2018 in Belgium
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||Other events of 2018|
List of years in Belgium
Events in the year 2018 in Belgium.
- 1 January
- 13 January — Angeline Flor Pua wins Miss Belgium 2018
- 3 February — Insyriated wins in six categories at the 8th Magritte Awards, including Best Film and Best Director
- 17 May — 2-year-old Mawda Shawri killed by a police bullet
- 29 May — Two police officers and a civilian bystander killed in 2018 Liège attack
- 2 July — A Belgian man and his Iranian wife were arrested after plotting a bomb attack against a Mujahedeen Khalq rally in France.
- 31 August — Summer of 2018 is the hottest in almost 200 years
- 14 October – Local elections
- 9 December – a political crisis emerged over whether to sign the Global Compact for Migration; N-VA is against whereas the other three parties support it. On December 4, the Prime Minister of Belgium, Charles Michel, announced that the issue would be taken to parliament for a vote. On 5 December, parliament voted 106 to 36 in favor of backing the agreement. Michel stated that he would endorse the pact on behalf of the parliament, not on behalf of the divided government. Consequently, N-VA quit the government; the other three parties continue as a minority government (Michel II).
- Rod Austin (18 May 2018). "Two-year-old girl dies after incident involving armed police in Belgium". The Guardian.
- Rod Austin; Jennifer Rankin (18 May 2018). "Belgian authorities admit two-year-old girl was shot after police chase". The Guardian.
- Rod Austin (25 May 2018). "Belgian police who shot dead two-year-old 'want to justify' tragedy, says lawyer". The Guardian.
- Daniel Boffey (29 May 2018). "Belgians' anger grows over status of parents of girl killed by police". The Guardian.
- "Summer of 2018 is the hottest in almost 200 years". VRT. 31 August 2018.
- Casert, Raf (4 December 2018). "Dispute over UN migration pact fractures Belgian government". The Washington Post.
- "Belgian PM wins backing for UN migration pact". France 24. 5 December 2018. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- "Belgian PM Charles Michel wins backing for UN migration pact". www.timesnownews.com. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- "Singer Maurane dies days after comeback in Belgium". BBC News. BBC. 8 May 2018.
|This Belgium-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|