2018 in Bangladesh
|See also:||Other events of 2018|
List of years in Bangladesh
2018 (MMXVIII) is the current year, and is a common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2018th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 18th year of the 3rd millennium, the 18th year of the 21st century, and the 9th year of the 2010s decade.
The year 2018 is the 47th year after the independence of Bangladesh. It is also the fifth year of the third term of the Government of Sheikh Hasina.
- President: Abdul Hamid
- Prime Minister: Sheikh Hasina
- Chief Justice: Syed Mahmud Hossain
- Speaker of Jatiya Sangsad: Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury
- 10 january - Tablighi Jamaat holds a mass blockade protesting against and preventing the entry of Indian Scholar Maulana Saad Kandhalvi to the holy Islamic gathering for the Bishwa Ijtema, who is forced to return home in face of the protests.
- 08 February - Ex Prime Minister and BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia as per court verdict is jailed for 5 years in the Zia Charitable Trust corruption case. She is imprisoned in old Dhaka Central Jail located in Nazimuddin Road.
- 18 March - Bangladesh lost to India in a closely contested T-20 Cricket Match in the Final of 2018 Nidahas Trophy.
- 11 April - The Prime Minister announced the abolition of Quota system in Government recruitment in response to Bangladesh Quota Reform Protests 2018.
- 05 May - Unidentified gunmen ambushed and assassinated 5 people in Rangamati district, including UPDF leader Tapan Jyoti Chakma. It is suspected the attack was caused by internal conflicts between rival Chackma factions. This is the deadliest such incident involving the indigenous tribal Chackma people since the signing of the Chittagong Hill Tracts Peace Accord in 1997.
- 23 June - 52 people are killed in road accident in a single day as people were returning from Eid Vacation. This is the country's highest reported number of casualties from a road crash in a single day in recent times.
- 29 July - 08 August - 0n 29 July two college students are killed and nine others injured when a reckless driving Bus hit them in the capital Dhaka. Students all over the city carried out mass protests demanding punishment of the culprits and to put an end to reckless driving in the country.
- 06 August - Bangladesh won the 3 match T-20 Cricket series against the defending T-20 Cricket Champions, West indies, 2-1.
- 22 September - In a massive rally, the newly formed coalition Jatiya Oikya Prokriya, a platform led by Dr Kamal Hossain, issued an ultimatum from the rally for the three-point demand to be met by September 30. The demands include: 1. Formation of a polls-time neutral government, 2. effective steps for reconstituting the Election Commission, 3. dissolution of parliament before the announcement of the election schedule. Several top leaders of the main opposition party BNP showed their support and shared the stage with Dr Kamal Hossain and his alliance at a citizens' rally in the capital and vowed joint movement to accomplish the three-point demands.
- 08 October - Bangladesh under 18 women's football team won the 2018 SAFF U-18 Women's Championship.
- 10 October - Court verdict against the 2004 grenade attack is given. Top BNP leaders Lutfuzzaman Babar was given the death penalty and Tariqe Rahman was given life term imprisonment. BNP rejected the verdict and carried out protests against it.
- 04 November - Bangladesh national under-15 football team won the 2018 SAFF U-15 Championship, defeating Pakistan national under-15 football team in the final.
- 16 November - Bangladesh ties the two match test cricket series against Zimbabwe, 1-1, after beating Zimbabwe in the 2nd and final test match by a historic 218 runs.
- 16 January – Shammi Akhtar, singer
- 25 January – Shawkat Ali, writer (b. 1936)
- 6 March – Ferdousi Priyabhashini, sculptor (b. 1947)
- 21 March – Noorjahan Kakon Bibi, freedom fighter and secret agent (b. 1915)
- 24 April – Belal Chowdhury, poet (b. 1938)
- 22 May –
- "Tabligh-Jamaat demo halts Dhaka traffic". thedailystar.net. 10 January 2018.
- "Khaleda lands in jail for corruption". thedailystar.net. 8 February 2018.
- "Gun attack kills 5 in Rangamati". thedailystar.net. 5 May 2018.
- "Shooting at Naniarchar: 'Attackers came in 2 groups; target was Tapan'". thedailystar.net. 6 May 2018.
- "Deadliest day for travellers". 24 June 2018.
- CNN, Sugam Pokharel, Farid Ahmed and Bard Wilkinson,. "Bangladesh protests: How students brought Dhaka to a halt".
- "Bangladesh is now able to beat any team in T20s, says Shakib".
- "Former adviser to caretaker government Dhiraj Kumar Nath dies at 73". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "Oral saline inventor no more". 6 March 2018.
- "Ex-president Dr Iajuddin's wife Anwara Begum dies". 22 April 2018.
- "Former BNP minister M Shamsul Islam dies". 26 April 2018.
- "Prof Mustafa Nur-Ul Islam passes away". 10 May 2018.
- "Actress Tazin Ahmed dies of heart attack".
- "Ex-NSU VC Hafiz GA Siddiqi dies". 22 May 2018.
- Actress Rani Sarkar passes away
- "Former minister Kalparanjan Chakma dies at 100".
- Independent, The. "Ex-whip Mostafa Suja passes away".