2018 Winter Paralympics
Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Paralympics official logo
|Host city||Pyeongchang, South Korea|
Korean: 하나된 열정.
|Nations participating||42 (estimated)|
|Events||80 in 5 sports |
|Opening ceremony||9 March|
|Closing ceremony||18 March|
|Paralympic stadium||Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium|
|2018 Winter Paralympics|
The 2018 Winter Paralympics (Hangul: 평창 동계 패럴림픽; Hanja: 平昌 冬季 패럴림픽; RR: Pyeongchang Donggye Paereollimpik), officially known as the XII Paralympic Winter Games, will be held in Pyeongchang, South Korea, and is an international winter sports athletic event that has yet to be organized by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) from 9 to 18 March 2018. The International Olympic Committee (IOC), received three bids on October 15, 2009. The cities of Annecy, France in the French Alps, and Munich, Germany (host of the 1972 Summer Olympics), were also vying for the hosting rights to the 2018 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games. All three applicants were selected as Candidate cities on June 22, 2010. The winning bid was announced on July 6, 2011 at the 123rd IOC Session in Durban, South Africa.
On October 29, 2013, the new emblem was revealed for the 2018 Winter Paralympic Games in preparation of the handover from Sochi on March 16, 2014.
Pyeongchang launched its third consecutive bid for the Winter Olympic & Paralympic Games, which ultimately won. Munich also launched a bid to host. Annecy launched a bid but failed to gain public support from locals. Their bid ultimately just received seven votes. Only these three cities made bids for these games and all three became candidates.
The ticket prices for the 2018 Winter Paralympics were announced on 8 June 2017 and tickets will go on sale on 21 August 2017. Prices for sporting event tickets range from ₩16,000 to 50,000 (approx. $15-45). Opening and closing ceremony tickets range from ₩10,000 to ₩140,000 (approx. $9-125).
Competitions in the 2018 Winter Paralympics will be held in six Winter Paralympic sports, with 80 medal events in total. Snowboarding will be expanded into a separate discipline for 2018, with 10 medal events (in 2014, two medal events in snowboarding were held within the alpine skiing programme).
- Alpine skiing (30) ( )
- Biathlon (18) ( )
- Cross-country skiing (20) ( )
- Ice sledge hockey (1) ( )
- Snowboarding (10) ( )
- Wheelchair curling (1) ( )
Participating National Paralympic Committees
Russia is currently suspended by the International Paralympic Committee, so status remains unclear due to the state-sponsored doping program scandal. However, it is possible to Russia to qualify as neutral participants.
- Alpensia Resort – Biathlon, cross country skiing
- Main Olympic Village – Athletes Village
- Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium – Awards and Opening and Closing Ceremonies
Stand Alone Venue
Bandabi, an Asiatic black bear, was announced as the official mascot of 2018 Winter Paralympics.
|Sponsors of the 2018 Winter Paralympics |
|Worldwide Paralympic Partners|
- , International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
- Applicant Cities, International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
- "PyeongChang 2018 ticket prices announced". www.paralympic.org. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- "PyeongChang 2018 Paralympic Winter Games Ticket Prices Announced". Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- "With one year until 2018 Winter Games, Russia's status murky". 2017-02-09.
- PyeongChang 2018 Alpensia Resort and water park complete and full for summer season Archived 2012-03-12 at the Wayback Machine.
- Jeongseon Alpine Centre to host Para alpine skiing and snowboard in 2018
XII Paralympic Winter Games (2018)