2018 in Guatemala
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following lists events in the year 2018 in Guatemala.
- 14 January - President Morales presents his second government report and begins his second term in government amid corruption allegations and protests with Álvaro Arzú Escobar taking office as President of the Congress, despite also being accused of corruption.
- 23 January - President Morales dismisses allegations of embezzlement after questions relating to his spending on high cost luxury items.
- 26 January - Williams Mansilla, former Defense Minister, is arrested for possible corruption in collusion with President Morales with the Attorney General requesting another Supreme Court consideration to impeach Morales.
- 13 February - Former President Alvaro Colom and his entire cabinet were arrested for alleged involved in corruption cases being investigated by the CICIG and detained at the Mariscal Zavala Military Center.
- 1 April - Former President Efrain Rios Montt dies ending the trials of genocide against him.
- 15 April – Guatemalan territorial dispute referendum, 2018, on whether the Guatemalan government should request the International Court of Justice to finally resolve the Belizean–Guatemalan territorial dispute.
- 3 June – Volcán de Fuego Eruption up in air, 38 people dies, 100 injured report, last time bigger Eruption since 1974.
- 24 February – Óscar Julio Vian Morales, Roman Catholic prelate (b. 1947)
- 31 March – Margarita Carrera, philosopher, professor and writer (b. 1929)
- "Guatemala: A Polemic Year in Government for Jimmy Morales". 2018-01-14. Retrieved 2018-04-30.
- "Guatemala leader Jimmy Morales dismisses expenses furore". 2018-01-23. Retrieved 2018-04-30.
- "Former Guatemala defense minister arrested on corruption charges". 2018-01-27. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Guatemala detains ex-President Alvaro Colom in fraud case". 2018-02-13. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Efrain Rios Montt: Guatemala ex-leader tried for genocide dies". 2018-04-01. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Fallece Elmar Rojas, uno de los grandes maestros de la plástica guatemalteca". prensalibre.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Lawyer: Ex-Guatemala dictator Efrain Rios Montt dies at 91". ABC News. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Alvaro Arzu, Who Signed Guatemala's Peace Accord, Dies". Associated Press. Retrieved 28 April 2018.