Prix